Drew Willy

gbill2004

Drew Willy is a good prospect and all, but I highly doubt he would be successful here. Collaros has a much better chance of success behind our O-line IMO.

If you go back and watch some highlights on YouTube of Argos games (or look at some scouting reports of Collaros) his footwork and mechanics break down under pressure, hence my hesitance on him being the guy here behind our presently crap offensive line.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I really hope somehow Willy is with us next year. I have nothing against Collaros, I think he is serviceable. That being said he has flaws in his game that I don't see in Willy. Willy provides the complete package you want in a passer.

Yes and that is why he isn't playing in the NFL?

How is that relevant? Ray gives you the complete package as a QB  (Reading a defense, accuracy, knowing what passes need touch, footwork, mechanics, etc) but is not in the NFL.

It's relevant because you said he is the complete package. Obviously he's not, or he would still be playing there. Just because Ray plays well in the CFL doesn't mean he would ever be a very good NFL quarterback. I'll take him, but if you read some of the scouting reports, they're good, but he is not the complete package.

Definitely joking.

Not so sure. Unknown Poster is probably the staunchest Burke apologist and Pierce fan on the board.

He's either serious, or doing some deep water trolling.

No definitely a troll, tries to be funny with it but falls short in that regard. Real pity it's so obvious cause with some more refining could be a beauty.

I'm a troll?? Hahahahaha the state of this place. Sad.

Does anyone know where I could find the 2012 Banjo Bowl online where Willy was the starting QB for Sask? 

I was at that game....  all I remember was lots of fans mad at Burke for going for the punt (with a horrible punt by Renaud) and also the defense completely breaking down in the 4th quarter.    

I also remember several other points of the game where Joey Elliott was visibly frustrated at some of the plays in Rider territory... lots of really conservative stuff.  

Willy looked ok that night,  didn't look like a guy who was lost on the field.    Wasn't really impressed with his athletic ability but he definitely made smart plays. 

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I really hope somehow Willy is with us next year. I have nothing against Collaros, I think he is serviceable. That being said he has flaws in his game that I don't see in Willy. Willy provides the complete package you want in a passer.

How is that relevant? Ray gives you the complete package as a QB  (Reading a defense, accuracy, knowing what passes need touch, footwork, mechanics, etc) but is not in the NFL.

It's relevant because you said he is the complete package. Obviously he's not, or he would still be playing there. Just because Ray plays well in the CFL doesn't mean he would ever be a very good NFL quarterback. I'll take him, but if you read some of the scouting reports, they're good, but he is not the complete package.

Of course it doesn't. That's why the Jets cut him when Ray tried the NFL during training camp. The point was is that Ray (and Willy, though they are different style of passers) do everything well that you need to do to be successful in the CFL. Your NFL point is irrelevant.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-of-the-day-Cincinnati-QB-Zach-Collaros.html

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2012/QB/Zach-Collaros

Two scouting reports on Collaros that question his footwork and his ability under pressure.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2009dwilly.php

Willy is noted for being solid under pressure - and whoever is here will need to be at least in 2014 because the line is going to need some time to be considered in the upper echelon in the CFL. Not saying Collaros is a bad QB or anything like that. He's proven he's capable. I just don't think he fits here with what we have. Yes the sample size is smaller on Willy (sample size was even smaller on Reilly if you recall but showed he's a pretty good passes this year) but Willy can do the things you need done in Winnipeg. I'm not convinced Collaros can bring that.

Willy is noted for being solid under pressure - and whoever is here will need to be at least in 2014 because the line is going to need some time to be considered in the upper echelon in the CFL. Not saying Collaros is a bad QB or anything like that. He's proven he's capable. I just don't think he fits here with what we have. Yes the sample size is smaller on Willy (sample size was even smaller on Reilly if you recall but showed he's a pretty good passes this year) but Willy can do the things you need done in Winnipeg. I'm not convinced Collaros can bring that.

I disagree.  Scouting reports from college are one thing, the CFL is another thing altogether.  With our less-than-spectacular OL, Collaros' escapability in the pocket will serve him well.  To me, Willy seems like more of a traditional pocket passer... accurate and good decision maker, but not going to wiggle is way out of a jam the way Collaros can.  IMO, the ability to extend plays like Durant and Burris can gives you such a huge advantage in the CFL, as defenses start to scramble and that big field opens right up.  Collaros has shown that ability and I haven't seen it from Willy yet.

I was at the game as well but wasn't paying close attention to Willy. Based on the highlites he looks good.

I will never forget that decision by Burke. Worst decision ever.

Sadly the worst decision ever was taking the knee last season..... absolutely awful. 

Collaros's escapability trumps willy's supposed elite passing ability in our offense.. Our o-line will not give him enough steamboats where as collaros showed me some sick side step and ability to sense when he had to gtfo and move..

Willy would be the better choice IMO.

Don't sign a QB that might be better behind a weak line because he can escape, but sign the right QB and improve the Oline.

Collaros is the guy WPG will be gunning for - if they get him, I'll be excited. He will win a lot of games in Blue & Gold - I just think Willy will win that many more.

Maybe we sign both.

Willy doesn't have the experience to be considered a pocket passer with such a quick release it doesn't matter how many guys they bring cause they can't get him. He will need a lot more time then we can give him.

Collaros has shown that he can step up, move around, avoid the rush and improvise to make plays, and has won games on the road. He's much more mobile as well.

If we were talking about Day Mac/Anthony Calvio type.... heck even Kevin Glenn... the above would be a statement I could get behind. But Willy is much to green for me to get excited about him behind our O-line.... In my opinion....

Of course it doesn't. That's why the Jets cut him when Ray tried the NFL during training camp. The point was is that Ray (and Willy, though they are different style of passers) do everything well that you need to do to be successful in the CFL. Your NFL point is irrelevant.

Actually my NFL point is relevant. It was you who stated Willy is the complete package...if he was, he would still be playing in the NFL. The comparison to Ray is irrelevant!

Don't sign a QB that might be better behind a weak line because he can escape, but sign the right QB and improve the Oline.

Collaros is the guy WPG will be gunning for - if they get him, I'll be excited. He will win a lot of games in Blue & Gold - I just think Willy will win that many more.

This.

No. Not this. Why break yet another prospect behind a shoddy o-line? we all know we cant rebuild an o-line in a season... Hell probably not even in 2.. In those 2 seasons, a "pocket passer" qb can go from confident to scared and gunshy real quick, possibly beyond repair... We have all seen it happen.. Best to bring in a mobile QB who can throw as well (who are better suited to the CFL anyway) and give him and us a chance while we rebuild that o-line..

This.

No. Not this. Why break yet another prospect behind a shoddy o-line? we all know we cant rebuild an o-line in a season... Hell probably not even in 2.. In those 2 seasons, a "pocket passer" qb can go from confident to scared and gunshy real quick, possibly beyond repair... We have all seen it happen.. Best to bring in a mobile QB who can throw as well (who are better suited to the CFL anyway) and give him and us a chance while we rebuild that o-line..

I'll never understand people that get such a hard on for mobile passers or say they are better suited for the CFL. Is it a nice asset to have? Sure it is but the primary job is to be able to throw the ball and throw it well. Willy does it better. Period.

Too many fans see football like a Madden video game where you can plug a player into any situation and it will be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Willy is fairly mobile himself. Maybe not to the extent of Collaros, but he is mobile.

He's able to avoid the rush and make plays, but a 4.94 40 time doesn't exactly scream mobile in the sense most people think about when it comes to quarterbacks. You aren't going to see Willy running option reads, bootlegs, etc.

In comparison, five offensive lineman ran 4.95 or better in last year's scouting combine.