The Restaurant thread

I used to love Chicken Delight pizza, but the St Annes location tastes different than the Pembina HWY location (St Annes = better) so I stopped ordering it.

Havent BDI in a long while and must try them again.  Whenever I go Im determined to have a Goog special and then chicken out on trying something new (after the long wait in line) and just end up with a Flurry.  Side note: Im sure I remember DQ Blizzards being better.  The last couple of seasons the candy/whatever is mostly in the bottom rather than mixed throughout.

Drove by the BDI last nite. Only about 100 folks waiting in line with 2 serving windows. I suspect those at the back might be waiting 45 minutes to over an hour. But thats their prerogative! 

I hate waiting 10 or 15 minutes in a Timmy or Mickey D drive-thru. (especially when the car(s) in front of me can't get their order straight or find a common language to communicate with the order-taker)

Im with you on the waiting Nate.  I avoid Timmy's at peak times unless there's something good on the radio.  I usually hit of Starbucks because for some reason no one uses their drive through.

McD's (I almost never go there now) is usually pretty quick.  They built an "Express" drive thru on Pembina years ago (it orginally had no sit down restaurant) and it was ALWAYS the slowest McD's in town.  Hilarious.

Part of why I havent been to Kawaii Creme is the length of time to make my order.  Im glad its fresh but it just seems like a bunch of kids working there that dont really give a crap.

Im with you on the waiting Nate.  I avoid Timmy's at peak times unless there's something good on the radio.  I usually hit of Starbucks because for some reason no one uses their drive through.

McD's (I almost never go there now) is usually pretty quick.  They built an "Express" drive thru on Pembina years ago (it orginally had no sit down restaurant) and it was ALWAYS the slowest McD's in town.  Hilarious.

Part of why I havent been to Kawaii Creme is the length of time to make my order.  Im glad its fresh but it just seems like a bunch of kids working there that dont really give a crap.

I guess folks wait inordinate amounts of time at BDI cuz its one of the few places service is actually good to great in Wpg. When I hear the horror stories about Market Burger, Unburger, Tim's, Tony Romo's, Original Joes, etc. I'm glad I'm not burning money in these places. 

It actually struck me when I was at Starbucks this week that they are incredibly friendly and personable there.  Great service.

Is Market Burger actually owned by Ace Burpee or is he a figure head for the PR?

My information initially had him down as the founder. Upon further examination he could be deemed 'an investor'. Due to the putrid reviews of the place Ace has obviously decided to refrain from doing PR for the place - heck he might have decided to sell back his share of the thing!

... Can you tell I'm homesick for Winnipeg restaurants?  You can rag on them all you want, but they seem to be miles above the ones in Calgary - here service is SO much worse, I swear to god.  My theory is everyone here has money and tips anyway.  

Didn't know you lived out here... I miss the BDI now that it's summer & Chicken Delight. 

Moved last summer (where've you been, iso??) - don't know how long I'll be staying though.  I play on the WWCFL team here so I think I'll be here until July next year - I think our coaches are on the CFLhorsemen forums? 

So close to starting a Calgary/Alberta restaurant thread, there seems to be enough MBB people here, and I have a hard time finding anything good around here that's doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I worked at Chicken Delight, sooooo I have pretty much no desire to ever eat there again :P  I honestly cannot tell the difference between BDI and any other ice cream place.  Maybe because I didn't grow up in Winnipeg?

Im not sure BDI's attraction is that their ice cream is "special", though I seem to recall it's creamier.  Its just the idea of it.  I know people that swear by Banana Boat but if I want ice cream, why go there when I can go down the street to DQ?  BDI is the whole experience - all the poeple, the fact its seasonal, walking over the bridge while you eat etc.

Whooooo cares who owns what, it's **** service and **** food, sorry to say.  Too bad, it's a waste of a rooftop patio.

Well, Ace Burpee is a well-known and respected radio broadcaster. I don't know how he can tolerate the level of anger and vehemence towards his first foray into the burger biz.

??? I'm sure he's sleeping fine.  It's been said many times that Winnipeg is one of the hardest places to startup a restaurant.  If he didn't know that going into the industry, he's deserves all of it.  He can feel comforted knowing:

• people have given them numerous opportunities to improve their service and food quality
  • people don't like it regardless of who owns it
  • people are going anyway because of the location
  • without the inventory and servers, costs must be low!  And the prices are so high it must have a nice profit margin.

100% confirm that he's part of the owner ship.

I don't think it will last because they didn't even turn over tables when I was there. They *could* of done triple the business during my visit. Lots of lost opportunities.

With its small size it needs people coming and going. When I go to zaxx during lunch time at most I wait 10 minutes. Usually within 30 minutes we arrive eat and leave and someone then takes our table.

TBH, I find most of the restaurants in the Osborne/Corydon/River Heights area to be massively overrated just because it is a trendy area.

Carlos and Murphy's and Billabong are ok.  Luxalune's food is awful, Kawaii Crepe is hipster heaven, but if you don't appreciate staff who don't give a poop about what they are doing and being in that atmosphere for half an hour waiting for a crepe that takes 2 minutes to make, don't bother.

Unburger/Nuburger used to be excellent, but there is no quality control there.  I've been served ground beef there that was barely heated, let alone cooked.  Wildly inconsistent.  I've only been to Market Burger once, the wait was long, but the meat was cooked and the burger overall was good.  Stella's has been trending down, although the new location at the U of W is pretty good, only been there once though.

BDI is meh for me.  I'll take one Sweet Tops fresh banana milkshake over a million "googs."

I love The Grove though.  That is one place that is underrated.

TBH, I find most of the restaurants in the Osborne/Corydon/River Heights area to be massively overrated just because it is a trendy area.

Carlos and Murphy's and Billabong are ok.  Luxalune's food is awful, Kawaii Crepe is hipster heaven, but if you don't appreciate staff who don't give a poop about what they are doing and being in that atmosphere for half an hour waiting for a crepe that takes 2 minutes to make, don't bother.

Unburger/Nuburger used to be excellent, but there is no quality control there.  I've been served ground beef there that was barely heated, let alone cooked.  Wildly inconsistent.  I've only been to Market Burger once, the wait was long, but the meat was cooked and the burger overall was good.  Stella's has been trending down, although the new location at the U of W is pretty good, only been there once though.

BDI is meh for me.  I'll take one Sweet Tops fresh banana milkshake over a million "googs."

I love The Grove though.  That is one place that is underrated.

Carlos & Murphy has nice beer but the food and service is weak. Last time i was at Luxalune's the food was OK but it was lunch-time. Haven't been to Crepe place. Unburger, agreed is wildly inconsistent - the meat is never checked for proper cooking. Last time I got a pink-eyed special when I asked for it medium well. I'm sure it will go down in flames (pun intended) in short order (can't help myself) with its awful product and high prices. Stellas has started having quality control problems (anticipated) as they grow to gigantic proportions. The Sherbrook loc. is still OK but poor parking options, lots of tow trucks and steadily increasing prices have resulted in 300-400 folks a day going thru vs. 600 to 750 (I know one of the veteran servers there who relies on tips which are down a third) - Stellas Osborne Village outlet is a crowded affair thats busy from 7am to 2pm but tends to die after 3. I like their club sandwich and salad with is only $12.50 including tax.

Drove by the BDI last nite. Only about 100 folks waiting in line with 2 serving windows. I suspect those at the back might be waiting 45 minutes to over an hour. But thats their prerogative! 

I hate waiting 10 or 15 minutes in a Timmy or Mickey D drive-thru. (especially when the car(s) in front of me can't get their order straight or find a common language to communicate with the order-taker)

BDI is seasonal & sooo worth it in the end. As is the walk over the Elm Park Bridge on a warm summer evening!! I'll wait as I would only go 3 or 4 times a summer when I lived in Winnipeg & make a point of it when I'm in the City. 

Sweet Tops is fantastic ice cream,  I used to go to Sub Zero but once the old guy died it hasn't been the same.  

Osborne area...  Burrito Del Rio is always money and great value for what you get.    

Ice Cream.  The best Ice Cream is the Shop that's part of the driving range on Plessis. 

I don't anyone goes to joeys or moxies for the burgers.

I really liked cibo but was dissapointed with prairie 360. I found market burger to be pretty blah. When the best part of your meal is that they put cucumber in the water that's saying something.

What does everyone like for sushi? I like sushi ya on cordyn for something quick and cheap and sushi California for good sushi. California isn't really a date place though and I wasn't too impressed with the food at wasabi on Broadway even though its got a good ambience.

I have not been the same since Kelekis closed. Hot dog and fries did not get better than that. I always enjoy going to Pasquales on Marion never had anything I did not like.

Yes, Kelekis closing was a sad day in Winnipeg history. 

Santa Lucia has a nice order of lasagna for $10,95 when you pick it up. Hard to finish the entire thing. Good for 2.