Bombers re-sign Ford

IC Khari

Some food for thought regarding Will Ford, and I'm not advocating anything with this point other than it's just something to ponder, but in the nine games he started from the Banjo Bowl on, he averaged just over 62 yards rushing per game. While that doesn't sound like much, if you average that out over a full 18 games, that turns out to a season total of over 1100 yards rushing which would have been good enough for third in the league last year.

I'm okay with this signing, would like the Bombers to bring in someone else as well that's better, but Ford is serviceable. He's also good for those big, edge of your seat plays once and awhile.

Some food for thought regarding Will Ford, and I'm not advocating anything with this point other than it's just something to ponder, but in the nine games he started from the Banjo Bowl on, he averaged just over 62 yards rushing per game. While that doesn't sound like much, if you average that out over a full 18 games, that turns out to a season total of over 1100 yards rushing which would have been good enough for third in the league last year.

To me it's all about how those yards come. I'd rather a guy pick up 60 yards a game with a longest run being 15 yards than a guy picking up 60 yards when there's a 30 or 40 yard run in there. Just a preference on my part. Same reason I was less sold on Fred Reid compared with some people. Preference for someone who can grind it out at the position as opposed to the big play guy. 

To me it's all about how those yards come. I'd rather a guy pick up 60 yards a game with a longest run being 15 yards than a guy picking up 60 yards when there's a 30 or 40 yard run in there. Just a preference on my part. Same reason I was less sold on Fred Reid compared with some people. Preference for someone who can grind it out at the position as opposed to the big play guy. 

On short yardage too, you want someone who can tough out yards, especially close to the goal line.  So many times last year we'd be 2nd-and-3, 2nd-and-2, we'd run against a stacked box and fail to convert. 

On short yardage too, you want someone who can tough out yards, especially close to the goal line.  So many times last year we'd be 2nd-and-3, 2nd-and-2, we'd run against a stacked box and fail to convert. 

Well I don't assign all the blame for that to the runningbacks though. The o-line still has to not let guys get a hit on the rb in the backfield and the playcalling might not want to telegraph it so much. The Bombers always ran on 2nd and short and the defense always knew it was coming and always made the stop.