The Restaurant thread

I was going to post about my specific experience but figured this thread, like many others, would expand into related or unrelated areas so lets be more general.

Discuss good and bad experiences around Winnipeg restaurants.

I went to Kawaii Crepe for the third time last night.  And while I love the crepes, the service is horrendous.

First time I went about a month ago, to the Osborne location.  It was pretty busy and it took a long time to make our order.  Because it was busy I assumed that was the reason (though they werent firing all the crepe grills, or whatever you call them).

Second time, we went to the St Mary's location.  Pretty busy and again took quite a long time.  But they finished my crepe and let it sit on the counter getting cold while they made my gf's.  Keep in mind, these were ordered together.  The only difference being that my gf's was a vegan crepe.

Third time, last night, my order was completed very quickly but they didnt even start my gf's for about ten minutes after I got mine.  What angered me was there was a lot of employees (it wasn't busy) and three of them were chit chatting about something non-work related while one girl manned the grilles.

When a buddy I was texting with asked me what was on my crepe, I snapped a pic of the menu board and was then snapped at my one of the employees that "taking pictures of the menu is not allowed".  lol

Two thumbs up for the Crepes.  Two thumbs down for the service.

On an unrelated note, Tony Roma's (pembina location) was abysmal the last three times I went.  Over-cooked, bland food.  Service was fine but food, not so much.

Cibo on Waterfront was really good, really great prices too for what you got. Only thing that was weird ... I don't know if we went in the middle of a shift change but there were more staff than customers in the building and only like 2 or 3 of them actually appeared to be working, which is awkward when the whole thing is open concept.

*FINALLY* going to Myers Deli on the weekend. Will report back.

Other than that, I usually don't frequent unique places so that's it for me.

Does the Cibo in Winnipeg have the $5 pizza happy hour they have in Calgary?  It's pretty much my favourite.

Places I like to hit up when I go to Winnipeg -

For a "different" taste:

- Bistro 7 1/4 

- Deer + Almond

For lunch:

- 529 Wellington (very reasonably priced lunch menu for the quality)

- Sun Fortune for Chinese

- Line up

- Carbone's ($13 for drink, salad + pizza?  yes plz)

For date nights:

- The Current

- Steppin' Out

Sports/Bars:

- I still like Original Joe's if I want to watch sports.  You can see the game but still have a conversation.  Good quality and well priced food.  Compared to the ones in Calgary, miles above. 

- King's Head if it's not a busy night

Market Burger is possibly the combination of worst service + food value ever.  They seem terrible at stocking food so are "out" of their features all the damn time.  I have a friend who is obsessed with this place and I just cannot stand it. I used to think Unburger was bad until I went there; now Unburger is quite a welcome change.

Unburger was shut down for "renovations" (ie. they were closed due to health code violations).  Reopening as NuBurger was there way of distancing themselves from the gross online reports I believe.  I still havent tried it though I have heard good things.

Market burger was all the rage when it opened but I havent been there yet either.

Buddy has been out to a burger join in Stonewall that he raves about but I cant remember the name.  Best burger I have had is Johnny's on Marion.  As for OJ's, I like it but conversation?? Not a chance.  Much too loud.  I do enjoy Joey's though.

This might sound strange but the Four Points on Pembina HWY has a great pizza.

Unburger was shut down for "renovations" (ie. they were closed due to health code violations).  Reopening as NuBurger was there way of distancing themselves from the gross online reports I believe.  I still havent tried it though I have heard good things.

Market burger was all the rage when it opened but I havent been there yet either.

Buddy has been out to a burger join in Stonewall that he raves about but I cant remember the name.  Best burger I have had is Johnny's on Marion.  As for OJ's, I like it but conversation?? Not a chance.  Much too loud.  I do enjoy Joey's though.

This might sound strange but the Four Points on Pembina HWY has a great pizza.

My co worker who is a restaurant connoisseur said 4 points is one of the best places for any food in town.  

I like Luxalune on Osborne. Lots of variety in their beer selection and they have good appetizers. I've never had an actual full meal there before. I'm not 100% sure they even do more than appetizers.

Kings Head is another favourite. My wife works approx. 2 blocks away, so we go there for lunch often. Lunch menu is pretty cheap and good beer selection.

In my experience:

Best nachos: Carlos & Murphy's

Best pizza: Santa Lucia, although there's a place on St. Mary's whose name escapes me, that was also very good. It was very small, maybe 6 tables in the entire place.

Best wings: Tony Roma's. I friggin' love them. They have a lot of cheap nights too.

Best ribs: Montana's. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I've been to quite a few rib joints around the city & I thought they had the best. Famous Dave's is grossly overrated. Maybe I went to soon after they opened and they hadn't got their stuff together yet, but I was unimpressed. I haven't been to Lovey's yet, so my rating could change.

Gross about Applebee's.  Tony Roma's was definitely my go-to for wings :(isn't it cheap like Sunday - Thursday?)

Are you thinking about Chez Sophie?  I've heard great things about their pizza and it's quite small.  Not on St. Mary's though.

Montana's ribs ARE good, but the rest of the menu is just crap.  Definitely can't recommend them for anything but ribs.  That said, you should definitely check Lovey's out. 

Does the Cibo in Winnipeg have the $5 pizza happy hour they have in Calgary?  It's pretty much my favourite.

For a "different" taste:

- Bistro 7 1/4 

- Deer + Almond

For lunch:

- Line up

For date nights:

- The Current

- Steppin' Out

Sports/Bars:

- I still like Original Joe's if I want to watch sports.  You can see the game but still have a conversation.  Good quality and well priced food.  Compared to the ones in Calgary, miles above. 

Market Burger is possibly the combination of worst service + food value ever.  They seem terrible at stocking food so are "out" of their features all the damn time.  I have a friend who is obsessed with this place and I just cannot stand it. I used to think Unburger was bad until I went there; now Unburger is quite a welcome change.

UnBurger or Nuburger as they now call themselves remains garbage regardless of the name. Haven't been to Market Burger but I expected more with one of the owner/investors being Ace Burpee. 

When I hear "service is horrendous" you could probably apply this to 80% or more of Winnipeg restaurants. Tony Romas does have good servers but their kitchen has fallen down in recent years while you now have to shell out over $24 for a scrimpy order of ribs. 

My favourites -

Santa Lucia - 905 Corydon - you have to wait a bit longer than usual for the food but its worth it.

Rae & Jerry's - best combo of elegance and old style service in the city. Prices around the same as Tony Romas - quality is double.

House of Pizza - in Pemby Motel - great take out or deliver, best thin crust pies in town (most of the time; consistency not always their forte)

I had an awful experience at Market Burger .... waited an hour for our drinks....  2 hours for our burgers..... they only had half the stuff on the menu on a Saturday Night.     Fries were really tasty but the 15 dollar burger was extremely bland.

Montana's has a much better burger!!  

I will have to try Rae & Jerry's again as the ONE time I went there I was unimpressed.  The bread was atrocious.  maybe I just dont know my breads but I could have used them as billy clubs they were so hard (someone told me they were for dipping in soup...?)

Used to be a regular Santa Lucia customer and I still like them but I wouldnt say their the best pizza (for me, ofcourse if you ask 100 people for best pizza, you'll get at least 20 replies).  For chain pizza, I like Tony's on pembina and Papa Johns.  Hate to admit it but I've been into Pizza Hut again lately too.  But like I said Four Points on Pembina has great pizza. 

For steak, Ill compare Keg, Chop, Tony Romas, Hy's, Round Table...Keg wins.  Chop used to be awesome (and I do like their Steak Bites) but their quality has dropped.  And whats with nowhere having a good Blue Cheese (or gorgonzola) steak?  Chop used to have their's stuffed with Gorgonzola, now its a weak, barely-there "sauce".  Rounce Table's isnt much better, though overall their food is great but for value, Keg is still the best.

For a "different" taste:

- Bistro 7 1/4 

- Deer + Almond

For lunch:

- Line up

For date nights:

- The Current

- Steppin' Out

Sports/Bars:

Recently told Steppin Out is now permenantly closed.

I had an awful experience at Market Burger .... waited an hour for our drinks....  2 hours for our burgers..... they only had half the stuff on the menu on a Saturday Night.     Fries were really tasty but the 15 dollar burger was extremely bland.

Havent been to Market, but comparing Burgers at these places:

Montanas

Earls

Joeys

Boston Pizza

Moxies

Joey's a nose a head of Moxies.  Both very good burgers.

Havent been to Market, but comparing Burgers at these places:

Montanas

Earls

Joeys

Boston Pizza

Moxies

Joey's a nose a head of Moxies.  Both very good burgers.

The Kahuna Burger at Original Joe's is my favourite. Pineapple in a hamburger is a brilliant idea.Of the ones you listed, I'd go with Moxies, but I've never been to Joey's before.

Recently told Steppin Out is now permenantly closed.

Bummer.  It was a great little place.  Went there when I got my iron ring!

Good to know I'm not the only one.  Just shite service and food at market burger.  As for Montana's... I like my burger's not frozen and from a case, thanks.  

For the record, 529 Wellington's lunch burger for $11 is absolutely, hands down, without question, the best I've had in the city.

... Can you tell I'm homesick for Winnipeg restaurants?  You can rag on them all you want, but they seem to be miles above the ones in Calgary - here service is SO much worse, I swear to god.  My theory is everyone here has money and tips anyway.  

Burger joints in Stonewall?  Lol.  The Kiln, maybe, but nothing worth raving about.  I've never been to Cravings but I guess there's COULD be good. 

OJ's on Grant?  Never had an issue there.  Maybe it's changed.

Whoops, not Stonewall.  Its Stony Mountain.  And the burger joint is called The Summit.

Are you thinking about Chez Sophie?  I've heard great things about their pizza and it's quite small.  Not on St. Mary's though.

No, that's not it. The place I'm thinking of is a fair ways South down St. Mary's Rd.

Are you talking about the one that won a bunch of awards ... Diana's Gourmet Pizza which I think is on St Anne's?