Drew Willy

gbill2004

With Zach Collaros, you know you're going to see a QB who, when being chased, will stand a good chance of making a play, by either running or scrambling to throw.

With Drew Willy (that just doesn't sound right) I think you'll see him look for a passing outlet first, then scramble.

But he does have good presence in the pocket, and more experience will help him in…ahem, not evacuating prematurely.

Don't sign a QB that might be better behind a weak line because he can escape, but sign the right QB and improve the Oline.

Collaros is the guy WPG will be gunning for - if they get him, I'll be excited. He will win a lot of games in Blue & Gold - I just think Willy will win that many more.

This.
No. Not this. Why break yet another prospect behind a shoddy o-line? we all know we cant rebuild an o-line in a season... Hell probably not even in 2.. In those 2 seasons, a "pocket passer" qb can go from confident to scared and gunshy real quick, possibly beyond repair... We have all seen it happen.. Best to bring in a mobile QB who can throw as well (who are better suited to the CFL anyway) and give him and us a chance while we rebuild that o-line..

I'll never understand people that get such a hard on for mobile passers or say they are better suited for the CFL. Is it a nice asset to have? Sure it is but the primary job is to be able to throw the ball and throw it well. Willy does it better. Period.

Too many fans see football like a Madden video game where you can plug a player into any situation and it will be fine.

Man, are you delusional? The less mobile QB would be the "madden plug in" in this scenario.. Not the more versatile one..

But hey, contradicting yourself is always fun..

collaros proved he can move well and and throw well where as willy's mobility is more questionable..

Colin Kaepernick has all the tools physically but he can't read defenses real well. Once he learns that & is able to also become a pocket passer he'll be a great qb. I think the Zone Read Option in the NFL is going the way of the Passenger Pigeon & is becoming extinct like the Wildcat. So too, will qbs who can only play in that type of offense.The qbs that will have longevity will still be the ones who'll beat you with their arms & brains over their legs. Guys like Russell Wilson & Tom Clements extend plays by scrambling around & finding the open man. That seems to be what Zack Collaros is about. Finding a way to make plays work like a young Tom Clements. 

Not sure what we have to attract a QB...  no real top receivers (Edwards is almost retired and Watson perennially hurt) and a very very average, at times terrible, OL.  We need a good OL coach and a good QB coach in place asap.

I think Mtl, Edmonton, maybe even BC take a run at Burris - I don't see him heading to Wpg.

Not sure what we have to attract a QB... no real top receivers (Edwards is almost retired and Watson perennially hurt) and a very very average, at times terrible, OL. We need a good OL coach and a good QB coach in place asap.

I think Mtl, Edmonton, maybe even BC take a run at Burris - I don't see him heading to Wpg.

We have a couple things to attract a QB.... namely a starting job and an open checkbook.

Not sure what we have to attract a QB... no real top receivers (Edwards is almost retired and Watson perennially hurt) and a very very average, at times terrible, OL. We need a good OL coach and a good QB coach in place asap.

We have a couple things to attract a QB.... namely a starting job and an open checkbook.

this defeatist attitude is crazy. "what do we have to attract a QB"

Gimme a break.

Oh, I think Collaros or Willy will end up here... just not Burris to end his career.  I'm sure Walters et al can put a long-term plan together.

And that's the real sticking point isn't it .. as much as the fans deserve and need a winner .. we also need to look for sustainability .. to have a long term view of what to do at that position .. are we patient enough to see any plan through to fruition?

Oh, I think Collaros or Willy will end up here... just not Burris to end his career.  I'm sure Walters et al can put a long-term plan together.

And that's the real sticking point isn't it .. as much as the fans deserve and need a winner .. we also need to look for sustainability .. to have a long term view of what to do at that position .. are we patient enough to see any plan through to fruition?

We as in management? or we as in the fans.

Because I think each question has a different answer.

We as in management? or we as in the fans.

Because I think each question has a different answer.

fans are *******, they don't have patience for anything. 

Frustrating that so little is happening at this time of year when expectations of positive change are sky high.   My main concern over Collaros is his future ambitions and lack of info. regarding.  Haven't heard a thing about his try outs with NFL teams this winter or his prospects.  Even if the Bombers managed to sign him to a first contract he may still  elect to try his NFL luck again in 2-3 years time much like Dressler and Sheets in Sask....so I can't see how this bodes well for the Bombers long term plans. 

Bombers might have greatest success going with Hank in 2014 with Willy as his understudy and than putting their chips down on Willy to take over in 2015.  If Hank wants to stick around a couple of years past 2014 no problem as long as he accepts this transition in role and salary.  In this scenario either one coming in off the bench to rescue a game is going to sound good to me.

Frustrating that so little is happening at this time of year when expectations of positive change are sky high.   My main concern over Collaros is his future ambitions and lack of info. regarding.  Haven't heard a thing about his try outs with NFL teams this winter or his prospects.  Even if the Bombers managed to sign him to a first contract he may still  elect to try his NFL luck again in 2-3 years time much like Dressler and Sheets in Sask....so I can't see how this bodes well for the Bombers long term plans. 

Bombers might have greatest success going with Hank in 2014 with Willy as his understudy and than putting their chips down on Willy to take over in 2015.  If Hank wants to stick around a couple of years past 2014 no problem as long as he accepts this transition in role and salary.  In this scenario either one coming in off the bench to rescue a game is going to sound good to me.

This logic doesn't fly with me.

We should be worried about the prospect of a player going to the NFL in 2-3 years?

What are the odds he makes it? And on the flip side of your proposal, what's to say Drew Willy doesn't get a NFL look if he's successful with our club?

I think the biggest thing this board has against Willy is that they've seen more of Collaros than they have of Willy. 

My biggest knock is that he's got a silly last name.

Just think of how much other teams will loathe being lit up by a guy with a silly last name though...

In all seriousness though... value the QB's tools, not his airtime.  If we are looking for a long-term QB, "escapability" should not be considered a key factor.  It's a tool, but not nearly as important as leadership, footwork, and ability to read a defence.