Collaros to wait for free agency?

Mr. Perfect

No, I want us to pursue Colaros as hard as we've ever pursued a player & not lose. Throw the CFL equivalent of a Brink's truck at him to be able to sign him. Whatever other CFL offer we match & do better. Haven't seen enough of Willy to know if he's the guy long term. But I feel Colaros is. The only other young qbs I feel just as strongly about are Troy Smith & BLM. Both will be protected I'm certain. Once we sign him then start rebuilding that gawd awful OL.

Nah, what I get outta that article is that Barker's screwed. I think Collaros, his agent, and Walters are all working together and trying to save the Bombers from trading too much to get him. He knows he's going to Winnipeg, so he's trying to maximize the deal for them. If he doesn't sign with the Argos, then the Bombers get him for next-to-nothing. 

This is a done deal, IMO...

Back when Mike Reilly was in a similar situation, I wondered why he wouldn't wait a couple of weeks and test FA, but he had already made up his mind so the point was moot.

This year, if Collaros is thinking FA, I can see his point, but his situation may not be as lucrative as he thinks. If he's thinking NFL, that would be waste of time IMO. If he's only thinking CFL, then the only team without a starting QB is the Bombers, and we would seem to have more choices than he does.

His decision should be an easy one and I believe he is only trying to maximize his position. 

Nah, what I get outta that article is that Barker's screwed. I think Collaros, his agent, and Walters are all working together and trying to save the Bombers from trading too much to get him. He knows he's going to Winnipeg, so he's trying to maximize the deal for them. If he doesn't sign with the Argos, then the Bombers get him for next-to-nothing. 

You really think so?  You think it's not just about Collaros wanting to find out what the market will bear?

If he's only thinking CFL, then the only team without a starting QB is the Bombers

Ottawa and Winnipeg need starting QBs in 2014.  Hamilton, too -- Burris and LeFevour are both free agents.

If he's only thinking CFL, then the only team without a starting QB is the Bombers

Ottawa and Winnipeg need starting QBs in 2014.  Hamilton, too -- Burris and LeFevour are both free agents.

You forget, by then, Ottawa will have picked their starter, likely from the roster of the Stampeders.

As to Hamilton, Collaros would still have to outdo whichever QB Ham. re-signs.

You really think so?  You think it's not just about Collaros wanting to find out what the market will bear?

Unless Burris absolutely craps his pants today how does Hamilton not bring the guy back? 

No this is between Ottawa and Winnipeg and I get the impression that Walters doesn't give a **** about tampering so I think there's a good chance that Collaros knows how much interest there is in Winnipeg for him. Why would he sign with Toronto now? He knows he's not staying there so why sign just so Barker can try and get more from where ever he is going to wind up? 

You really think so? You think it's not just about Collaros wanting to find out what the market will bear?

Ottawa and Winnipeg need starting QBs in 2014. Hamilton, too -- Burris and LeFevour are both free agents.

True. If Hamilton signed Collaros then I'd assume Bombers would end up with Burris. He'd be a decent consolation prize, as he'd be nothing more than a 1-2 year stopgap, but Collaros remains the prize.

You really think so? You think it's not just about Collaros wanting to find out what the market will bear?

Ottawa and Winnipeg need starting QBs in 2014. Hamilton, too -- Burris and LeFevour are both free agents.

Unless Burris absolutely craps his pants today how does Hamilton not bring the guy back?

No this is between Ottawa and Winnipeg and I get the impression that Walters doesn't give a **** about tampering so I think there's a good chance that Collaros knows how much interest there is in Winnipeg for him. Why would he sign with Toronto now? He knows he's not staying there so why sign just so Barker can try and get more from where ever he is going to wind up?

Thing with Ottawa is it's pretty much a given they take Kevin Glenn. With Glenn in Ottawa I can't see Collaros signing there.

Running through all these scenarios in my head, factoring in Ottawa and Hamilton, one of these 4 QBs will be on the Bombers in 2014: Collaros, Burris, Glenn or Tate.

Thing with Ottawa is it's pretty much a given they take Kevin Glenn. With Glenn in Ottawa I can't see Collaros signing there.

Running through all these scenarios in my head, factoring in Ottawa and Hamilton, one of these 4 QBs will be on the Bombers in 2014: Collaros, Burris, Glenn or Tate.

Why is Glenn to Ottawa such a sure thing?  He's a free agent next year so if the Redblacks take him in the expansion draft, all they win is an extra few weeks to "exclusively" negotiate with him.

The only QB with starting experience who is signed for 2013 and likely to be exposed is Tate.  Everyone else is a free agent.  Ottawa's QB1 is going to come through free agency.  Anything can happen in free agency.

Sometime after the Grey Cup we need to have a QB carousel prediction thread.

Why is Glenn to Ottawa such a sure thing? He's a free agent next year so if the Redblacks take him in the expansion draft, all they win is an extra few weeks to "exclusively" negotiate with him.

The only QB with starting experience who is signed for 2013 and likely to be exposed is Tate. Everyone else is a free agent. Ottawa's QB1 is going to come through free agency. Anything can happen in free agency.

Glenn is not a free agent. He has one year remaining on his current contract.

Why is Glenn to Ottawa such a sure thing?  He's a free agent next year so if the Redblacks take him in the expansion draft, all they win is an extra few weeks to "exclusively" negotiate with him.

The only QB with starting experience who is signed for 2013 and likely to be exposed is Tate.  Everyone else is a free agent.  Ottawa's QB1 is going to come through free agency.  Anything can happen in free agency.

Glenn signed an extension with Calgary, as did Mitchell.

Glenn's not a FA this offseason.

Love your optimism...

Like JBR said, it would be crazy for Collaros to re-sign in TO and let them control what happens to him. They have to trade his rights or lose him for nothing in FA.

And as 17to85 alluded to, who really gives a crap about tampering? The slap on the wrist from the CFL would be worth it, as this is too important for us to screw up.

How is tampering defined? For example, could the Bombers talk to Collaros agent, and just not directly with Collaros? Or is talking about Collaros to his agent considered tampering?

Any of those are tampering.  The Bombers would have to get the Argos permission to negotiate with Collaros, which is probably a good idea for Barker if he wants to maximize Collaros' trade value.