I want to talk about something that really grinds my gears

Mike

Funny you say that. Went to A&W last night and the gf was quite dismayed at the one size fries.

Simple solution: onion rings

I ordered the onion rings a few weeks ago at A&W through the drive-thru and I get home and there's five onion rings in the bag. That's it. I'm never going back there again. We've got Carl's Jr, Five Guys and Fatburger here now, lots of good burger joints to choose from. Five Guys is definitely my favorite, their burgers and fries are miles ahead.

Not too impressed with Carl's, Fatburger seems a pain to get to and Five guys is the wrong side of the bridge. Guess I need to go for a drive one night to try them out. A&W sure is a lot closer, but their fries are terrible. Still like the White Spot when I feel like fries. Just the small one with the drive through.

And I made too many of those damn onion rings as a student. Still have nightmares about peeling onions.

What's the deal with Smarties in general?  About 10 years ago they started tasting different, and I can't even say stuff like "Hey Guys, our Smarties are so much better than your Smarties" to my American in laws anymore because I hardly have a case. Sure ours are chocolate and covered in candy...but it's gross chocolate covered in gross candy now.  <_<

A&W is way too expensive. I don't go to a lot of burger joints but I don't go there even though I like the Teen Burger. Just won't pay their outrageous prices. And the fries, yeah....

That's a good point.  I can go to a local family restaurant and get a massive burger platter for 9.99.  Fast food has become a rip off, especially MD with their tiny burgers.

However, if prices are a concern, get yourself some coupons. A & W has coupons that get you two combos for $10 - they're usually in our local paper.

A&W is way too expensive. I don't go to a lot of burger joints but I don't go there even though I like the Teen Burger. Just won't pay their outrageous prices. And the fries, yeah....

That's a good point.  I can go to a local family restaurant and get a massive burger platter for 9.99.  Fast food has become a rip off, especially MD with their tiny burgers.

However, if prices are a concern, get yourself some coupons. A & W has coupons that get you two combos for $10 - they're usually in our local paper.

The 9.99 burger platter is quickly disappearing.  I'm not a fan of cheeseburgers, so I'd ALWAYS get just the plain burger wherever we went, and could often get it for said $9.99 price tag.  No more.  It's at least $10.99 in any place you look, and in some places it's even more (nevermind the $2-3+ they charge you for a soft drink with it).  It's tough to come away from a family restaurant without spending $14.00 after tax, and at McDonalds (if you order wisely) you can get a lot of food for under $10.00 (double hamburgers, anyone?)

The 9.99 burger platter is quickly disappearing.  I'm not a fan of cheeseburgers, so I'd ALWAYS get just the plain burger wherever we went, and could often get it for said $9.99 price tag.  No more.  It's at least $10.99 in any place you look, and in some places it's even more (nevermind the $2-3+ they charge you for a soft drink with it).  It's tough to come away from a family restaurant without spending $14.00 after tax, and at McDonalds (if you order wisely) you can get a lot of food for under $10.00 (double hamburgers, anyone?)

Two or three dollars more but far more food on the plate. $9.99 @ Barney Gargle's in Selkirk. If you don't want to pay for pop, order ice water with lemon.

Unfortunately the Five Guys on Regent in Winnipeg is god awful,  way over priced and very bland and greasy.   

A & W *used* to be way more over priced then the other fast food chains but for some reason McDonalds (sorry McCafe now lol) has really started jacking up the prices and the food taste more and more fake.    At least A & W and Wendys taste like real meat and has a lot of flavour while McCafe and Burger King simply gives you gut rot lol.

For the biggest rip off in town Ace Burpees Market Burger on Corydon was hilariously bad...  our table of 8 had to wait an hour and 45 minutes to get our order....  my burger with 2 slices of cheese and bacon and sauteed onions was $13.50 for the burger itself... it was served on an cold bun and had not an ounce of seasoning on the patty.   By far worst Burger place that I've seen. 

Most of the greasy spoons now in town are at the same price if not cheaper then the fast food chains and the portions and quality usually are much higher...

Unfortunately the Five Guys on Regent in Winnipeg is god awful,  way over priced and very bland and greasy.   

A & W *used* to be way more over priced then the other fast food chains but for some reason McDonalds (sorry McCafe now lol) has really started jacking up the prices and the food taste more and more fake.    At least A & W and Wendys taste like real meat and has a lot of flavour while McCafe and Burger King simply gives you gut rot lol.

For the biggest rip off in town Ace Burpees Market Burger on Corydon was hilariously bad...  our table of 8 had to wait an hour and 45 minutes to get our order....  my burger with 2 slices of cheese and bacon and sauteed onions was $13.50 for the burger itself... it was served on an cold bun and had not an ounce of seasoning on the patty.   By far worst Burger place that I've seen. 

Most of the greasy spoons now in town are at the same price if not cheaper then the fast food chains and the portions and quality usually are much higher...

I expected more from Ace cuz his reputation in town is very solid and he does tons of charitable work. (sometimes for hire)

Too bad he's so busy he doesn't have time to audit his own burger joint and force the product better. btw Isn't Doug Brown a partner in Ace's Market Burger.

Had a nice experience a couple months back with Unburger on Stradbrook. Was definitely a B+ to A- burger with B- fries but last time I went (2 weeks ago) the Burger was red, the fries were dead but the bill was still $12.50

Two or three dollars more but far more food on the plate. $9.99 @ Barney Gargle's in Selkirk. If you don't want to pay for pop, order ice water with lemon.

Plus $5.00 for gas to drive out there.

plus, I want my diet coke.

I've been away from Winnipeg for 24 years.... Let's discuss the best pizza restaurants in Winnipeg. There used to be a restaurant that my friends & I would go to after the bars closed down at 2 am back in the 80's as it stayed open until after 4 am & the pizza was great. It was a sit down restaurant. It was (I think) in a renovated house on Osborne St at or near River Avenue. Great pizza.... Anyone remember the name? Is that place still around??

Anyway, tell us your best pizza joint, why & where it is located? And if someone can answer my question, I'd appreciate it.

My favourite is Spanky's in the strip mall on the corner of Munroe and Panet. Its a hole in the wall, really shady place but it has really good pizza. Its a thin pizza with good sauce and I love the fact that they bacon slices not bits.