How Long Before The Club Makes A Big Move

Brandon

I've sat thru worse conditions over the years at Winnipeg Stadium. Sat thru -25C temps & blizzards. Rain, sleet, etc. That was the worst crowd I think I've ever seen. Football fans are supposed to be tough & not wimps.

Sitting on the west side for the really rainy game last year (can't remember which one it was), CanadInns Stadium looked less than half full on the east side. This was with covered seating areas.

The Oilers have been sold out for years.  Last year was a great year for getting rid of extra tickets.  

I think there is cause for concern in Edmonton too... and it's not just related to the Esks, with the OIlers being as poor as they have been as well the sports fans in that town are giving up on the local teams since they're both such a mess.

The Oilers have a bright future at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly something is not right with this club.  I don't give a crap if Burke pre-warned everyone that we were going to get hammered by Hamilton ....   I've never seen a winning team with an attitude and with such a poor pre season performance in this league.  

The common sense alarms are ringing constantly .... we cut experienced talented players and bring in nobodies.... we keep a brittle over the hill QB despite EVERY ONE else saying it's a very bad move (from fan to sports analyst).......  We can't even score 1 single TD in pre season when other teams are supposedly playing their rookies.  The club has been anemic outside of the defense for the last 3 years and instead of adding pieces to the puzzle we cut guys like Elliott and expect rookies to come in and magically light it up.      

Despite being a Mack-fan ,  I think his time is running out very fast.   Same goes with Burke who has shown nothing in his time here as a HC aside from some questionable media quotes and lots of questionable coaching decisions.   I think it even runs even deeper with bizarre decisions such as extending Burke before he actually proved that he could coach in this league.       

While it's no foregone conclusion that this time will definitely lose out and get steamrolled each game....  I'm pretty sure this club will struggle to match how many wins they had last season.   The only hope and prayer they have is that Max Hall quickly picks up the game and becomes the next Gem of a QB.   That's a pretty long shot.    

I think if they are something poor like 1 - 7   that the club will make the panic move and trade for Glenn or sign a Jyles/McPherson.    It's not moves that I want them to make but I can't see Mack standing strong if we are just getting pummeled more then Gianna Micheals week in and week out!!     

So I'll say at the 8 game marker the team panics and makes a move.  

Anyone else think they'll do the same,  if so will they do it sooner or later or maybe after the season clean house?

Just want to revisit this thread....  anyone think panic is about to set in for the BB?

Yes. if I was a Director, I'd be terrified. How does this team service the debt & make money with 25,000 or less in the stands which is what is going to happen. The BOD got the team into this mess by making bad decisions. The rot starts at the very top.

Yes. if I was a Director, I'd be terrified. How does this team service the debt & make money with 25,000 or less in the stands which is what is going to happen. The BOD got the team into this mess by making bad decisions. The rot starts at the very top. Only the Bombers can continually keep screwing up even though the fanbase keeps forgiving them. The  stadium debacle last season, the bad coaching  & constant shuffling of personnel & now this sorry excuse of a football team. Yet the fans keep coming back. But for how long??? TSN & the national media keep saying how great the Rider Nation fans are. No way, the best fans in the CFL are right here in Winnipeg.  About time management starts rewarding us with a team we can be proud of.

Yes. if I was a Director, I'd be terrified. How does this team service the debt & make money with 25,000 or less in the stands which is what is going to happen. The BOD got the team into this mess by making bad decisions. The rot starts at the very top.

Maybe not a bad thing though.

The BOD is concerned with one thing only, the bottom line. When that is threatened they will react, how remains to be seen. I see two choices and it's probably cheaper for them to demand some sort of player movement that brings a marquee player to the team to restore public confidence as opposed to just blowing it up. But doing nothing while Rome burns is not an option.

When do you think the government starts to panic? Oh when the Club can't service the debt and fans see the shine off of the new seats. I wonder if True North would be interested in a new building? Manage a team and load in the concerts ? Could it be any worse.

Stupid comment about the jets.

I long suggested the government should have gone to True North with hat in hand when Asper backed out of the stadium. But TN won't want to inherit a $200 million debt for a facility with little to no development and revenue options above and beyond game revenue.

MTSC and the jets have allowed TN to invest heavily on the downtown area and generate increased revenue streams. With IGF on campus there are no real options for that.

Point is the Bombers will have no better of an onfield product with True North at the helm then they do now and it is ridiculous to assume that they will.

but yeah, plz ban this guy.

Obviously trolling every time he mentions Buck Pierce needing to start, anybody with half a brain could see Buck Pierce is now useless.

It's idiotic to assume they would have the exact same on field performance with TN as owners.

New owners equals new visions equals new CEO equals new GM equals new coaches. But same performance? That is just plain stupid. If you're point is to criticize Jets management for how they have managed the Jets than best you stick to football.

Stupid comment about the jets.

I long suggested the government should have gone to True North with hat in hand when Asper backed out of the stadium. But TN won't want to inherit a $200 million debt for a facility with little to no development and revenue options above and beyond game revenue.

MTSC and the jets have allowed TN to invest heavily on the downtown area and generate increased revenue streams. With IGF on campus there are no real options for that.

I think this will end up happening in the not too distant future.  The Bombers won't be able to service the debt for very long, the provincial government will take pennies on the dollar and TNSE will get the team for basically nothing in exchange for taking the liability from the city and province.

I can't see true north taking the stadium debt. It's one thing if it was their sole venture but taking on that kind of debt when they have so much tied up with the jets would be too much.

It would have to be a scenario where they weren't guaranteed to pay the debt. A CFL team just isn't huge business compared to the jets and their other interests. It could certainly be a nice revenue stream but only if it was clearly profitable

Had the stadium been built in headingly TN might be more interested.

But is love to see it. Maybe as part of the deal TN would be given more VLTs to guarantee the debt servicing aspect of revenue. Then it's a no brained

Do people forget that TN has control of concerts within the city as part of their agreement. Any concert hosted at CanadInns and Investors is thru TN and not all money in the Bombers pockets. There is the increased money stream for TN, no hand out to the Bombers. People need to see the big picture here. U r right TN gets a deal and doesn't eat the debt. The government then has a sound management team overseeing their investment not the current circus clowns.

People seem to be forgetting the UoM's interest in IGF. And that IGF has to remain publicly owned. What debt do the Bombers have with the City?

From 2014 - 2018 they can service the debt using money from the TSN contract.

People seem to be forgetting the UoM's interest in IGF. And that IGF has to remain publicly owned. What debt do the Bombers have with the City?

From 2014 - 2018 they can service the debt using money from the TSN contract.

"Community" ownership means the team is ultimately owned by the city and province.  When it teeters on the brink of financial ruin, it'll be the city and province bailing it out with loans, for example the last time the Bombers got to keep city entertainment taxes collected on Bomber tickets.

Winnipeg Enterprises was a city owned corporation that was set up to run both the Arena & the Stadium. The Bombers & Jets paid rent to the city through Winnipeg Enterprises & in turn they looked after both buildings. It was a political entity & a lot of councillors wanted on that board as it meant free tickets to Bombers, Jets & concerts. Some say Enterprises overcharged for rent & that the 2 teams had a hard time dealing with them or getting improvements done. I do know this that when Enterprises ran the stadium it was kept  in much better condition than in the end as the Bombers couldn't afford the upkeep.