Bombers negotiate Transit game day discount

gbill2004

City continuing to play games with the Bombers or just an oversight?

Hey @cityofwinnipeg its been 3 weeks since our recycling has been picked up from @NWNOMADS several emails sent to 311. Its not funny anymore

— Jeffrey Bannon (@JeffreyBannon)

June 4, 2014

Considering the number of complaints that have been made against the company doing the pick-up and it's the North Winnipeg Nomads who are having the problem, I would say it's no game.

I recall Miller stating that he wanted something where the City takes care of the city buses going to games, something that was done for Canad Inns and currently with the Jets and Goldeyes. Then the bombers would negotiate their own deal with the shuttle services.

Would be great if the Bombers should bought their own buses and painted them blue and gold with the logo everywhere, but I'm sure that would cost some pretty pennies. 

What do you mean?  The city doesn't provide any extra service for Jet or Goldeye games.

I have a feeling that the announcement is going to involve some private shuttle buses from lots on Pembina, and some park and rides around the city.  The Bombers might have to get the all clear to use the parking lots for the park and ride.

It will be very hard to put anything substantial together without Winnipeg Transit buses.

I recall Miller stating that he wanted something where the City takes care of the city buses going to games, something that was done for Canad Inns and currently with the Jets and Goldeyes. Then the bombers would negotiate their own deal with the shuttle services.

Would be great if the Bombers should bought their own buses and painted them blue and gold with the logo everywhere, but I'm sure that would cost some pretty pennies. 

What do you mean?  The city doesn't provide any extra service for Jet or Goldeye games.

I have a feeling that the announcement is going to involve some private shuttle buses from lots on Pembina, and some park and rides around the city.  The Bombers might have to get the all clear to use the parking lots for the park and ride.

It will be very hard to put anything substantial together without Winnipeg Transit buses.

Winnipeg Jets get $6.9 million in tax breaks... soon to be $11 million per year.  http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/millions-to-aid-true-north-141154603.html

Winnipeg Jets get $6.9 million in tax breaks... soon to be $11 million per year.  http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/millions-to-aid-true-north-141154603.html

I know, we're talking about buses.

If I have to guess on this, there will be regular bus service to get to the games (though the city would still have to up their buses running to the stadium), which is why you pay.

Then on the way home, it is free, so the Bombers pay for the charters.  However, since they are only chartering home, they don't have to pay for the 3 hours of idle time during the game.  They would only have to pay for whatever the minimum time is.

This sounds like its going to be a gong show.  Invariably, less people will take transit (especially the first few games until they realise driving is a bad idea).  One can presume Transit isn't in on shanking the Bombers like Sammy so they will probably have as many busses as required.  But the second you charge for anything, it will impact how many use it.

I wonder if a gong show for the first couple of games and a public outcry will see the city reverse their stance on the Bombers Transit deal?  Sammy was way out to lunch when he tried to say the team was in a "robust financial situation" with a $2.9 million profit but having not made any of the debt obligations.  Its another sign Sammy isnt running for Mayor when he so casually thumbs his nose at a significant amount of people.

Well it sounds like it is Transit's responsibility to provide whatever they feel is required as far as "regular" transit to the games.  The Bombers will then provide Charters from their Park & Ride locations.  Im not certain about the plan to get people home, but I would assume Bombers will charter busses to run the required transit routes (does that mean transit will bow out of having their regular at-cost routes after games?).

Also wondering if Bombers are chartering Transit busses or school busses.

You’ll have to pay to get to take the bus to a Bomber game this season, assuming the season goes ahead.

Winnipeg Blue Bomber President and CEO Wade Miller says fans will be asked to pay regular bus fare to get to Investors Group Field after the city didn’t give the football club the deal he thought had been worked out.

“As a result of not being able to work out an arrangement with the city, we are going to go to the fans and ask them to assist us.”

Fans will have to pay regular bus fare of $2.55 to get to the game. A ride home on the bus will be free. The Bombers will cover that cost.

Park and ride service will also cost money this year. Miller says it will be $5.00 per game or you can purchase a season pass on Ticketmaster for $40.00.

Park and ride service will be free for Monday’s preseason game against the Toronto Argonauts.

The park and ride service will use school buses like last season. Miller says there will be about 130 school buses to meet the demands of the eight park and ride locations.

Routes to Games

Miller says much of the rest of the plan will stay the same as it was for the second half of last season.

“We have worked with the city of Winnipeg to ensure fans will get to the games just the way that you did in 2013. The second half of 2013, the program worked extremely well so we’re just going to build on that.”

There is also space for parking on campus and a special carpool lot will be set up on campus for $10.00 rather than the $20.00 fee to park normally. You will need to have at least three people in your car.

Miller says the team is not losing money on the plan. He says the team will be paying 2/3 of the cost on the plan, with fans paying for the rest.

Entertainment After The Final Whistle

Miller says the team will try to ease backlog of people leaving after the game by providing postgame entertainment so some fans will stick around longer, staggering the times people leave the stadium to reduce traffic flow.

“We’ll have bands after every game and also be allowing people down onto the field after games as well,” he says. “Hopefully we can cut down on some of the issues on getting out of the stadium afterwards with losing one lane each way.”

“It’s an extreme concern for us,” he says. “We are probably going to lose 33% of the traffic in and out of the stadium.”

“We’ll have bands after every game and also be allowing people down onto the field after games as well,” he says. “Hopefully we can cut down on some of the issues on getting out of the stadium afterwards with losing one lane each way.”

“It’s an extreme concern for us,” he says. “We are probably going to lose 33% of the traffic in and out of the stadium.”

I hope he's not referring to a hoopla similar to the Jeff Reinbold days we're all so fond of...

Here is the link on the Bombers site.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/wfc-announces-2014-transportation-plan

With a $1.25 million dollar price tag for transportation services each season, the Winnipeg Football Club today announced that it has little choice but to ask fans to contribute toward the cost, whether they choose regular transit or Park & Ride services to Investors Group Field.

“As a result of the City reversing on their own proposal last week, we are now forced to ask bus-using fans to split the costs with the Club to make it as affordable as it can be for everyone,” said Wade Miller, President and CEO of the Winnipeg Football Club.

The 2014 transportation plan will, once again, feature the Fan Fare program as the hub of helping as many as one third of all fans get to and from each Blue Bomber game. 

“To make things as easy as possible for fans,” Miller said, “all regular and augmented transit routes will remain just as they were during the inaugural year.  The only difference is that fans will be asked to buy a one-way ticket, at $2.55, to get to the game with the Club paying for the return fare.”

In terms of the Park & Ride service, Miller said it will now be operated by the Winnipeg Football Club using First Student and its team of professional drivers, the same company that operated the service last year for Winnipeg Transit.  Fans will be asked to pay $5.00 per round trip or they can purchase a pass for $40.00 which will cover Park & Rides for the regular season beginning on June 26.  

PARK & RIDE presented by Manitoba Public Insurance 

• Same 8 routes as last year;
  • Non-stop service to and from Investors Group Field;
  • Service starts 120 minutes prior to kickoff;
  • Last buses leave 15 minutes prior;
  • Cost per game:  $5.00 per round trip which will be collected pre-game  at each location;
  • Park & Ride pass for regular season at $40.00.

Park & Ride Super Express Routes include:

• Route 1 – McPhillips Station Station - 484 McPhillips St. with parking for up to 500 cars;
  • Route 2 – Club Regent -1425 Regent Ave West with parking for up to 500 cars;
  • Route 3 – St. Vital Public Works Yard - 590 St. Anne’s Rd with parking for up to 300 cars;
  • Route 4 – Manitoba Hydro - 820 Taylor Ave. with parking for up to 500 cars;
  • Route 5 – Assiniboia Downs with parking for up to 300 cars;
  • Route 6 – St. Norbert Hotel -3540 Pembina Hwy with parking for up to 200 cars;
  • Route 7 – Garden City Centre with parking for up to 100 cars;
  • Route 8 – Kildonan Place with parking for up to 100 cars.

On Campus Parking: 

• 5,000 paid parking spots on campus;
  • Season parking passes and flex pack game day parking passes can be purchased online at Ticket Master or by calling 204.784.2583;
  • Cash parking in regular lots is available for $20 on a first-come first-served basis for all home games and other special events.  Cash parkers must enter the campus via University Crescent. Parking passes can be pre-purchased or purchased with cash on game-day;
  • NEW CARPOOL LOT for fans with 3 or more per vehicle at $10 per game. Car poolers must enter campus via University Crescent where a parking attendant will direct them. Parking passes can be pre-purchased or purchased with cash on game-day.

Bike Valet: 

• Fully secure and monitored bike storage for 800 bicycles on game and event days;
  • Located at Gate 3;
  • About 400 more unmonitored spots available throughout campus.

During the recent Fan Fest, Miller said he spoke with a huge number of bus-riding fans with the vast majority agreeing that they’d be willing to share the cost if it meant more money could be directed to football operations to continue building the team.

“I thank fans, in advance, for their willingness to cooperate with the Club in terms of helping pay for public transportation costs.  It will make a big difference to our bottom line as it will cut these costs by about a third.”

Fans can find all updated transportation information at bluebombers.com.

Never thought the Bombers should be on the hook for covering transportation costs in the first place.  People now covering half the cost of going to and from a game?  I'm fine with that.  I cover the entire cost of going to and from games.

Park n ride to sit in a cramped, non air conditioned bus AND pay for this sweet hookup? Thanks but no thanks.. Had my fill of that bull plop last season... Perimeter and then close as possible and walk or shuttle for this guy..

Park n ride to sit in a cramped, non air conditioned bus AND pay for this sweet hookup? Thanks but no thanks.. Had my fill of that bull plop last season... Perimeter and then close as possible and walk or shuttle for this guy..