Walters to be on CJOB live momentarily

Mr. Perfect

Here's the thing. If we trade for Glenn, with starting players & a 1st rounder going the other way  to Ottawa, we overpay for the guy anyway. If Walters was so worried about not mortgaging the future, why'd he trade a second round pick for an injured Neufeld? We didn't have to do that. In the long run, it may have been the better move to pay to get Burris here. Does Kyle also think our first round pick won't come into play in a possible trade for a qb? Our future is already mortgaged. 

Walters has already explained why he traded for Neufeld. He felt that with what Neufeld gives you that you wouldn't find that in this year's draft with the said pick

Well, I get that Perfect, but he mortgaged the future in that trade. He may never start on the OL.

And that 2nd rounder may never start either. I'd say the move was a very solid one.

If Walters had spent the money necessary to get Burris here, I'd have lost my ****. People on here were freaking out about Walters being taken advantage of by veteran GMs out there, well here's proof that he's not gonna get pushed around. That's a flat-out ******** amount of money to put on a 39 year old QB who Austin just dumped for a nobody. Very VERY glad we said no to that, and I have no doubts there's contingency plans out the wazoo...

What a lame response, 'mortgage the future'.........really, like CFL contracts are guaranteed now......when did that happen and what future player are you going to pay top dollar to this year instead that can possibly be more important than a QB..........

Why not just admit you ****** up.........he wanted a 3 year deal and you offered 2 and he got his 3 from someone else, end of story.

It's not entirely about money.  Turning the team over to 39 year old Burris means you are committed to mediocrity for a long time because you aren't putting your energy into developing a QB.  So we win 5-6 games for a couple seasons with Burris, and back at square one.

Go with a guy like Willy, and we'll at least have a chance to progress into 2015-2016.

I think he's alluding to that as much or more than the money when he talks about mortgaging the future.

And it wasn't a 3 year vs 2 year issue...Ottawa is paying Burris nearly half a million dollars.

What a lame response, 'mortgage the future'.........really, like CFL contracts are guaranteed now......when did that happen and what future player are you going to pay top dollar to this year instead that can possibly be more important than a QB..........

Why not just admit you ****** up.........he wanted a 3 year deal and you offered 2 and he got his 3 from someone else, end of story.

It's not entirely about money.  Turning the team over to 39 year old Burris means you are committed to mediocrity for a long time because you aren't putting your energy into developing a QB.  So we win 5-6 games for a couple seasons with Burris, and back at square one.

Go with a guy like Willy, and we'll at least have a chance to progress into 2015-2016.

I think he's eluding to that as much or more than the money when he talks about mortgaging the future.

And it wasn't a 3 year vs 2 year issue...Ottawa is paying Burris nearly half a million dollars.

*alluding -- and yes, agreed on pretty much all of this...

This stinks. I don't know what is going on but there's a James Bond quote that occurs to me:" Once is happenstance (Reilly), twice is coincidence (Collaros), but three times is enemy action (Burris)" .

Walters is looking at other teams rosters? Apart from the #3 QB in Saskatchewan, there is NOBODY else out there if we don't sign Willy. Nothing today to inspire confidence. Walters may have been the victim of being out-maneuvered and all may yet be well, but Jeeez.

This stinks. I don't know what is going on but there's a James Bond quote that occurs to me:" Once is happenstance (Reilly), twice is coincidence (Collaros), but three times is enemy action (Burris)" .

Walters is looking at other teams rosters? Apart from the #3 QB in Saskatchewan, there is NOBODY else out there if we don't sign Willy. Nothing today to inspire confidence. Walters may have been the victim of being out-maneuvered and all may yet be well, but Jeeez.

You should stick to quotes from Harry Potter - they're more magical.  :)

Apart from the #2 QB from Sask. Willy, there is one of Crompton or Nichols, Toronto still has 4 QBs and ….Glenn.

Out-manuveured? By not paying $450-465000 for a stand-in QB?

Out-manuveur me all night long.

What future would we have mortgaged?  What young guy on this team is making top dollar?

A trade will mortgage the future much more than matching an offer.

Did Ottawa pay Burris 465k/yr for 3 years. If so that is what I would call mortgaging the future....financially. QBs have notorious egos so paying this old guy 1;3M is madness.

You can win a GC with a less than average QB (Sean Salisbury) if you have great D and a decent offense...

You should stick to quotes from Harry Potter - they're more magical.  :)

Apart from the #2 QB from Sask. Willy, there is one of Crompton or Nichols, Toronto still has 4 QBs and ….Glenn.

Out-maneuvered? By not paying $450-465000 for a stand-in QB?

Out-maneuver me all night long.

I wasn't referring to just the Burris thingie, or even Walters- its been one damned thing after another when it comes to quarterbacks. We've brought in one QB  dud after another for years, and its monotonous if not infuriating. It seems we're almost always a dollar short and a day late.

What future would we have mortgaged?  What young guy on this team is making top dollar?

Did Ottawa pay Burris 465k/yr for 3 years. If so that is what I would call mortgaging the future....financially. QBs have notorious egos so paying this old guy 1;3M is madness.

You can win a GC with a less than average QB (Sean Salisbury) if you have great D and a decent offense...

No.  An average quarterback and defence can get you to the big game... only to get blown out by a great quarterback...  see 2011.

No.  An average quarterback and defence can get you to the big game... only to get blown out by a great quarterback...  see 2011.

I'll take it.

On another thread, I posted that Chris Gidding, Hank's agent said that the CFL is entering a "brave new world" with the SMS set to go up by maybe by a half million dollars in 2015. He said that some CFL GMs recognize that & are in the process of restructuring & offering players contracts to reflect that reality while others aren't & are trying to get contracts done with the old thinking still in place saying that they'll change when the cap changes come. He said in the future more teams will be signing two qbs capable of starting games & paying both very well. He didn't mention Winnipeg so I don't know if we are in the other category or not. Tells me when Drew Willy comes on the market that his value will go up as well & if we aren't prepared to offer money that some fans think may be outrageous, we'll miss out on him, too.