MBB - You be the GM

TrueBlue

Plenty of good conversation going on here in the last few days, and good on everyone for keeping most of it civil and open for debate.  I was going to post this in a couple of weeks but figured if members want to take the time before putting in their posts, might as well start the challenge now.

Our local writers will often put in a “You be the GM” article asking fans to pick from multiple choice answers to dictate what they would do in the off-season.  This off-season will be a particularly challenging/exciting off-season where a vast multitude of events can happen, and only the well prepared will survive with a good grade.

So I ask those who have the opportunity, to voice your tasks, in order, if you were named the permanent GM of this team tomorrow.  Please detail your plans throughout the time from now until at least after the Canadian draft.  This includes these key events:

-Hiring a head coach

-Transactions before the dispersal draft

-Players protected from the draft

-Transactions after the dispersal draft

-Free agency

-Canadian draft 

If you want to go into signings of rookies/players south of border, including the addition of players to the neg list, by all means.  The more detailed the better.

I only have two rules about this thread:

1) Try to be descriptive about your decisions.  For example, if you want to trade for Collaros prior to the dispersal draft, state who you are trading and why. Try your best to make these trades sound reasonable.

2) Members can discuss/challenge someone’s decisions, but it will be left at that.  This isn’t meant to be a pissing match, or about calling names to people who may not have a difference of opinions.  We’re all encouraged to take part in this. 

So take some time if you need to, or get right at it.  I’m excited to see what everyone thinks.

PS- I of course plan to contribute as well.  I need a few days to gather my thoughts, so expect something from me by the end of the week. 

Alright, here goes.

First thing I do is do whatever it takes to convince the board that they need to open up the chequebook for Dave Dickenson. If I'm given the ability to hire whoever I want, I hire him to be the next head coach.

I'm keeping Walters as assistant GM and I'm confirming the hiring of Rick Worman as my director of player personnel.

Next thing I'm doing is getting on the phone with Jim Barker and offering him the same deal Buono got last year for Reilly. Seen as how we do not have a second rounder in 2013, I'm offering our 2015 second rounder, I'll swap thirds in 2014 and to make up the difference, I'm flipping him an extra fourth in 2014 in exchange for Collaros.

Next up, I'm prepping for the expansion draft.

Protections:

QB: Collaros

Canadians: Henoc, Neufeld, Greaves, Watson, Pencer, Kohlert

Americans: Washington, Terrell Parker, Wild, Matthews, January, Anderson, Turner, Sears, Jarvis Jones and Desia Dunn.

I prepare myself for the Redblacks to take either Swiston or Poblah and then in the second round of the non-import protection, I keep Cauchy, Etienne, Volny, Jake Thomas, Labbe (because I show my veterans some love) and whoever they have not taken between Swiston and Poblah.

Moving along, I've now got to survey the situation across the league and see how my roster stacks up. Looking at our list of free agents, I'm going after Henoc, Kohlert, Etienne and Labbe as my priority Canadians and Matthews as well as Brandon Stewart and Wallace Miles as my priority imports. I'd look across the league to fill some holes on the offensive line and maybe some secondary help but other than that, I'm probably going to scout new talent for competition in my other areas. At running back, I'm looking for a guy who can catch out of the backfield as a safety valve for my young QB. At receiver, I'm probably satisfied going into the season with the group I have but I'm definitely looking down south for talent seen as how it's a position we could always upgrade.

On the offensive line, I have to imagine myself going into the year with a 3 NI offensive line and I'm looking across the league to see if there is the potential to upgrade my entire interior. While I've protected Neufeld and Greaves, I'm certainly not writing their names in pen on my depth chart. I'm also ready to push Jones at RT with a guy like Pencer. Dimitri Tsoumpas is a specific name I'd target to upgrade at guard.

Defensive line, I'm not too worried. Kenny Mainor can come back or he can go but I'm at least offering a deal. I'm on the phone with Darren Gill constantly getting updates on Bilukidi and I'm very willing to let a guy like McAdoo compete with some young guys from the US on the line. Zach Anderson+Bryant Turner are pretty solid in my interior.

Linebackers, I like my depth for once.

Secondary, focal point during offseason scouting. Also not opposed to bringing in some veterans here if Jovon is not around or I'm unable to resign Stewart.

Kicking, I'm working hard to sign Liam Higglyjiggly or whatever and I'm also taking a long hard look at Mike Renaud. This might be a spot where I look to teams around the league to see what's available.

Neg list work ... I'm getting guys like Armanti Edwards and Denard Robinson off my list and I'm letting Rick Worman scour the US for QB prospects. I'm also getting the word out to agents that this is not Joe Mack's house anymore and there's no reason to be apprehensive about coming to Winnipeg. No more refusals to play here.

Pipeline players ... I want updates on Stephen Alli and I want to get Robertson and Aprile inked to deals ASAP. DiCroce needs to be back in camp as well.

Canadian draft ... Knowing I have second overall and knowing a serious need is a center with long term potential, I'm putting Pierre Lavertu from Laval at the top of my draft board.

Pretty much the same as Mike.

In terms of Neg list players I am getting Brock Jensen from NDSU on that list immediately. If this guy does not get on a NFL roster as practice player or 3rd QB I want him up here. He has done it all in his time at NDSU has won 2 national championships/national championship MVPs and is in position to make a run for his third in a row. In that time he has won all but one game as the starter for them. He has great mobility to get out of the pocket and run. Is not asked to pass a lot in the run heavy NDSU offense but can get it done through the air. Reminded me a little of Travis Lulay when I have seen him play. The biggest thing though it comes back to is that he is a winner.

Head coach - Dave Dickenson. Everyone else are just also rans, a distant second. I don't care the price, just go get him. Period.

Walters is my GM and Worman is my director of player personnel. I know Walters doesn't have GM experience prior to this year, but I've been impressed with his moves so far, and I REALLY like the time he has put into mock drafting the expansion and the CFL draft so far. Worman is a quality CFL man, his knowledge would be great on the staff.

Contrary to most people, I'm taking the free agency route and I'm getting Drew Willy. I love what this kid can do. While Collaros has shown good things, I have concerns with consistency (specifically starting slow), mechanics, and how he handles the pass rush. That being said, I won't be disappointing if ZC is our guy, Willy is just my number one. I'd also be fine with Tate but I don't see that happening.

Assuming I get Willy in free agency, my protection list looks like this:

QB: Hall

Canadians: H. Muamba, Neufeld, Greaves, Watson, Kohlert, Swiston

Americans: Turner, Dunn, Miles, January, Jones, Parker, Wild, Anderson, Sears, Washington

I figure Ottawa takes Poblah so with that my next round of protections are Pencer, Etienne, Labbe, Volny, Thomas, Parenteau

Free agents - Henoc is the #1 priority obviously. Kohlert, Labbe and Etienne in that order for Canadians.

American free agents - I love what I've seen from Wallace Miles so I make sure I go and get him. I'm not bringing back Jovon Johnson so signing Stewart is a priority.

Other teams free agents - Not sure how accurate or inaccurate the rumors are about Andrew Harris and his relationship with the B.C. Lions but if he makes it out as a free agent, I'm all over him faster than a fat kid on doughnuts. Secondary target is Tsumpas. Solid O-Lineman that would be a great contributor here.

CIS - Admittedly I have not paid nearly as much attention as I do typically. I've been very uninterested for the most part, mostly because of whats been happening with the Bombers so I'm not going to speculate on the draft.

I like our front seven for the most part. As for the secondary, as I said, Johnson is gone, Cauchy can collect his pink slip as well.

Kicking - DeAngelis can't be back, that much is for certain. Whether you fill that hole via trade, free agency or the draft I think is up in the air.

Based on what he showed in camp in the summer, I give Brett Carter a legitimate chance to make next season's roster.

So you protect Matthews even though he's a free agent and has publicly said he's going be trying out for NFL next year? Seems like a wasted protected player to me.

Based on how his season went do you forsee a lot of NFL interest in the guy? 

Yeah, I see more NFL interest in Muamba than Matthews, quite frankly.  Matthews when he did play looked like he had gone to the Kamau Peterson school for dropping passes into your midriff during the off-season.

So you protect Matthews even though he's a free agent and has publicly said he's going be trying out for NFL next year? Seems like a wasted protected player to me.

Yeah, I see more NFL interest in Muamba than Matthews, quite frankly. Matthews when he did play looked like he had gone to the Kamau Peterson school for dropping passes into your midriff during the off-season.

Matthews confirmed he had NFL interest last season and intends on pursuing the NFL next year. There is zero percent chance the Bombers protect Matthews.

Yeah, I see more NFL interest in Muamba than Matthews, quite frankly. Matthews when he did play looked like he had gone to the Kamau Peterson school for dropping passes into your midriff during the off-season.

Matthews confirmed he had NFL interest last season and intends on pursuing the NFL next year. There is zero percent chance the Bombers protect Matthews.

yes but last year he was coming off rookie of the year and a generally pretty damned good season, this offseason he's coming off an injury plagued year and a season in which he under performed. Things change in football, I'm not sure the interest will still be as strong. Not like there's a shortage of receivers in the states for NFL teams to pick from. Maybe he goes maybe not but right now I think it's far from a sure thing like everyone assumed it was before. 

yes but last year he was coming off rookie of the year and a generally pretty damned good season, this offseason he's coming off an injury plagued year and a season in which he under performed. Things change in football, I'm not sure the interest will still be as strong. Not like there's a shortage of receivers in the states for NFL teams to pick from. Maybe he goes maybe not but right now I think it's far from a sure thing like everyone assumed it was before.

There's still zero percent chance the Bombers protect him.

Then again, who said there was?

He's on your protected list in this thread.

He's on your protected list in this thread.

This is a "what would you do" thread, not a "what you think the Bombers will do" thread.

How about you share what you would do?

Off the top of my head... I'd get rid of the entire coaching staff day one, then knowing i'm not qualified to be GM, I call Higgins and offer him the job.  He's the only guy I can think of who is available and has experience building / rebuilding a team.  Plan B, John Murphy who hasn't been a GM but has 9 years AGM experience.

I'd like to see:

AGM/Director Of Player Personnel: Here is where I'd really like John Murphy, but I doubt he'd consider it as he is already the AGM/DirPP in Calgary so we probably have to split this into 2 jobs, so... AGM : Walters to give him the experience he needs.  DirPP: Rick Worman, basically because he is Millers choice and you have to give the big boss something.  I'd talk to Roy Shivers as a plan B.  Yah, he's old, but he has a great eye for talent.

I don't have the stomach to go through the growing pains of yet another newbie HC, so that lets Dickenson out for me.  I'd call Doug Berry as plan A.  He got us to the playoffs every year and doesn't use the rebuilding excuse.  I'd call Chris Jones as plan B, but I'd be happy with either.  The HC picks his own staff.

Next thing on the list is to try and sign some of our 22 or is it 24 FA's.  We've got to have some SMS money left so it's time to use it or lose it.  Signing Muamba is job 1 and I'm happy to use a good sized chunk of our SMS room as a bonus, which I won't be able to do after midnight on Dec 31.  I'll also try to get Kohlert, Parenteau, Sorensen, Stewart, Matthews, and Suber to sign in that order.  Signing bonuses get smaller as each guy signs until all this years SMS bonus money is gone.

I'd prepare totally differently than most around here for the Ottawa draft.  I think they will try to fill their starting spots in the first NI round, so they will go with 1 center, 2 guards, 2 receivers, and at least 1 D lineman.  It totally depends on who is available as to what else they can get, but they are only going to get 3 players from us, two of which which will be NI's so the damage won't be too bad.

I'm protecting our starters over our backups, actual players over potential.  I'm not protecting any player who's a Free Agent as I'll have to bid against Ottawa and every other team to re-sign them anyway.  Assuming I can sign Muamba he is our best NI and #1 to be protected.  Watson is our best NI receiver he's #2.  Neufeld and Greaves are signed and expected to start, so they are #3 and #4.  If I can sign Kohlert, he's #5.  If I can sign Sorenson, he's #6 (Yup, I know lots of you hate Sorenson, but he is leaps and bounds better than any other center we have).  Swiston and Pencer are pure futures players.  I doubt Ottawa takes either.  Jade is a future and unsigned.  I can see them taking Labbe, Kito or Cauchy in round one. (I'd protect Labbe, then Cauchy, then Kito if Muamba|Kohlert|Sorenson won't sign).  I have no idea who they will take in round two as we will have protected almost all the guys we want. (Add in Pencer, Swiston, Labbe/Kito, Thomas, C Muamba, Volny, Parenteau)

Imports: January, Jones, Turner, Sears, Wild, Dunn, Washington, Denmark, Stewart and Matthews (If I can sign them)

I'm expecting Ottawa to take one of Calgary's QB's, Hammy to sign and protect Burris, and Montreal to protect Smith.  I do think that Collaros is the best available QB and that we should sign him, but we will have the only uncontested starting QB spot available, which puts us in the drivers seat.  Therefore, I'd give up our 3rd rounder to get his rights before the draft as a plan B, but I wouldn't give up our 2nd overall pick because I don't think we need to.  I'd offer Collaros a Reilly-esc contract or a bit more, because he has more game experience.  I'd look at Willy and Neiswander (I think he'll be available in the off season for very little) to solidify our backup QB spot.

I am definitely looking for upgrades across the board, even for the guys we protect.  I want to see a TC where every position has viable competition and no one gets a free ride.  

I like some of Burgess's ideas and for now will throw out Jacques Chapdelaine as my HC hire. He, like Milanovich have significantly more coaching experience than Dave **** who isn't ready for this mess.

Interesting. Chapdelaine and Dickenson were going to be my finalists. I'll be posting my reasoning tomorrow.