2014 CFL Draft blog

Mike

Bit off topic, and sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but 2 Winnipeg born players were taken in the NFL draft.

Is this significant at all? I didn't see a peep about it anywhere. I guess both guys were just born here and moved elsewhere for high school ball.

Still, as a Winnipeg-homer I thought this was cool.

Boseko Lokombo went undrafted and unsigned to this point from 2013 Draft... BC Lions property. Only other guy who may find a home is Evan Gill, but I'm not sure it will happen.

Rookie mini camp is Thursday - Saturday for Foucault, and there will be around 24 players in attendance, 4 or 5 of which will be offensive lineman along with him. He wisely chose Carolina over Miami... Dolphins drafted two tackles, while Carolina selected zero despite their need to improve the spot.

Bit off topic, and sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but 2 Winnipeg born players were taken in the NFL draft.

Is this significant at all? I didn't see a peep about it anywhere. I guess both guys were just born here and moved elsewhere for high school ball.

Still, as a Winnipeg-homer I thought this was cool.

It was on Twitter for the Canadian-born thing, but they were never thinking CFL, so that's about all it is. I think it was Farhan Lalji who questioned TJ Jones about Winnipeg at the BCS National Championship Game in 2013 and IIRC the response was that he didn't remember any of his childhood in Canada.

Boseko Lokombo went undrafted and unsigned to this point from 2013 Draft... BC Lions property. Only other guy who may find a home is Evan Gill, but I'm not sure it will happen.

Rookie mini camp is Thursday - Saturday for Foucault, and there will be around 24 players in attendance, 4 or 5 of which will be offensive lineman along with him. He wisely chose Carolina over Miami... Dolphins drafted two tackles, while Carolina selected zero despite their need to improve the spot.

Evan Gill isn't automatically eligible for the NFL Draft until 2015, so he can't sign with a NFL team right now.  He didn't enter the NFL Draft this year.

Evan Gill isn't automatically eligible for the NFL Draft until 2015, so he can't sign with a NFL team right now.  He didn't enter the NFL Draft this year.

Thanks. Any day you learn something it is a good day.

Farhan Lalji tweets that Evan Gill has a partially torn quad and will miss 6 to 8 weeks... that would put him at the end of June and close to Mid-July, which could be the first three weeks of the season.

does this mean his stock will drop?

Farhan Lalji tweets that Evan Gill has a partially torn quad and will miss 6 to 8 weeks... that would put him at the end of June and close to Mid-July, which could be the first three weeks of the season.

Read my post above yours.  That'll sure make him drop.

Could mean he goes back to school since he may not be ready for the start of the season, and so yes, I think it may. I'd give him a second round look.

Could mean he goes back to school since he may not be ready for the start of the season, and so yes, I think it may. I'd give him a second round look.

I doubt he drops that far either way.  I still think he'll be one of the first few DL/LB/DB's off the board, along with Smith, Briggs, Lue, maybe Chin or Landry.  It's always been 50-50 that he'd stay in CIS and see what his options are in 2015, like Kirby Fabien did, and there's not much on the board in terms of guys who will be impactful in 2014 anyways.

first round of the draft on tsn tomorrow at 6pm.

Not sure why they couldn't cover the entire draft, it's not like it would take that long.

Remaining rounds are on TSN.ca.

yeah like always, i just don't understand why they couldn't cover it all on tv, maximum of what 3 hours? 

first round of the draft on tsn tomorrow at 6pm.

Not sure why they couldn't cover the entire draft, it's not like it would take that long.

Remaining rounds are on TSN.ca.

yeah like always, i just don't understand why they couldn't cover it all on tv, maximum of what 3 hours? 

Because there's like 90 seconds between picks after the first round.  They have very little to say about most of the 1st rounders, you want them to talk about some guy drafted 50th overall who they've never seen play?  I'd almost rather them not cover it live on TV at all but have a solid wrap-up show where they can actually analyze, toss in some interviews with draftees and GM's/coaches.

I've found the live coverage of the draft by TSN both on TV and online to be generally poor quality.  There's been years where they are several picks behind, usually after the first round.  They've got the coverage of the first round down pat.

this is interesting...

If the Redblacks are coveting Lavertu, they might be well advised to take him with the early selection because the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who have the No. 2 selection, are said to be very interested in the Laval centre. So much so that if Ottawa does take Lavertu first overall, the Bombers would then reportedly be willing to deal the second pick to acquire some assets while moving down in the first round and selecting a player who could still help them. A potential trade partner could be the B.C. Lions, who are said to like Simon Fraser centre Matthias Goossen, the CFL scouting bureau's fifth-ranked prospect.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=451989

this is interesting...

If the Redblacks are coveting Lavertu, they might be well advised to take him with the early selection because the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who have the No. 2 selection, are said to be very interested in the Laval centre. So much so that if Ottawa does take Lavertu first overall, the Bombers would then reportedly be willing to deal the second pick to acquire some assets while moving down in the first round and selecting a player who could still help them. A potential trade partner could be the B.C. Lions, who are said to like Simon Fraser centre Matthias Goossen, the CFL scouting bureau's fifth-ranked prospect.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=451989

I saw this earlier today. I could see us trading #2 to BC for #5 and #12 or 14. If we did so, not sure who we'd pick. I don't think we'd pick Foucault with his NFL mini-camp invite. Sounds like Walters wants someone who can play right away. Pruneau as a FS? Coombs or Bailey at Rec? Could Chin play right away at WLB? Could Ainsworth contiribute as a rotational pass rusher? Would Gill give up his last year of CIS to play for the hometown team?