Wiecek Article

Read that article at the beach this morning and laughed my ass off. I think this is a new low for the Freep, now claiming the sky is falling on an 0-4 team...we shouldn't even play the games since Wiecek has already seen the future.

It's like they've gotten tired of criticizing the bombers for this week and just want to go ahead of start ripping them for a season they have yet to play.

Next article: "Winnipeg may not win a game in 2014".

I would say until any team EARNS some degree of what people deem positive media what exactly do you expect. Fans are fans media report. It's like people have often excused the officials of being biased against the Bombers, my responses was don't confuse inept with bias.

Is there anyone in the Winnipeg print media (besides Tait) who knows what they are talking about when it comes to the CFL? In Tuesday's Sun Penton called Hefney one of the stars of week 1 because he had 10 tackles and was around the ball a lot. I really don't think it's too much to ask to have someone who is knowledgeable and unbiased covering teams in pro sports.

Is there anyone in the Winnipeg print media (besides Tait) who knows what they are talking about when it comes to the CFL? In Tuesday's Sun Penton called Hefney one of the stars of week 1 because he had 10 tackles and was around the ball a lot. I really don't think it's too much to ask to have someone who is knowledgeable and unbiased covering teams in pro sports.

It kills me that Hefney is continually lauded for being a great tackler.  He led the Bombers in tackles last year at the DHB position.  To me, that screams of being unable to prevent completions; and QB's throwing at him, moreso than great tackling. 

Anyone know why Darrelle Revis never led the Jets in tackles?  Shutdown DB's don't get thrown at frequently...

It kills me that Hefney is continually lauded for being a great tackler.  He led the Bombers in tackles last year at the DHB position.  To me, that screams of being unable to prevent completions; and QB's throwing at him, moreso than great tackling. 

Anyone know why Darrelle Revis never led the Jets in tackles?  Shutdown DB's don't get thrown at frequently...

Big difference in responsibilities between a corner in the NFL and a halfback in the CFL.  All CFL halfbacks who start the whole season (or close to it) rack up big tackle numbers.  It can't really be avoided.

He is playing SAM now... you want your LBs to be your leading tacklers.

Hef had a ton of tackles last year because he was covering for Doe/Labbe/Logan/JJ, etc half the time.  We had a weak LB core for a good part of the year.

Hef had a ton of tackles last year because he was covering for Doe/Labbe/Logan/JJ, etc half the time.  We had a weak LB core for a good part of the year.

Everyone who knows the CFL game well knows the linebacker spot Hefney plays with Calgary is not a typical linebacker. Yes he is closer to the LOS, but he still has about 95% of the responsibilities of anyone in the secondary. Hefney with a lot of tackles IS NOT an indicator he played well, and as Mike mentioned, he got taken to school on the TD he was burnt for.

Everyone who knows the CFL game well knows the linebacker spot Hefney plays with Calgary is not a typical linebacker. Yes he is closer to the LOS, but he still has about 95% of the responsibilities of anyone in the secondary. Hefney with a lot of tackles IS NOT an indicator he played well, and as Mike mentioned, he got taken to school on the TD he was burnt for.

Tackles can be read any way you want.  Doesn't mean he was good but it also doesn't mean he was bad.  Gotta look at it on a play-by-play basis to truly know.

Chip Cox racks up big tackle numbers at SAM every year and he's one of the best there is.

tackles are more valuable the closer they are to the LOS. You gotta take them with a good dose of observation as well. If a guy is getting lots of tackles 20 yards downfield that's a problem, if he's getting lots within 5 yards that's good.

He was a DHB last year.  He is absolutely a great tackler... but the job of a DHB is to defend the pass.  Let's not lose sight of that. 

Look at the job our secondary did in pass coverage yesterday... I loved what Hefney brought to the Bombers for his first couple of years.  He became a guy who opposing QB's keyed on exploiting.  That's not good. 

What I don't disagree with is that you want your LB's to be your leading tacklers.  Hef didn't want to be an LB in Winnipeg.  Amazing how well a little perspective compliments a dinner of pink slip.