Defense!

SPuDS

JJ had a solid game on defence...  Washington was a fumble machine last season but we all have forgiven that...

We do and have always needed a real return guy - I like JJ as a secondary PR but I would much prefer to keep our secondary fresh.

Cutting a cornerback because of two fumbles on PRs is ridiculous.

JJ has taken two brutal PI penalties, one of which was very costly. He does not have the speed anymore to make up for his always below average technique. The guy has always been over rated, and now that he looks as slow that he does, and quite obviously carries the ball like a loaf of bread (watch the replay of the second fumble) it's time at the VERY least to look at capable replacements for the position.

JJ has taken two brutal PI penalties, one of which was very costly. He does not have the speed anymore to make up for his always below average technique. The guy has always been over rated, and now that he looks as slow that he does, and quite obviously carries the ball like a loaf of bread (watch the replay of the second fumble) it's time at the VERY least to look at capable replacements for the position.

Brutal? - The first one was a marginal PI at best with the hand fighting that was happening between him and AB (it could have easily gone the other way) and JJ actually made a pretty head's up move to hang on when he lost his balance or that was easily a TD if AB caught the ball.

The second was more black and white sure... it was for 16 yards and was the only ball JJ's man caught all game

The first game JJ had 3 tackles on passes caught for a total of 26 yards other than the PI - Cauchy had tackles on Richardson (20 yards - probably Suber's guy) and Green (27 yards - Probably Washington's guy).

His first game of the year wasn't great but he sure wasn't getting beat all over the place either.

If there was a "love" option for Mr. Perfect's post, I would most certainly click on it.

Here's the last thing I will say on this matter for a long time. Sears is probably back this week and I know in a lot of people's opinion he was our strongest cover man last year. The guy is dynamite but why risk putting him into a position (SAM) where he has no experience and the current guy there is doing a more than servicable job. The question becomes, where do we play this guy? He has to fit in somewhere. I know that the D has been lights out for two games but I still think for now AND down the line, Sears should replace the weakest link on the defense as of this very moment and that is Jovon Johnson.

The one thing I like about our defensive tackles (whether it be Gilmore or Anderson next to Turner) is that they all have excellent pursuit speed and even though they're huge dudes, they're fast by CFL lineman standards.

We're really playing big ends at tackle in Burke/Creehan's scheme.  It is all built to defend the pass and rush the passer.  Hopefully no one comes out with a gameplan to just run it down our throats, teams like BC, Saskatchewan and Calgary who will establish the run tend to demolish this defence.  It really is built to slow down Calvillo.

If there was a "love" option for Mr. Perfect's post, I would most certainly click on it.

Here's the last thing I will say on this matter for a long time. Sears is probably back this week and I know in a lot of people's opinion he was our strongest cover man last year. The guy is dynamite but why risk putting him into a position (SAM) where he has no experience and the current guy there is doing a more than servicable job. The question becomes, where do we play this guy? He has to fit in somewhere. I know that the D has been lights out for two games but I still think for now AND down the line, Sears should replace the weakest link on the defense as of this very moment and that is Jovon Johnson.

Sears has played SAM the last two pre-seasons he was healthy (11 and 12).  He's suited for it.  He can play corner too.  Perhaps with Dunn playing well right now, that would be a consideration, but it wouldn't be because Sears is uncomfortable there or a poor fit.

This front 7, simply reflects Burke's defensive philosophy.....real quick guys who can lineup/move all over the place.  

Some plays in that game, that were not "meaningful", but spoke volumes, about the improved closing speed, we possess on D:  

1. AC throws slant pattern in red zone - to back of end zone, C. Muamba is right on receiver's hip - we kept getting killed on that place/play last year (Logan)

2. Couple of throws into the flat....Washington disengages from his man, faster that you can say "Demond" and snuffs them right out...

3. H. Muamba makes tackle on both sidelines.... in same series.  On one of those plays, sheds two blocks.....

One way or other, we have to get Sears in there.....because he has speed, and more importantly.... brings the serious wood - the kind of player who keeps opponent's heads on a swivel.....   

As far as JJ......he is over 18, and knows the score.....he has been fine at DB.... but also knows Sears will be ready soon.  Jovon would rather have Sears come in at OLB, and needs to play at a high level to ensure that......sure that Parker and Dunn are aware, as well. 

Ongoing competition makes this a better team.

Brutal? - The first one was a marginal PI at best with the hand fighting that was happening between him and AB (it could have easily gone the other way) and JJ actually made a pretty head's up move to hang on when he lost his balance or that was easily a TD if AB caught the ball.

The second was more black and white sure... it was for 16 yards and was the only ball JJ's man caught all game

The first game JJ had 3 tackles on passes caught for a total of 26 yards other than the PI - Cauchy had tackles on Richardson (20 yards - probably Suber's guy) and Green (27 yards - Probably Washington's guy).

His first game of the year wasn't great but he sure wasn't getting beat all over the place either.

When you're quite literally holding the wrist down of a receiver as he runs a fly pattern before the ball reaches the intended receiver, that is as black and white a pass interference call as you get. Go ahead and watch again. It was 2nd and over 20 to go. There is ZERO excuse for letting someone get behind you in that situation, and even worse that he had to take a penalty to try and save himself from his horrendous coverage. It led to a touchdown and the game winning points. Inexcusable.

When you're quite literally holding the wrist down of a receiver as he runs a fly pattern before the ball reaches the intended receiver, that is as black and white a pass interference call as you get. Go ahead and watch again. It was 2nd and over 20 to go. There is ZERO excuse for letting someone get behind you in that situation, and even worse that he had to take a penalty to try and save himself from his horrendous coverage. It led to a touchdown and the game winning points. Inexcusable.

Well the questionability of it comes with all the interfering Bruce was doing himself. Yes JJ was interfering, but so was Bruce, call it both ways. 

It's hard to say exactly but it sure looked like he didn't lock down on the wrist until he started to lose his balance - he had decent tight coverage but lost his footing in the hand fighting.  The right play in that situation is to interfere if you don't think you'll be able to make a tackle if your guy catches it.

I'd rather a DB interfere with a receiver if they're beat / going down and give the defense a chance to regroup and get off the field than give up an easy 6 points.  Simple fact is, the coverage was decent good on that particular play.  The unfortunate thing is JJ lost his footing .. but he still managed to prevent a walk-in touchdown by Bruce.

No, not really...The point is he did not have a great game as the OP indicated. Two fumbles on kick returns does not make for a great game

Great game on DEFENSE

Yes he pissed away having a good overall game with his special team play - but for consideration in keeping his job on DEFENSE his game was quite excellent (I wouldn't be shocked to not see Jovon returning punts this week)

No, not really...The point is he did not have a great game as the OP indicated. Two fumbles on kick returns does not make for a great game

Using that logic Washington would be long gone after the Edmonton game last year.

There's a pretty significant difference between a "great" game on defense and a "not-bad" game on defense. He held his man to limited catches in the last two games and by the numbers played well. He also had two PIs and despite the ball not getting to his man, was getting beat not irregularly. I can't help but think that his play was buoyed by incredible pass rush and Calvillo not having enough time to get to London or not using London as an outlet or checkdown because he's usually the deep guy.

The bottom line about the Jovon situation to me is that Sears can do his job much, much better at this point in their careers.

Using that logic Washington would be long gone after the Edmonton game last year.

This frustrates me to no end. Washington had fumble problems last year. So did Chad Owens. Washington proved last year that he was capable of breaking big returns as well which is something we've been looking for for a very, very long time. Jovon hasn't had a great return since that BC game two years ago and even his most staunch supporters can't say that he's not slow at this point in time,

This frustrates me to no end. Washington had fumble problems last year. So did Chad Owens. Washington proved last year that he was capable of breaking big returns as well which is something we've been looking for for a very, very long time. Jovon hasn't had a great return since that BC game two years ago and even his most staunch supporters can't say that he's not slow at this point in time,

The phrase great return is subjective I guess, because last year, in the final game, it was JJ's lengthy return that set up our last touchdown, which won the game.

That was pretty 'great'.

signed - a staunch supporter

You're right, it's completely subjective and there's a good chance I've forgotten 1 or 2 "great" returns in the last few years. The main point I'm trying to make is that all else being equal, Demond Washington is a far superior returner than Jovon Johnson, especially at this point in their careers. I recognize that Demond has had difficulties holding onto the ball at times and Jovon, while not very effective at getting the ball upfield, has historically had more success with ball security. If Jovon continues to put the ball on the turf, there is absolutely no reason to keep him there over Demond.

Even beyond that, one or two "great" returns per-year is not very good no matter who you are.

Well the questionability of it comes with all the interfering Bruce was doing himself. Yes JJ was interfering, but so was Bruce, call it both ways. 

well you have to remember the "Montreal rule" comes into play here - ie when if possible there's a way to give Montreal the game on a bad call, proceed.