Bombers resign Alex Suber

Mike

It would be hard to find a DB not named Osaisai who is worse in coverage when the ball is in the air (and that's nothing to do with being 5'6, it's a lack of awareness).  I appreciate his ability to get position on guys off the snap in man coverage, disrupt routes near the line of scrimmage and he's had some amazing games, but to put it simply, we could do a lot better. 

OK signing.  More of a foot soldier than a difference maker IMO.  Then again, we only have one or two difference makers to sign.

Hard to disagree, but every team needs those guys.

Agreed.  That's what makes it an OK signing.  A good signing is a better than average player and a great signing is a difference maker.

Receivers are getting bigger over all. There always were big receivers but there used to be a lot more smaller ones. That seems to be changing. Look at the Stamps receiving corps, Arthur, McDaniel, West & Price all over 6 feet tall. And Lewis at or near 6 feet tall but nearly 250 lbs. I believe the day of the 5'6 corner or db is coming to an end. That's why I'm neither excited or unhappy he re-signed. What did someone call Suber, a foot soldier? Sure, means he's okay but if someone better comes along, he won't be here.

Receivers are getting bigger over all. There always were big receivers but there used to be a lot more smaller ones. That seems to be changing. Look at the Stamps receiving corps, Arthur, McDaniel, West & Price all over 6 feet tall. And Lewis at or near 6 feet tall but nearly 250 lbs. I believe the day of the 5'6 corner or db is coming to an end. That's why I'm neither excited or unhappy he re-signed. What did someone call Suber, a foot soldier? Sure, means he's okay but if someone better comes along, he won't be here.

I'll take a 5'2 guy who can cover over a 6'5 guy who can't.  Doesn't really matter how tall a guy is if he can play the position and get leverage on people.  Suber is a great example of this as he took a guy like Richardson in his prime completely out of the game by destroying him at the line by getting leverage on him and not letting him run any of the timing routes that Trestman relied on.  Suber just really sucks at tracking the ball when he's not defending close to the line of scrimmage and making a play on it, it's not like he's getting physically manhandled.

Interesting study I just read on the impact of height in basketball.  Something like 75% of 7+ footers in the NBA are rated as below average defenders and rebounders, which is essentially why the 7 foot tall basketball player exists, especially defense because they are supposed to take away shots near the basket.

You can't attribute ability to size.  Ideally you'd have physical monsters at every spot on the field, but there just isn't an endless supply of guys who are 6 feet and up with the necessary skills to play corner and halfback in pro football, and often the ones that do make it are guys like Lenny Walls who was 6'4 200 lbs and would lose leverage to 5'10 receivers at the same weight.

I'll take a 5'2 guy who can cover over a 6'5 guy who can't. Doesn't really matter how tall a guy is if he can play the position and get leverage on people. Suber is a great example of this as he took a guy like Richardson in his prime completely out of the game by destroying him at the line by getting leverage on him and not letting him run any of the timing routes that Trestman relied on. Suber just really sucks at tracking the ball when he's not defending close to the line of scrimmage and making a play on it, it's not like he's getting physically manhandled.

Interesting study I just read on the impact of height in basketball. Something like 75% of 7+ footers in the NBA are rated as below average defenders and rebounders, which is essentially why the 7 foot tall basketball player exists, especially defense because they are supposed to take away shots near the basket.

You can't attribute ability to size. Ideally you'd have physical monsters at every spot on the field, but there just isn't an endless supply of guys who are 6 feet and up with the necessary skills to play corner and halfback in pro football, and often the ones that do make it are guys like Lenny Walls who was 6'4 200 lbs and would lose leverage to 5'10 receivers at the same weight.

I appreciate your analysis, but I saw with my own eyes last season, QBs would target whoever Suber was playing D on in the end zone, and recall thinking that if we had a DB on the WR who was a few inches taller, the TD would have been knocked down.

Stats can make a case for anything. My own eyes tell me Suber is too short. I do love his talent, character and effort though.

As they say in the commercials, size isn't everything.

How many times have you seen size worthy defenders get beaten by placement of the ball or reaction by the receiver rather than height of the defender?

I would say the presence of dynamic defenders is at the low end of the spectrum as is the presence of poor defenders.

By far, the greatest number of defenders fall into the middle spectrum of "good" defenders and, how they do falls much more in the scheming of the defence and their reliance on fellow players than on their skill level alone.

That's where I would place Suber…in the middle.

But, I just love how determined Suber is as he's getting ready on defence and he places himself well and he's a very good tackler. As JBR says, his tracking ability is just average and his speed to recover just isn't there, and that may be size-related.

Nevertheless, it's a solid signing.