Matthias Goossen or Pierre Lavertu?

gbill2004

At this weeks free agency presser, Kyle Walters basically confirmed that we will be taking a centre with our 2nd overall pick in this years CFL draft.  The two top rated centre's are Pierre Lavertu and Matthias Goossen. 

Who do you think the Bombers should take? 

Are there any Canadian College football guru's who can provide analysis/scouting reports on each? 

Which of these OL's is more CFL ready? 

Lavertu... the only problem is, Ottawa might shy away from Tardif given his performance in the Shrine game and pickup Lavertu instead. They actually dont have depth on their C, since Hage might be retiring after a year or two.

Goosen... is not a bad consolation prize, to think he bump a lot of guys on the standings seems this guy is also a good prospect.

My pick is Lavertu but Goosen wont be bad.

Come on guys you know we will draft some off the board WR second overall!........what we fired Joe Mack????

In all honesty I'd love to get Tardif if Ottawa drops the ball on him. Goosen was ranked 15th at one point wasn't he? I know he's moved up a lot since but I think Tardif or Lavertu would be better then Goosen.

Tardif is expected to get NFL interest. Too risky. We need a guy who will stay. Plus we really need a centre. Based on Walters comments, we will draft Lavertu or Goossen.

Based on Walters comments, I think they'll be drafting a couple of OL prospects this season.   

He used Montreal as the model system for it's ability to bring in NI talent along the offensive line and noted that they bring in 1-2 guys every year.  In my mind, this is ideal.  Draft picks don't always pan out and you *need* a continual influx of talent to offset complacency, injuries and turnover.  Looking at the last decade for Montreal:

2004: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 2)

2005: 2 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 4, 6)

2006: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 3)

2007: 3 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 1, 2, 3)

2008: 2 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 2, 6)

2009: 3 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 1, 2, 6)

2010: 2 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 1, 4)

2011: 3 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 2, 3, 4)

2012: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 6)

2013: 2 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 5, 6)

20 offensive linemen drafted over the last decade.  Not every pick sticks or takes that next step but obviously they are well positioned to find that diamond in the rough.  It's also interesting to note that during this time they had some quality non-imports on their line .. they weren't necessarily drafting for need (rather long term sustainability at a position where non-imports are worth their weight in gold).

Compare that to Winnipeg:

2004: 0 offensive linemen drafted

2005: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 6)

2006: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 3)

2007: 0 offensive linemen drafted

2008: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 1)

2009: 2 offensive linemen drafted (Rounds 3, 4)

2010: 0 offensive linemen drafted (1 if Greaves is counted - Round 6)

2011: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 4) - 2 (if Dunn, who was drafted in Round 3 as a DT / OL is counted)

2012: 1 offensive linemen drafted (Round 1)

2013: 0 offensive linemen drafted

7 (9) offensive linemen drafted over the last decade.  Found the disparity here quite interesting - especially when one considers the state of our offensive line over the last number of years.

Based on Walters comments, I think they'll be drafting a couple of OL prospects this season.

If we traded our 2nd rounder for Neufeld, I kind of hope we use our third rounders for depth guys - linebackers, longer term prospects...  or simply package some picks to maybe move up...  maybe Taman ro Wally would swap their 2nd/4th rounds for our two 3rds

Montreal

20 offensive linemen drafted over the last decade.  Not every pick sticks or takes that next step but obviously they are well positioned to find that diamond in the rough.  It's also interesting to note that during this time they had some quality non-imports on their line .. they weren't necessarily drafting for need (rather long term sustainability at a position where non-imports are worth their weight in gold).

Compare that to Winnipeg:

7 (9) offensive linemen drafted over the last decade.  Found the disparity here quite interesting - especially when one considers the state of our offensive line over the last number of years.

Thanks for doing the homework V and I find that very interesting.

When Walters made that comment about using Montreal's model, I immediately reached for the like button.

I could never understand our lack of participation in drafting OL prospects and I can't state strong enough how this new strategy will serve us well for the future.

It will take awhile, but you have to start sometime.

I sure hope so. If there's 6 rounds in the draft, we should be taking 6 OL in my opinion.

That makes very, very little sense. You ought to believe the scouting department has more faith in themselves than that.

I sure hope so. If there's 6 rounds in the draft, we should be taking 6 OL in my opinion.

That makes very, very little sense. You ought to believe the scouting department has more faith in themselves than that.

Agreed.  I'm not a proponent of drafting linemen for the sake of it .. talent, upside and how the team is built with respect to the ratio always come into play .. that said when all things are equal you can't go wrong drafting a lineman. 

Curious...as of today, what are the picks that we own?

Round 1, 2nd overall

Round 3, 20, 26

Round 4, 29

Round 6, 47. 48

Round 7, 56

They really need to figure out what direction they are taking with the ratio (long term) .. this is going to help us sort out our draft.

I wonder if there is any market at all for those late round picks - everyone seems to be talking about this being a shallow draft

Round 1, 2nd overall

Round 3, 20, 26

Round 4, 29

Round 6, 47. 48

Round 7, 56

They really need to figure out what direction they are taking with the ratio (long term) .. this is going to help us sort out our draft.

I wonder if there is any market at all for those late round picks - everyone seems to be talking about this being a shallow draft

What you'll probably see is a few more punters, kickers and long snappers being taken. Guys like Brett Cameron will get taken this year instead of being UDFA. Probably a bundle more offensive linemen too, just hoping that guys hit growth spurts or something like that.

Agreed.  I'm not a proponent of drafting linemen for the sake of it .. talent, upside and how the team is built with respect to the ratio always come into play .. that said when all things are equal you can't go wrong drafting a lineman. 

But by taking 6 at once, you're essentially committing to throwing away at least 3 picks. It's not like they can do anything except play OL and there are only so many spots.

Round 1, 2nd overall

Round 3, 20, 26

Round 4, 29

Round 6, 47. 48

Round 7, 56

Walters is a canadian talent guru.. If there is value to be had with those picks, he will find it.. Diamonds in the rough..

But by taking 6 at once, you're essentially committing to throwing away at least 3 picks. It's not like they can do anything except play OL and there are only so many spots.

Simply saying .. there's never going to be a chance that you will use your entire allotment of picks (in a given draft class) on linemen .. always a need to consider how your roster is built because those incumbents need pushing as well ..

My comment about taking 6 o-lineman in one draft was a joke.  It was more of a statement about the current state of our OL.  I guess it wasn't clear that it was a joke... 

O-LIne jokes are tough, especially if home grown.

They have to show good promise and must be developed properly and there's time constraints.

I would look into coaching, although everybody seems to be looking for that at this time.