Burke Reaches Out To Vets

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/burke-reaches-out-to-his-veterans-211939551.html

Statement games are usually events that become prominent on players' resumes.

For coaches, there are more wide-ranging opportunities to create highlights and turning points and to have course-changing influence and impact.

Was Monday such a day for Winnipeg Blue Bombers' head coach Tim Burke?

Part-way through the workout at the practice field just west of Investors Group Stadium, Burke, about to begin his first full season in charge, assembled about two dozen veteran players.

Practice continued all about them, as if the small group was in its own little bubble, while the coach spoke.

"Basically I told them, most of (you) guys are going to make the team," Burke said after practice. "Now it's up to them: 'What kind of team do you want to have?'

Continued at link ...

The very first thing I learned about football when I started playing as a small child is that if you play in fear of being hurt or injured, you will suck and probably get injured. Not a fan of Burke coaching scared. We have guys playing different positions, a different offence. I don't think it would be a bad idea to give the starters a half so they can truly hit the ground running on the 27th. All the practice reps in the world will not simulate game speed.

The very first thing I learned about football when I started playing as a small child is that if you play in fear of being hurt or injured, you will suck and probably get injured. Not a fan of Burke coaching scared. We have guys playing different positions, a different offence. I don't think it would be a bad idea to give the starters a half so they can truly hit the ground running on the 27th. All the practice reps in the world will not simulate game speed.

I think a bigger part of it is that they just don't want to take that many guys on the road. But I do agree with you on the idea that playing to not get hurt is the worst thing you can do. 

"Most of these guys are the same guys who were here in 2011," Burke said. "I feel like they should believe that they're winners."

So... that would be JJ, Suber and Turner?  Could count Muamba and Sears I suppose - they were backups - but, wow, our D has had a serious overhaul since 2011...

You got that right. Usually the final exhibition game is played that way. Not a fan of Burke leaving Buck at home. This is playing scared. Either he can take the hits or not. If he's that fragile why is he even playing pro football??? It should be about getting the team ready for the season not protecting Buck. And yeah, I know Pierce gives us the best chance to win but still.... he needed to play a half in this game. Not sit in the coaches box scouting. 

Burke is a rookie coach and he there will be growing pains.  This will be a learning lesson for him.

Not only do I fear the starters will come in behind a step or rusty for the first game, but I also fear a blow out in the pre-season game.  It's very difficult to evaluate when the game is a blow out.

But like I said, this is Burke's first training camp and pre-season ever as head coach. There will be a learning curve.

Actually, I like the fact Buck isn't playing.

At the very least, it gives us part of what we wanted (backups getting playing time) even though it's not under ideal conditions.

Agreed.  Though it would have been nice for Buck and the starting O to, ya know, complete a pass or 2 in the preseason....

Pretty nervous to see what our opening possession(s) are like on the 27th...

Agreed.  Though it would have been nice for Buck and the starting O to, ya know, complete a pass or 2 in the preseason....

Pretty nervous to see what our opening possession(s) are like on the 27th...

I think it's a given that the opening possessions will be pretty bad. If the Bombers are going to win this year it'll be on the strenght of their running backs with some help from a middling passing game.

Great quote from JT Gilmore in the Free Press today

Gilmore, who started five games for the Bombers last season, says he has a new goal this season.

"Everyone wants to be feared," said Gilmore. "I want offensive linemen across the league to be disappointed they have to face me week in and week out."

Hopefully this is the attitude the vets are going to bring to the game this year.

His girls were pretty hot too....

gilmore_girls_pc.jpg

Oh God, I love Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel.

(Also, I never thought I'd see the day where a Gilmore Girls image would be posted on a Bomber forum. I will spare you all an explanation of my Bombers/Gilmore Girls connection that goes back many years, but thank you for what is an absolutely hilarious image for me and my friend who browses but doesn't post and will probably see this.)