I want to talk about something that really grinds my gears

Mike

I try to get to Chicken Delight once per visit. Usually the night before I drive back to Calgary. I stay at my brother's place in Winnipeg everytime I come to town. I usually check into a hotel the night before I leave so  as not to disturb them taking a shower, packing etc as I'm up around 3;30 am the morning I go back. So, I usually say my goodbyes just before dinner time, go get some CD,  take it back to my hotel  for an early supper & hit the hay about 10 pm... Just a routine I've got myself into over the years. 

Yeah, that new recipe thing was like 3 years ago.  It's still crap.  Domino's is utter garbage.

I'll take Santa Lucia any day over almost any pizza in this city.

Mona Lisa's is very good.  Only been there once though.

And agreed, Pizza Hut is way too greasy.  Although it is better if you eat in the restaurant as oppose to delivery.  Although the last time I ate it was quite a ways back.

Never liked Panago.

I love Pizza Hut particularly because its greasy and cheesy.

I also have a love for Gondola.  Their thin crust is great but I could eat a whole one.  Very good though.

Santa Lucia is good.  Their garlic cheese toast is the best, by far.

And beer in a bottle is ten times better than beer in a can.

I have been Santa Lucia fan for some time, but I recently tried Gondola pizza... wow, was that ever good! Not over-heaped with toppings like at Santa Lucia, so you don't have to eat it with a fork and knife. I think it's the sauce that makes it stand out to me. And they have this in-house shredded salami salad with oil and vinegar dressing... to die for. I strongly recommend Gondola next time you do delivery.

What's happened to Grand Marais? I was there last summer after a number of years & there used to be a lot of burger joints along their main drag.  Now, it's just Lanky's. Any explanation? I was shocked. It's like the place is dying off.

Im a long time Grand Marais'er.  My buddy's family have had cottages there dating back many decades.  I remember we'd drive up there when we were 16, 17 and not get there til 11PM and everything would be open up and down the strip.

Its not that its dying off per se.  In fact, if you drive around Grand Marais and Grand Beach you'd see A LOT of cottach builds and renovations.  It seems the older folks have died off and their kids are now hitting retirement or close to retirement age.

What we all equate it to is the very strong desire of the residents for Grand Marais to be a sleepy little town.  Where as 20 years ago, you had a lot of teen-30 year olds, those people are all older, family, getting close to retirement.

For example, they no longer dredge the channel.  before, they used to dredge it so you could lower your boat and other water craft into the lagoon and drive out onto the lake.  You cant anymore.  They dont want fast water craft on the lake. 

They let the Surf Club die and its being torn down.  Instead of putting in a hotel and restaurant/lounge which would be great over looking the beach, its going to be a playground and picnic area.

They are putting in a clinic and expanding the retirement home.  Appealing to the older demos.

They have planned for years and years to put in a marina but I doubt it will ever happen.  Young people with big boats have to buy up at Victoria Beach.

Its sad really.  Its amazing they even spent money to rebuild the boardwalk when it was destroyed but at least they did spend the money.  And at least the consessions were open at the Beach last year.  There were years where there was no concessions.

Potenza Pizza is the "young" spot at Grand Marais.  Pizza, bar, live music til late (and even then, he was forced to turn down the music because people complained...on Friday and Saturday nights.

Theres another good restaurant on the Strip but the couple who own it only open when they feel like it and rarely on busy days.  I managed to catch it open once and the food was great was super slow.  The guy cooking could only cook one thing at a time.  Its just a hobby business.

The main bar as you drive in has VLT's and actually has good food in the restaurant too.  It's usually hopping on the big weekends.  The young people go there.

I have been Santa Lucia fan for some time, but I recently tried Gondola pizza... wow, was that ever good! Not over-heaped with toppings like at Santa Lucia, so you don't have to eat it with a fork and knife. I think it's the sauce that makes it stand out to me. And they have this in-house shredded salami salad with oil and vinegar dressing... to die for. I strongly recommend Gondola next time you do delivery.

Who eats pizza with a fork and knife.  Psshhh...you girl.  And stop changing your name...for a while I was like...where did that guy come from.  Ya weirdo.  ;)

And gondola is good, I like that too.

For soft ice cream, nothing beats the BDI on a warm summer evening & a walk across the Elm Park Bridge.

I''m partial to Sargent Sundae and a stroll across the walking bridge to Assiniboine Park, but then I'm a St James boy through and through

Not ice cream or a sundae, but if you want damn good milkshakes and an awesome fatboy, go to Dairy Delight on St. Anne's.  OMGZORZ...that milkshake is awesome.  And the fatboy is one of my fav's in the city.  Their chilly on the burger is great, and the chili fries rock and roll.

For soft ice cream, nothing beats the BDI on a warm summer evening & a walk across the Elm Park Bridge.

I''m partial to Sargent Sundae and a stroll across the walking bridge to Assiniboine Park, but then I'm a St James boy through and through

Not sure about their ice cream or a sundae, but if you want damn good milkshakes and an awesome fatboy, go to Dairy Delight on St. Anne's.  OMGZORZ...that milkshake is awesome.  And the fatboy is one of my fav's in the city.  Their chilly on the burger is great, and the chili fries rock and roll.

And yes, BDI is great.  My buddy use to live across the bridge when we were in high school.

Who eats pizza with a fork and knife.  Psshhh...you girl.  And stop changing your name...for a while I was like...where did that guy come from.  Ya weirdo.   ;)

When the guy from Qo'nos calls you weirdo it should be taken as a compliment  ;) . I changed it to match my twitter handle, but since I discovered how much twitter sucks I'm considering changing back.

Who eats pizza with a fork and knife.  Psshhh...you girl.  And stop changing your name...for a while I was like...where did that guy come from.  Ya weirdo.   ;)

When the guy from Qo'nos calls you weirdo it should be taken as a compliment  ;) . I changed it to match my twitter handle, but since I discovered how much twitter sucks I'm considering changing back.

Sorry. Only one username change per member who has used or currently uses this avatar.

photo-thumb-664.jpg?_r=1370563443

Site policy.

What's happened to Grand Marais? I was there last summer after a number of years & there used to be a lot of burger joints along their main drag.  Now, it's just Lanky's. Any explanation? I was shocked. It's like the place is dying off.

Im a long time Grand Marais'er.  My buddy's family have had cottages there dating back many decades.  I remember we'd drive up there when we were 16, 17 and not get there til 11PM and everything would be open up and down the strip.

Its not that its dying off per se.  In fact, if you drive around Grand Marais and Grand Beach you'd see A LOT of cottach builds and renovations.  It seems the older folks have died off and their kids are now hitting retirement or close to retirement age.

What we all equate it to is the very strong desire of the residents for Grand Marais to be a sleepy little town.  Where as 20 years ago, you had a lot of teen-30 year olds, those people are all older, family, getting close to retirement.

For example, they no longer dredge the channel.  before, they used to dredge it so you could lower your boat and other water craft into the lagoon and drive out onto the lake.  You cant anymore.  They dont want fast water craft on the lake. 

They let the Surf Club die and its being torn down.  Instead of putting in a hotel and restaurant/lounge which would be great over looking the beach, its going to be a playground and picnic area.

They are putting in a clinic and expanding the retirement home.  Appealing to the older demos.

They have planned for years and years to put in a marina but I doubt it will ever happen.  Young people with big boats have to buy up at Victoria Beach.

Its sad really.  Its amazing they even spent money to rebuild the boardwalk when it was destroyed but at least they did spend the money.  And at least the consessions were open at the Beach last year.  There were years where there was no concessions.

Potenza Pizza is the "young" spot at Grand Marais.  Pizza, bar, live music til late (and even then, he was forced to turn down the music because people complained...on Friday and Saturday nights.

Theres another good restaurant on the Strip but the couple who own it only open when they feel like it and rarely on busy days.  I managed to catch it open once and the food was great was super slow.  The guy cooking could only cook one thing at a time.  Its just a hobby business.

The main bar as you drive in has VLT's and actually has good food in the restaurant too.  It's usually hopping on the big weekends.  The young people go there.

I may be wrong but I seem to be getting a bit of a mixed message from you  that while you like things slow, you'd like to see some kind of development going on at Grand Marais. Sounds like the decision to not dredge the channel was the NDP's decision & you'd like to see a hotel & bar like the one that closed down out there as well. We know that while the demographics of the town has grown older, it'll turn over once again as the older folks pass away or sell their properties to others. So, in 10 years, I'd expect to see a younger demographic again.

Back in the 80's when they opened up the Surf Club, like you said there was talk of developing the village & the lagoon area. It sounded quite exciting. But since then, Manitoba's had successive NDP governments & they are not business friendly as we know. I'm sure that also the residents had a big say in stopping any development in Grand Marais as well. Like you said, being older they like quiet. Not parties or rowdyism.

I have to say that it was sad to see the town looking kinda run down on the main drag with businesses closed down. There's a lot  of potential there that might happen someday when Grand Marais is younger again.

I don't know if it's been covered but the Old Dutch chips that come in the box are made in Winnipeg.  Right beside the Free Press building.

The bagged ones are made in the states.

You can also get the boxed variety at Sobeys. 

(I know I'm a little behind in the conversation...sorry.)

What's happened to Grand Marais? I was there last summer after a number of years & there used to be a lot of burger joints along their main drag. Now, it's just Lanky's. Any explanation? I was shocked. It's like the place is dying off.

Im a long time Grand Marais'er. My buddy's family have had cottages there dating back many decades. I remember we'd drive up there when we were 16, 17 and not get there til 11PM and everything would be open up and down the strip.

Its not that its dying off per se. In fact, if you drive around Grand Marais and Grand Beach you'd see A LOT of cottach builds and renovations. It seems the older folks have died off and their kids are now hitting retirement or close to retirement age.

What we all equate it to is the very strong desire of the residents for Grand Marais to be a sleepy little town. Where as 20 years ago, you had a lot of teen-30 year olds, those people are all older, family, getting close to retirement.

For example, they no longer dredge the channel. before, they used to dredge it so you could lower your boat and other water craft into the lagoon and drive out onto the lake. You cant anymore. They dont want fast water craft on the lake.

They let the Surf Club die and its being torn down. Instead of putting in a hotel and restaurant/lounge which would be great over looking the beach, its going to be a playground and picnic area.

They are putting in a clinic and expanding the retirement home. Appealing to the older demos.

They have planned for years and years to put in a marina but I doubt it will ever happen. Young people with big boats have to buy up at Victoria Beach.

Its sad really. Its amazing they even spent money to rebuild the boardwalk when it was destroyed but at least they did spend the money. And at least the consessions were open at the Beach last year. There were years where there was no concessions.

Potenza Pizza is the "young" spot at Grand Marais. Pizza, bar, live music til late (and even then, he was forced to turn down the music because people complained...on Friday and Saturday nights.

Theres another good restaurant on the Strip but the couple who own it only open when they feel like it and rarely on busy days. I managed to catch it open once and the food was great was super slow. The guy cooking could only cook one thing at a time. Its just a hobby business.

The main bar as you drive in has VLT's and actually has good food in the restaurant too. It's usually hopping on the big weekends. The young people go there.

I may be wrong but I seem to be getting a bit of a mixed message from you that while you like things slow, you'd like to see some kind of development going on at Grand Marais. Sounds like the decision to not dredge the channel was the NDP's decision & you'd like to see a hotel & bar like the one that closed down out there as well. We know that while the demographics of the town has grown older, it'll turn over once again as the older folks pass away or sell their properties to others. So, in 10 years, I'd expect to see a younger demographic again.

Back in the 80's when they opened up the Surf Club, like you said there was talk of developing the village & the lagoon area. It sounded quite exciting. But since then, Manitoba's had successive NDP governments & they are not business friendly as we know. I'm sure that also the residents had a big say in stopping any development in Grand Marais as well. Like you said, being older they like quiet. Not parties or rowdyism.

I have to say that it was sad to see the town looking kinda run down on the main drag with businesses closed down. There's a lot of potential there that might happen someday when Grand Marais is younger again.

I'm not so sure about the demos turning over. All the party kids from 20 years ago are the ones making the decisions now and they want quiet. The people who want water sports get cottages at the whiteshell.

I think it's a jewel that the government ignores. An amazing beach but they kowtow to the local residents. It could be a massive tourist attraction for Manitoba (and Winnipeg). I'd love to see a lodge style hotel at the surf club location with restaurant and lounge. Something that could actually be open all year die to winter sports and ice fishing. Attract business to have retreats etc there. You don't have to make it a rowdy bar spot but a good classy place.

I realise that people bought cottages nearby and don't want music and people wandering around til 2am. But back in the day it never bothered us to have people up late on fri and sat. It was kind of nice to have some life.

I always tell people of you're in the market for a cottage out there don't buy in the park anyway. Buy in Grand marais.