Bombers O-line coach

IC Khari

I heard awhile back something about Wylie not wanting to come back to Canada right now. Chiu sounds interesting. On a side note wouldn't it be interesting if Wally and Wylie both came to work for us then we'd get to talk about Willy, Wylie, and Wally ...

This information was on MBB's own twitter account…

Brian Chiu would be a really good addition and would fit right in to what the O'Shea team is trying to build here.

Bryan Chiu parts ways with Concordia. Winnipeg still needs an OL coach. Very highly regarded coach. Makes you wonder ...

If chiu does land here, we really could have something very cool.and groundbreaking in the mix here with all these "natural" cfl groomed coaches.. If it turns out we are successful it would really show that canadian trained and raised products are just as important to out league..

I could care less if the coaches are American or Canadian. I just want coaches that can win. Period. If they don't, find new ones. I wouldn't call this staff cool or ground breaking. Some of them weren't the team's first choice because some coaches more desirable that we wanted went elsewhere & wouldn't sign here. It's just the way things worked out.

I could care less if the coaches are American or Canadian. I just want coaches that can win. Period. If they don't, find new ones. I wouldn't call this staff cool or ground breaking. Some of them weren't the team's first choice because some coaches more desirable that we wanted went elsewhere & wouldn't sign here. It's just the way things worked out.

Its "just working out" that this many canadian and ex-cflers have landed on the staff, eh?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

So far O'Shea's star power to attract coaches or players has been less than impressive.  I thought he might have gotten Jason Maas for QB coach or brought over McCune at LB but I doubt that is going to happen now.   He is starting his head coaching career on the ground floor with a brand new support group, hoping for the best but we'll see how he does.

Brian maybe a rookie CFL OL coach if the Bombers bring him but he has experience coaching in the CIS level and his knowledge of the CFL game will be helpful for our OL.

Here's what Angus Reid said about him...

Then off to Montreal I went. It was a comforting move, because I was now studying under not only the top centre in the league, in Bryan Chui, but a fellow Vancouver College alum. Bryan took me in like a little brother. He made it very easy to be a nobody rookie in the CFL, for that I thank him.

It’s what he showed me on the field, though, that changed how I played the game forever. Bryan was all about getting whatever edge was needed. A true competitor. He dedicated most of his smarts to studying the defence. Yes, I know that sounds obvious, but I’m talking about the little things, the things that matter. Bryan knew every hand signal for every team, all their internal code dialogue. He knew what subtle body gestures meant, and even what a player was going to do by the angle of their foot. I’m serious, there was no tip that Bryan couldn’t pick up on.

He taught me the value of studying absolutely everything about the other team, and I mean everything. He never had to wait and react because he already knew everything that was going to happen. I stole the concept of being turned away from my own huddle from Bryan. While our play was being called, I’d always be turned looking at the defence, looking for all the clues Bryan showed me to look for. That gave me a chance.

Thank you Bryan.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Thank+good+night+Angus+Reid+retires/9596638/story.html

Brian Chiu was a very good o-lineman in his day and apparently pretty intelligent to boot, so he would would not be a big step downward if Wylie is not available.

Although Chiu is an intriguing name, it's tough for me to say that someone without any experience coaching in the CFL wouldn't be a significant downgrade from one of the best O-line coaches in the game in Wylie.

Brian Chiu was a very good o-lineman in his day and apparently pretty intelligent to boot, so he would would not be a big step downward if Wylie is not available.

Although Chiu is an intriguing name, it's tough for me to say that someone without any experience coaching in the CFL wouldn't be a significant downgrade from one of the best O-line coaches in the game in Wylie.

Agreed, but Chiu is a very solid plan B.

I gave up on acquiring Wylie long ago.

What leads you to believe he has any interest in coming to Wpg. at this point?

I read somewhere that the only thing stopping Wylie from coming here is a pension issue with the NFL that needs to be resolved before he can work in the CFL.

SPuDs, yeah, I think it is just working out that way... You think O'Shea just wants Canadian coaches? He wants to win first. I don't think he's some kind of Canadian nationalist when it comes to hiring qualified people.

Id even go above O'Sheas head and suggest miller and Walters are saying.. If they have Canadian football history and by that measure are typically canadian borne then give them the benefit of the doubt over others..

I could be way off base, sure but it does seem like they are getting a lineup very well versed in the cfl and it's canadian content..