I want to talk about something that really grinds my gears

Mike

Getting back to topic,   it's funny because my wife has to go out of the way to find the boxed old dutch bbq chips and whenever I have a get together with my friends the boxed BBQ chips go first and almost instantaneous. 

I notice a massive difference between the two kinds,   the bagged chips taste more ketchupy/hot sauce/salty  while the boxed is more of a chipotle/seasoning salt kind of flavour.  I find the box to be less spicy and more flavourful while the bag just burns my mouth and I can really only taste the salt.  

It saddens me because Superstore and Sobeys usually only carry the bags and CO-OP used to have boxes but now switched over to the bags.... I actually have to hunt down for the all mighty boxed BBQ!!

old-dutch-chips-nov-20-2013-lara.jpg

My preferred Scotch for cheaper every day drinking is Grants Ale Cask Finish.  It has a blue label (most Grants has a red label).  There is also a green label that is a Sherry Cask finish.  Both are very smooth scotches with great taste; not single malt but definitely very good.

However, I have never found the green label in MB (only in Ontario) and most LC outlets that used to carry the blue label no longer do.  When I asked about it, I discovered the employees have the same complaint.  "Used to sell a fair amount of that stuff and pour it myself."  Unquote.

If anyone sees Grants with a blue label, please give me a shout.

Meanwhile...my gears continue to grind...

My preferred Scotch for cheaper every day drinking is Grants Ale Cask Finish.  It has a blue label (most Grants has a red label).  There is also a green label that is a Sherry Cask finish.  Both are very smooth scotches with great taste; not single malt but definitely very good.

However, I have never found the green label in MB (only in Ontario) and most LC outlets that used to carry the blue label no longer do.  When I asked about it, I discovered the employees have the same complaint.  "Used to sell a fair amount of that stuff and pour it myself."  Unquote.

If anyone sees Grants with a blue label, please give me a shout.

Meanwhile...my gears continue to grind...

You should talk to a store manager at one of the LCs you frequent.  They're usually able to order something if it's not found in the store.

From an article called: 

How Subway Went To ****

U_Gouge.gif

"As you can see from above, the wedge design was unique and overall a very good way to cut a bread into "halves". It allowed for optimal sandwich eating potential and from what I remember, kept the sh*it in the sandwich. We'll call it a sub canyon."

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/4010/how-subway-went-to-****

From an article called: 

How Subway Went To ****

b89013a7ba97888c5f0c4f5ae1e064df.png

"As you can see from above, the wedge design was unique and overall a very good way to cut a bread into "halves". It allowed for optimal sandwich eating potential and from what I remember, kept the sh*it in the sandwich. We'll call it a sub canyon."

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/4010/how-subway-went-to-****

I preferred to consider it like a hollowed out trough in which all you sandgrients could sit and mesh.. Now, too often you don't get that bite of everything on it.. Stupid subway!

Great great point about subway. I miss the wedge.

The trend away from supersize annoys me too. I realise North Americans are grossly obese but that rare time I want a bucket of fries and a Keg of coke I shouldn't be denied.

Stopped for A&W on the road one day and I ask for a large fries because I was hungry and I'm a larger than average person and the small portion is bullshit... and they tell me they can't do it cause they only have one size of fries... what the hell is that nonsense? You'll give me a giant keg of coke which is pure sugar but I can't get a reasonable portion of french fries? 

Funny you say that. Went to A&W last night and the gf was quite dismayed at the one size fries.

Simple solution: onion rings

I ordered the onion rings a few weeks ago at A&W through the drive-thru and I get home and there's five onion rings in the bag. That's it. I'm never going back there again. We've got Carl's Jr, Five Guys and Fatburger here now, lots of good burger joints to choose from. Five Guys is definitely my favorite, their burgers and fries are miles ahead.