A Tale Of Two Bucks........

In the past, the old Buck thrived.... on moving the pocket, improvising, and maintaining a threat to elude a rush, for a big gain. Really don't see any of those attributes, right now.....

Now I understand, that the coaches (and everybody else) is real concerned with Pierce running the ball. But, running an offence with the "new" Buck as strictly a pocket passer.... simply highlights some of his major weaknesses - not picking up secondary receivers, telegraphing throws, and holding onto the ball too long......

So the question.....

Is Pierce physically able, at this point......to do the things and play the style, that he has had success with, in this league? 

If the answer is no - better fire up Goltz.....right now. 

If the answer is yes - better replace this OC....real soon.

Buck stops here.  Burke should learn not to pin his career with Buck.  Otherwise he's head coaching gig will be short just like Lapo's. 

Buck's strength was his ability to pass on the run but at this stage of his career, it's not a strength anymore.  If someone can only emphasize that to Burke.  Sigh.

Goltz or Hall and hope that someone can be that 'guy'.

I think if Buck played like he did when he was good he wouldn't be as effective either. I maintain that he is just overall slower than he used to be, that coupled with the obvious mental block about getting injured means that he doesn't play that reckless style that made him successful. I think at this point in his career he is a backup at best. Need to make the change now for the good of the team.  TIme to see if Goltz can do anything. At very least he's athletic enough as his few plays a game show to make something happen with his legs if things break down. Pierce is not consistent enough a passer to make me think Goltz can't pass at least as well (or hall for that matter) and be a better threat running. 

Buck reminds me of Khari in his last year as a Bomber.  He was playing a timid game and more often than not, he threw off his back foot.   A QB that historically was  a pinpoint passer, was off the mark on many of his throws.   He was also reluctant to take the ball and run with it but I believe that had more to do with his injury status vs his unwillingness. 

Khari was never able to get his groove back and finally did the right thing and hung it up and pursued the next best thing.  Coaching.  

When I watch Buck, it reminds me of Khari at the end of his career.   

I think it's been tough to watch the quarterback play this season because of the fact all the other units have been playing very well for the most part. It wouldn't be a stretch to say if the Bombers got better QB play in their two losses, they're 3-0 right now.

Is Goltz the answer right now? The coaches are really the only ones that can say. But this offence needs a jumpstart and Buck seems to be the one holding this offence back right now. I would for sure like to see Goltz get some more playing time next week.

It was the belief of LaPo, Burke and several other coaches through the past two regimes that Buck had the better arm. Given the circumstances, there is some merit in trying to turn Buck into a pocket passer. It is apparentally failing for several reasons involving the  O-line, talent of receivers, and the vagaries that come with a new system and Buck's adaption to it.

I think that more patience is required, but understandably there is no more patience left in Peg City causing a great deal of over reaction. Buck hit Mathews in the face with a pass and knocked him over, the next pass was in the mitts of a receiver that drop[ped it, and another that was hit in the bread basket and was dropped. We tend to focus on the passes sailing over the head of receivers, which all QB's chuck because Buck is a fan target now.

I would give him a couple more games before accepting this as failure, but I don't believe this will be allowed in panic city with jobs on the line. Troubled times have come to my home town...........and  YES.....big Burke mistake by not playin Buck In exhibition with a new system. These are Buck's exhibition games.

It was the belief of LaPo, Burke and several other coaches through the past two regimes that Buck had the better arm. Given the circumstances, there is some merit in trying to turn Buck into a pocket passer. It is apparentally failing for several reasons involving the  O-line, talent of receivers, and the vagaries that come with a new system and Buck's adaption to it.

I think that more patience is required, but understandably there is no more patience left in Peg City causing a great deal of over reaction. Buck hit Mathews in the face with a pass and knocked him over, the next pass was in the mitts of a receiver that drop[ped it, and another that was hit in the bread basket and was dropped. We tend to focus on the passes sailing over the head of receivers, which all QB's chuck because Buck is a fan target now.

I would give him a couple more games before accepting this as failure, but I don't believe this will be allowed in panic city with jobs on the line. Troubled times have come to my home town...........and  YES.....big Burke mistake by not playin Buck In exhibition with a new system. These are Buck's exhibition games.

which totally ignores the entirety of Pierces career, good job, how's all that sand look that you've got your head buried in? 

Pierce has never ever ever been a consistent pocket passer. He was always a heart and soul scrapped who when he felt pressure could run very effectively and make a defense pay with his legs but he was never going to stand there like Ray or Calvillo and pick a D apart with his arm. That he is failing to turn into that guy in Winnipeg is no surprise, he's still the same guy he was minus his one truly great attribute... his mobility. If you took away Burris ability to run do you think he'd still be a good qb?

which totally ignores the entirety of Pierces career, good job, how's all that sand look that you've got your head buried in? 

Pierce has never ever ever been a consistent pocket passer. He was always a heart and soul scrapped who when he felt pressure could run very effectively and make a defense pay with his legs but he was never going to stand there like Ray or Calvillo and pick a D apart with his arm. That he is failing to turn into that guy in Winnipeg is no surprise, he's still the same guy he was minus his one truly great attribute... his mobility. If you took away Burris ability to run do you think he'd still be a good qb?

I I look at the entirety of Bucks career, I see a good QB. The stats bear that out along with the opinion of most of the coaching staff . If I look at the next in line, I see disaster for the rest of the season..........choose wisely my friend.

The problem with Bucks stats for his career is that he's not in his mid 20s anymore. His game started to fall apart last season and it hasn't rebounded this year. We used to worry about Pierce getting hurt because he was good when healthy, now he's not even average when healthy and we're still terrified of him getting hurt. 

I would say it was the belief of Lapo and Burke that they couldn't win with Elliot or Brink.  Arm strength being just one of the attributes a QB has or does not have.