The Restaurant thread

I don't mind the burger itself from 5 Guys but for the money, it's not worth it.  The only time I've been there lately is is I'm with someone who has never tried it but wants to give it a go.

Haven't been to Harvey's in years... maybe I'll have to give that another go.

Where is Harvey's here?  I know there used to be on pembina years ago.

I saw one the other day on Portage (near the U of W) beside a Panago & Pizza Pizza.  It was near the corner of Portage & Langside.  I don't know of any others in the city though.

Is Skinners in Lockport still around? I hear Wet 'n Wild is closed down... Okay, okay, I've been gone a long time...

Skinners is alive and well - I go there because they have blue licorice ice cream (blue tongue is the bane of my wife's existence)

Half Moon around the corner is pretty great too.

Is it a Harveys thats opening on Corydon @ Stafford?

Harveys has been open at Portage/Langside for quite some time. Really good and quality management - say hello to Prince if you go.

Harveys also opening at old Chicken Delight location on Corydon/Stafford with a hybrid Harveys/Swiss Chalet duet. Construction seems to proceeding well - I suspect it will open no later than September 1st, perhaps a bit earlier.

I went to State and Main at kp last night, kind of like Moxies and original joes type of place. I found the prices reasonable and the portion size and quality was really good.

I definitely recommend it.

It's owned by the same company as Original Joe's.  When they 1st opened S&M, it pretty much had the exact same menu as OJ's.  I haven't been to either place lately though so I don't know how much the menu's vary now.

I had read somewhere that the chain decided to go with S&M due to the amount of "Joe" restaurants here.  Dont know if thats true but it sounds reasonable, between Original Joe's, Average Joe's, Joey's, Joey's Fish & Chips.  I think S&M is supposed to be a bit higher end but I havent been.  Might have to give it a try. 

It looks like original joes but it tasted way better for me.

The oj on kenaston always seems mediocre when my coworkers and I go. Maybe the chef just sucks?

I also drove by and found out Woody on pembina closed shop. That place was mediocre.

The oj on kenaston always seems mediocre when my coworkers and I go. Maybe the chef just sucks?

I also drove by and found out Woody on pembina closed shop. That place was mediocre.

Was that the one on Pembina and Grant?

Yes. That place closed fairly quickly if I'm not mistaken. A buddy went and said it was awful.

Had state & main today. Really enjoyed it.

I reviewed on ob.com Woody's and it was very sub par. The few times me and the co workers went it was just bland and the meat was very dried out.

I am not hard to please in terms of food, so I enjoy just about anything, but when I have been the city I have gone to

Un or "Nu"burger

Famous Dave's

Obby Khan's place

Stella's

There is one or two other places that I can't quite recall. One might be Barley Bros, I seem to remember something similar to what was described earlier.

Chop near the airport is pretty decent, went there the other week, was really good, reasonable prices too.

Gonna throw this one out there, it's very much a dive but for some reason, i find the dive looking places to be some of the best food around.. Casa Grande. It's a pizza place but it's pretty neat. Very intimate setting there. Dark and yeah, good place for a date also. 

I drove by yesterday. Woody prolly should have been closed the day after it opened by the sound of reviews after its demise. Really dried out product and no attention to detail in the kitchen or at the tables. Obvioulsy, the folks who bought the franchise didn't have much interest in food service or serving the public. Just thought they could serve slop to folks who don't know any better and wanted to just get a sniff of the wood-fried element.

Also, that location on Pembina and Grant is almost instant death for a restaurant/cafe. Nobody wants to go there during rush hours cuz of the traffic fuss plus getting out is a problem, too. 

Chop is sort of hit or miss. It was exceptional for awhile but I find it's dropped a bit. But still very good! Definitely have the steak bites appetizer

Yummmmm.

The steak bites appetizer is pretty hearty for the price too - almost better than the steak entree we had.

Chop is sort of hit or miss. It was exceptional for awhile but I find it's dropped a bit. But still very good! Definitely have the steak bites appetizer

Yummmmm.

The steak bites appetizer is pretty hearty for the price too - almost better than the steak entree we had.

Exactly. We often joke about just having a salad, steak bites, the free bread and leave.