MBB - You be the GM

TrueBlue

I'd be very interested in Dave D. as our new HC.

He shows me he has extended the smarts he had as a QB into the coaching ranks.

Yes, he is offence minded but it's not only his offensive moves, but the obvious smarts he displays in the thinking behind the moves.

He strikes me as a man who learns more and more as time moves on.

And for DD, this may be the perfect time in his career to move on…to Winnipeg.

Or he could move close to home in Edmonton and join a team who has a good qb under contract....

But Brandon, how does that fit into our fan forum plans?

On another note, I am really tired of reading all these comments from people how they want to hire an offensive guy for head coach... I hate that attitude. Should hire the absolute best head coach (because it is different than being a good coordinator) and trust that as a head coach he will hire good people to run the various parts of the team. I mean for **** sakes we had a **** offense with Kelly being an offensive guy and with Lapo being an offensive guy. I want someone who is a head coach first and foremost not trying to be a head coach and an offensive coordinator.

But are you assuming that if we hire an offensive minded head coach that he is going to meddle or be the one calling the plays, just like Lapo and Kelly did?
Kelly was the OC as well as HC.

On another note, I am really tired of reading all these comments from people how they want to hire an offensive guy for head coach... I hate that attitude. Should hire the absolute best head coach (because it is different than being a good coordinator) and trust that as a head coach he will hire good people to run the various parts of the team. I mean for **** sakes we had a **** offense with Kelly being an offensive guy and with Lapo being an offensive guy. I want someone who is a head coach first and foremost not trying to be a head coach and an offensive coordinator.

But are you assuming that if we hire an offensive minded head coach that he is going to meddle or be the one calling the plays, just like Lapo and Kelly did?
Kelly was the OC as well as HC.

True he was.  So it's obvious Kelly could not handle both jobs.

Plenty of good conversation going on here in the last few days, and good on everyone for keeping most of it civil and open for debate.  I was going to post this in a couple of weeks but figured if members want to take the time before putting in their posts, might as well start the challenge now.

Our local writers will often put in a “You be the GM” article asking fans to pick from multiple choice answers to dictate what they would do in the off-season.  This off-season will be a particularly challenging/exciting off-season where a vast multitude of events can happen, and only the well prepared will survive with a good grade.

So I ask those who have the opportunity, to voice your tasks, in order, if you were named the permanent GM of this team tomorrow.  Please detail your plans throughout the time from now until at least after the Canadian draft.  This includes these key events:

-Hiring a head coach

-Transactions before the dispersal draft

-Players protected from the draft

-Transactions after the dispersal draft

-Free agency

-Canadian draft 

If you want to go into signings of rookies/players south of border, including the addition of players to the neg list, by all means.  The more detailed the better.

I only have two rules about this thread:

1) Try to be descriptive about your decisions.  For example, if you want to trade for Collaros prior to the dispersal draft, state who you are trading and why. Try your best to make these trades sound reasonable.

2) Members can discuss/challenge someone’s decisions, but it will be left at that.  This isn’t meant to be a pissing match, or about calling names to people who may not have a difference of opinions.  We’re all encouraged to take part in this. 

So take some time if you need to, or get right at it.  I’m excited to see what everyone thinks.

PS- I of course plan to contribute as well.  I need a few days to gather my thoughts, so expect something from me by the end of the week. 

Many good posts here that really reflects how close some of you follow the Bombers and the intimate knowledge you have about the game and players abilities. Wow. I'm no where near that type of understanding and rely on lot of you on that so I can constantly learn about that side of the game (especially now that I'm an assistant football coach for my nine year old son!). I'm your typical armchair QB that has closely watched the Bombers over time and gets extremely emotional in how they do. However I do think I can offer another layer to this conversation that I believe is equally important to the success of our team. If was GM I would a) rely on people like you, the experts, to help me make decisions on the nuts and bolts of scouting, drafting, protecting, signing etc and B) I would spend my more of time focusing on player, team, coaches, management dynamics to improve our 'culture' going forward. Similar to what Ed Hervey recently said, what types of people does this organization need to be successful for years to come (outside of their needed atleticism and knowledge of X's and O's)? I would develop a comprehensive list of these needed intangibles customized for this organization, the stuff you really can't quantifiablly measure, to help this organization turn around it's recent fortunes (I might get some help from outside expert sources who have no connection to this team to help create this list). Then I would compare this list to what we currently have in place from a player, coach, management, scout, marketing etc level) and begin to fill-in the gaps. I would be sure that I engage the right people at the right times appropriately and strategicically to ensure I'm being inclusive in my approach in this very important exercise to complement what a lot of you have said you'd do if you were GM. My hope is that it isn't Kyle Walters and Wade Miller cooking stuff up on the layer I'm focused on then pushing it out to the rest of the organization to accept. That will not work out well for us in the long term. If anyone in the organization doesn't believe in the importance of this type of focus and thinks it's soft and airy fairy I would ask them to leave the organization. As a GM, I obviously want to build a competitive team that wins sooner than later but I want to equally be part of building a healthy culture that would stay way after I drifted off into the sunset. That would be a great legacy to leave if you gave me the GM chair.       

It's opinions. If people want to hire guys like Dickenson that's okay. I have no problem with that. Who's to say an offensive minded coach isn't the way to go?

It's not about what their background is, it's about whether they'd be a good head coaching candidate or not. I'm not saying don't hire an offensive guy, I'm saying don't hire an offensive guy just because he's an offensive guy, hire someone because they're the best option. 

When you hire a rookie HC with no experience you never know how it's going to go.... That's why I like Tom Higgins. Experienced, won a GC in Edmonton, rebuilt Calgary & has a ton of connections  in the US & Canada.

It's opinions. If people want to hire guys like Dickenson that's okay. I have no problem with that. Who's to say an offensive minded coach isn't the way to go?

It's not about what their background is, it's about whether they'd be a good head coaching candidate or not. I'm not saying don't hire an offensive guy, I'm saying don't hire an offensive guy just because he's an offensive guy, hire someone because they're the best option. 

When you hire a rookie HC with no experience you never know how it's going to go.... That's why I like Tom Higgins. Experienced, won a GC in Edmonton, rebuilt Calgary & has a ton of connections  in the US & Canada.

Yeah, you and I have been beating that drum since July. Sadly, I think the GM position is already locked up. 

It will be Walters as GM with Khari as HC. 

Where are you going to stand for the GC parade next November? 

posting in this thread because i had a random musing which kinda fits here and the more i think about it, the more i think this is coming.

our Outstanding Lineman candidate is going to be a Redblack and Winnipeg's GM (whoever that is) should recognize and act on this.

Toronto has too many good NIs to protect... so maybe we keep Collaros to shield Keeping? whatever comes, i figure that VZ, Eppele and Holmes get protected (along with Durie, Gabriel and Laing) which means that guys like Jeff Keeping, Matt Black and Spencer Watt are exposed.

we might be praying that Ottawa takes ZC

posting in this thread because i had a random musing which kinda fits here and the more i think about it, the more i think this is coming.

our Outstanding Lineman candidate is going to be a Redblack and Winnipeg's GM (whoever that is) should recognize and act on this.

Toronto has too many good NIs to protect... so maybe we keep Collaros to shield Keeping? whatever comes, i figure that VZ, Eppele and Holmes get protected (along with Durie, Gabriel and Laing) which means that guys like Jeff Keeping, Matt Black and Spencer Watt are exposed.

Works the other way too if Redblacks value the non-import talent that the have Argos more than the Collaros. Could draft a QB like Glenn and develop a QB for 2-3 years.

Works the other way too if Redblacks value the non-import talent that the have Argos more than the Collaros. Could draft a QB like Glenn and develop a QB for 2-3 years.

just saying, there's a potential coup here for the GM of a team that needs to improve at O-Line and QB right away.

just saying, there's a potential coup here for the GM of a team that needs to improve at O-Line and QB right away.

Definitely, which is why I think they will target the best O-line talent first. Need to protect the quarterback they draft because in most all likely hood it will be a significant drop off from the starter to the backup.

So if Ottawa is going to 1) draft a QB under contract from Calgary (likely Glen or Tate)); 2) opt to take a non-QB import from Argos so as to maximize NI talent from Argos; and 3) not draft soon to be free agent Collaros, who may simply refuse any offers from Redblacks and await free agency to see how high Bombers will go (all of which makes sense to me), does this mean Walters can play chicken with Barker, and either refuse to give up a first round pick and wait for free agency to snag Collaros, or alternatively hold out for a lower pick like a second or third?

So if Ottawa is going to 1) draft a QB under contract from Calgary (likely Glen or Tate)); 2) opt to take a non-QB import from Argos so as to maximize NI talent from Argos; and 3) not draft soon to be free agent Collaros, who may simply refuse any offers from Redblacks and await free agency to see how high Bombers will go (all of which makes sense to me), does this mean Walters can play chicken with Barker, and either refuse to give up a first round pick and wait for free agency to snag Collaros, or alternatively hold out for a lower pick like a second or third?

I wouldn't be advising Walter's to be taking an approach like this.  We're not exactly in the driver's seat here. If there's something we've set our sights on acquiring, we need to step up to the plate and get it.  We'd be taking a huge risk to let Collaros sit until free agency.  The time to grab him is before the draft.

I wouldn't be advising Walter's to be taking an approach like this.  We're not exactly in the driver's seat here. If there's something we've set our sights on acquiring, we need to step up to the plate and get it.  We'd be taking a huge risk to let Collaros sit until free agency.  The time to grab him is before the draft.

A part of me feels the same way. But on the other hand, who else will really try and acquire him before free agency, other than maybe Ottawa. It does not make sense for the other teams, who already have a number one QB. Montreal may have considered it earlier, but with Troy Smith, I can't see them giving up a high draft pick to Toronto to have a few months to try and sign Collaros. And why would Collaros sign with anyone before hearing all the offers, including ours? I know we've been burnt by the Reilly affair, but really is there anyone, other than possibly Ottawa that is in the same position as us to offer him a clear path to starting, and a large starters salary that is not limited by having to pay big dollars to another QB on the roster? I would hate to lose Collaros, but it irritates me that we may be giving up a high draft pick that could result in a quality starting NI O-lineman, when we likely will be able to sign him if we wait until free agency. And although I like Collaros, how certain are we that he is a definite improvement over someone like Willy? Is the difference between the two worth giving up the second overall pick, especially when giving it up is only going to let you talk to him a few months earlier, and not guarantee that you actually sign him? Is there not a way, short of tampering, that we can make it known to him and his agent, that if he waits until free agency, we will make it worth his while?

It's obvious.

It's a non-starter. (what we have already)

We bloody well need a starting QB and if these guys we have in charge now want to make an impression, they better have a plan in place right now to get one.

By any and all means.

And there must be some player on our team that has Collaros's ph. number, right?

Perhaps an examination of Tate's injury record going back into college might be in order. He has a long and detailed history of injury problems hat have continued into his pro carrier. I might think that Huff would love to parcel him off after the season and get something for a player he will likely risk losing in the expansion draft.

Yeah, you and I have been beating that drum since July. Sadly, I think the GM position is already locked up. 

It will be Walters as GM with Khari as HC. 

Where are you going to stand for the GC parade next November? 

Proven experience. Higgins has done it before everywhere he went. At the very least he'll get the Bomber organization pointed in the right direction like he did in Calgary.

A part of me feels the same way. But on the other hand, who else will really try and acquire him before free agency, other than maybe Ottawa. It does not make sense for the other teams, who already have a number one QB. Montreal may have considered it earlier, but with Troy Smith, I can't see them giving up a high draft pick to Toronto to have a few months to try and sign Collaros. And why would Collaros sign with anyone before hearing all the offers, including ours? I know we've been burnt by the Reilly affair, but really is there anyone, other than possibly Ottawa that is in the same position as us to offer him a clear path to starting, and a large starters salary that is not limited by having to pay big dollars to another QB on the roster? I would hate to lose Collaros, but it irritates me that we may be giving up a high draft pick that could result in a quality starting NI O-lineman, when we likely will be able to sign him if we wait until free agency. And although I like Collaros, how certain are we that he is a definite improvement over someone like Willy? Is the difference between the two worth giving up the second overall pick, especially when giving it up is only going to let you talk to him a few months earlier, and not guarantee that you actually sign him? Is there not a way, short of tampering, that we can make it known to him and his agent, that if he waits until free agency, we will make it worth his while?

I doubt we’d have to give up the 2nd overall pick.  Especially just for the opportunity to enter into negotiations with him.  If we sign him, maybe there’s a conditional pick involved, but to me, that would be worth it.

To be honest, I can’t see Ottawa not taking one of Collaros or Willy if available.  If we want to go after the one we want, we need to do it before the draft.  If not, Ottawa takes the one they want, and then the other is possibly re-signed before free agency.  Don’t think that Toronto and Saskatchewan don’t know the value of a good backup.  If they can get past the dispersal with their backups still on the team, they may find a way to extend them.  We’d be taking a big risk hoping that one (or both) of them make it to free agency, and even then there are no guarantees we get either one.  

Isn't there a freeze on trades leading up to the draft? How can we trade for Collaros if we can't? If I were the Argos, I'd take  our second pick & maybe one starter to get something for Collaros as he will be drafted & they get nothing.

There's a week in there for deals.

Isn't there a freeze on trades leading up to the draft? How can we trade for Collaros if we can't? If I were the Argos, I'd take  our second pick & maybe one starter to get something for Collaros as he will be drafted & they get nothing.

That's when it will happen, if it does at all.

I understand where you're coming from, but it is precisely this kind of thinking that could leave us on the outs. You want it..go and get it I say!

Toronto will want to make a deal then. Or at least they should. If we do swing a trade for Collaros better make sure we're prepared to pay. Whatever it takes.