The Restaurant thread

Are you thinking about Chez Sophie?  I've heard great things about their pizza and it's quite small.  Not on St. Mary's though.

No, that's not it. The place I'm thinking of is a fair ways South down St. Mary's Rd.

Two restaurants come to mind.  Chianti's and Santa Anna.  Santa Anna's has about 12 tables so I'm putting chips down on Chianti's.

529's burger is up there, but I wouldn't say it's the best.

I'm with TUP, I love Johnny's on Marion for fatboys as well as Dairy Delight.  Both are my top ranked burgers in Winnipeg.  Dairy Delight also has top notch milkshakes.  They're mmm, mmm good.

Went to Moxie's the other day and tried the braised short rib stuffed burger...that was really good.  The ribs at Moxie's are pretty good too.  I'll have to try the ribs at Montana's.

Gotta head home, more to come tomorrow.

Are you thinking about Chez Sophie?  I've heard great things about their pizza and it's quite small.  Not on St. Mary's though.

No, that's not it. The place I'm thinking of is a fair ways South down St. Mary's Rd.

Two restaurants come to mind.  Chianti's and Santa Anna.  Santa Anna's has about 12 tables so I'm putting chips down on Chianti's.

It was Santa Anna. I thought it was smaller than that, but I only went in to pick up my pizzas so I didn't spend much time in there. Either way, it was delicious.

Are you talking about the one that won a bunch of awards ... Diana's Gourmet Pizza which I think is on St Anne's?

Diana's went belly up. Kaye's Auction just yapped off all their stuff!

I actually grabbed a sandwich from Myers Deli today.  They have great sandwiches and also a lot of other stuff that you might not expect, like freshly made bean salads, etc.  Their sandwiches have a lot of meat in them.  I like the 200 gram size, but they go up to one pound.... 454 grams.  But the 200 is the perfect size, IMO.

I actually grabbed a sandwich from Myers Deli today.  They have great sandwiches and also a lot of other stuff that you might not expect, like freshly made bean salads, etc.  Their sandwiches have a lot of meat in them.  I like the 200 gram size, but they go up to one pound.... 454 grams.  But the 200 is the perfect size, IMO.

What did that sammich cost ya? I suspect around $8 or $8.50; same price as a hot dog at IGF....

My guess with Ace Burpee's "Market Burger" is that Ace had so many great ideas putting together a burger joint that no group of staff could possibly handle all of them. When it gets complex the beauty of simplicity is invariably lost!

They were out of even the basics like pickles, half of the cheeses on the menu, vegan burger, relish etc...

I'd say they had about 12 tables total... Two waitresses and 1.5 hour ticket times on burgers which is awful.

For burgers I used to go to dairy wip, I now go to zaxx or dairy delight.

What did that sammich cost ya? I suspect around $8 or $8.50; same price as a hot dog at IGF....

Yes you know what I think it is 8.00.  I also got a bag of chips, a big pickle, and an old-timey root beer and it ended up being around 15.  Not much more than I would spend at Subway and I would say the meal size is comparable.  I believe they may also have different meal deals that I failed to take advantage of.

Original Joes just has poor tasting dishes, we have gone three times and I'd say the majority of us leave unimpressed with the taste.

The jalapeño Mac and cheese with chorizo was bland. I only had a couple of pieces of meat despite paying 3 dollars to add it and had a whopping one jalapeño ring.

The quantity on the other dishes are good but quality is much lower then Earls.

Famous Dave's Mac and cheese is much better. And overall the place is much better then oj

Original Joe's is overrated and overpriced for what you get. Service is so so too.

I'll give you overpriced, but I think the food's very good.

plus their house beer is pretty solid too. 

I forgot about that. What is it called? I had one, but I can't remember if I liked it or not.

Original Joe's is overrated and overpriced for what you get. Service is so so too.

I'll give you overpriced, but I think the food's very good.

plus their house beer is pretty solid too. 

I forgot about that. What is it called? I had one, but I can't remember if I liked it or not.

They've got 3 or 4 different kinds, a blonde, a red, a brown and maybe one other. They're all pretty solid, nothing spectacular but better than having to order one of the gross mass produced beers. 

Saucer's Cafe on Academy is really good for sandwiches.  Their turkey asparagus melt is amazing.

Agreed!  

I also loved Nikos on Corydon now that I think about it.

Yes, Nikos is good.  I always get their reuben sandwiches there.

Colosseo on Corydon is pretty good for pizza too.

Saucer's Cafe on Academy is really good for sandwiches.  Their turkey asparagus melt is amazing.

Agreed!  

I also loved Nikos on Corydon now that I think about it.

Yes, Nikos is good.  I always get their reuben sandwiches there.

Colosseo on Corydon is pretty good for pizza too.

Nikos wasn't good. It was great. But greatness has a price and most of theirs were bumped 30 to 50% recently!

... Can you tell I'm homesick for Winnipeg restaurants?  You can rag on them all you want, but they seem to be miles above the ones in Calgary - here service is SO much worse, I swear to god.  My theory is everyone here has money and tips anyway.  

Didn't know you lived out here... I miss the BDI now that it's summer & Chicken Delight.