MBB - You be the GM

TrueBlue

First off, I’m fine with Walters remaining as GM, but I’d give him a 2 year contract, not 3 so that he needs to prove himself and if it doesn’t work out after a year or two, it doesn’t hurt the Bombers financially.  Of course if Barker is available, I’m all over that but I think that is unlikely.  I like Worman in the organization as either head of scouting or offensive coordinator. 

For head coach, these are my top guys, in order:

1. Dave Dickenson
  2. Chris Jones
  3. Khari Jones – when I first heard his name mentioned as a candidate, I wasn’t sure what to think, but I’m now intrigued.  I compare him to someone like Pinball Clemons, a motivator, leader and someone the players want to play for.  I also like the fact that he’s a former CFL QB.  Because of his lack of experience, you’d need to pair him with an experienced OC and DC. 
  4. Jacques Chapdelaine
  5. Marcel Bellefeuille

Biggest offseason moves that need to be made are obviously QB and OL upgrades.  Also need to re-sign Henoc, and rank Kolhert as the number 2 FA Bomber priority to re-sign.  My number 1 target at QB is Zach Collaros and I give up a lot to get him, if needed.  I’m willing to give our first rounder, plus one of our Canadian WRs (Kito) and/or OLs (Swiston) to get him.  Obviously I’d try to get him for less, but we absolutely NEED Collaros.  Bring back Max Hall to compete for backup QB. 

For the offensive line, the weakest spots, I believe are that we need to upgrade one Guard and the Centre position.  I like January/Jones, Greaves and Neufeld.  I target guys who have been brought up like Tsoumpas (FA), Best (trade), Woodruff (trade) and any other OL’s that are upgrades.  I don’t have a list of all CFL FA’s so it’s difficult to list everyone I target.  I’m overpaying for upgrades at OL as in my mind it’s a position almost as important as QB.  An average QB can be made to look great behind a great OL, but a great QB can look like crap behind a bad OL.  But they work in combo, as a good mobile QB can make an average OL look pretty good. 

I’m hearing Andrew Harris might be available and willing to return to Winnipeg so I’d definitely target him as a FA.  With Volny a NI, that could make for a new NI roster spot, allowing us to start an American safety or OL if needed.    

Defensive line is a strength.  I bring back both McAdoo and Griggs and let them fight it out in TC for who starts at Hall’s old position.  Would be nice if Vega and Bilukidi were also in TC for 2014. 

At defensive back, for the post part I think there’s talent there.  A couple upgrades, with an emphasis on taller experienced DB’s is a priority in the offseason.  I’m on the fence with bringing Jovon back; if he agrees to a pay cut I might consider it.  If Ottawa doesn’t take Cauchy, I keep him on the roster as a special teams player and backup as I think he may eventually develop into a staring calibre safety. 

In terms of the expansion draft, here are the 10 imports and 6 non-imports I protect:

QB: Collaros

Imports: Washington, Jones, Anderson, Denmark, Sears, January, Wild, Dunn, Turner, one of Kelly/Woods/Miles as the 10th. 

Non-Imports:  Henoc, Watson, Neufeld, Pencer, Swiston, Greaves

If Kito isn't taken in the expansion draft or traded, I bring him back.  He obviously has talent, and I'd like to see how another coaching staff uses him, which might help to bring out his strengths and help his confidence. 

For the upcoming Canadian CFL draft, if we don’t trade away our second overall pick to get Collaros, I’m targeting Pierre Lavertu.  He’s the top OL prospect that plays Centre, and that is a huge need for the Bombers.  

In terms of cap management, I’m expecting that we will be overpaying Henoc, Collaros and FA OL’s, so to create extra space on the roster, I’m releasing Edwards and replacing him with Miles as the starter.  Cvetkovic is also not asked back and I bring in competition at PK and punter, with a goal of upgrading both positions and not having Renaud or Deangelis back next season.  

Just out of curiosity ... why is nobody else interested in protecting Terrell Parker?

I understand he was hurt and we also have Ian Wild but Parker was a beast.

Big Parker fan here, I guess. I feel like if we could have both on the field in some capacity, that'd be a good thing for our D

Just out of curiosity ... why is nobody else interested in protecting Terrell Parker?

I understand he was hurt and we also have Ian Wild but Parker was a beast.

Big Parker fan here, I guess. I feel like if we could have both on the field in some capacity, that'd be a good thing for our D

I do like him, but didn't protect him because I'm willing to bet lots that Ottawa won't take a guy coming off ACL injury.

Could have a point.

I just think there's some stock in using your "protected" slots to show faith in guys who deserve it. And honestly, I struggled to find 10 imports worth protecting on talent alone.

Thats where a strong GM talks to the player and explains why he is not being protected, even though the organization thinks very highly of him, so that no feeling are hurt.  A simple conversation like that can go a long way, something it appears Mack wasn't very good at. 

-Hiring a head coach

My top 3 candidates for this position would have to be Dave Dickenson, Mike O'Shea, and Richie Hall.  Here is my reasoning.  Dave Dickenson is an obvious choice, as the top up-and-coming coordinator in the CFL.  If anyone can fix our offence, it would be him.  Mike O'Shea seems to be a strong leader, and I like the idea of a special teams coordinator getting the top job because he will be more likely to hire a strong OC and DC and just let them do their job.  He now has 4 years of CFL coaching experience... I think he is ready, if you get the right support for him.  And finally, Richie Hall.  His defences are solid, if unspectacular, every year, and he had a decent run in Edmonton going 16-20... I believe people can learn and improve and that experience will help him.  I think he deserves another shot.

-Transactions before the expansion draft

Just get Collaros or Burris in here.  IMO they are the only two real options.  But if I'M the GM, I'm putting out feelers for Ray, Lulay or Durant.  Maybe it takes a couple first-rounders and a good Canadian player to get one of those guys, but IMO it would be worth it.  We need a great QB here... gotta take that shot if it's available.  

Realistically though, I think it will come down to trading draft picks for Collaros... probably a second rounder and change.  I don't think we will be swapping any players because I'm not sure how interested anyone is in the guys we have.  But if we could use a guy like Stephan, West, Sherman, or Poblah to sweeten the deal, sure, make it happen.

-Players protected from the draft

QB:  Hall

Imports:  January, Denmark, Miles, Turner, Anderson, Wild, Parker, Dunn, Sears, Suber.

I'll put my top 13 non-imports to protect in order.  Likely we will lose one of them so it will only end up with 12 protected.

Non-Imports:  H. Muamba, Watson, Kohlert, Greaves, Neufeld, Pencer, Swiston, Sorensen, Poblah, Volny, Thomas, Labbe, Etienne.

Beyond the expansion draft, I don't know what's going to happen.  My obvious moves would be to get some veteran Canadian OL in here, and hopefully a couple veteran DBs.  If Andrew Harris is truly available, he needs to be a Blue Bomber.  Free agent kickers are tough to come by, but I'd get one in here if possible.  Saskatchewan has got great field position all year by employing an import punter.  Their deep pool of Canadian talent lets them do that, but we should do it too if it will help.

At the draft, I would focus on the OL, DL, and probably look at a couple safeties and linebackers (depending on what happens with Muamba and Labbe).

I was thinking about it this morning and I'd like to add Cortez to the HC list.  He is one of the best offensive minds in the league and his rookie mistake filled HC gig is already behind him.  He's probably a better choice than Jones because we need to fix the offense first and foremost.  (FTR: Cortez is who I wanted when we chose PLAP)

It surprises me how many people want to bring in rookie HC's like Dickenson, Chapdelaine or O'Shea.  It's almost like they haven't been watching the Bombers or Hamilton or Edmonton for the last 5 years.  IMO we will have a rookie CEO in Miller and a rookie GM in Walters.  They need some experienced people around them and that starts at the HC spot.

Mike... I like Parker and would like him to stay with the Bombers, but I doubt Ottawa will pick him due to his injury situation so I didn't see any need to protect him.  I too had a hard time coming up with enough imports to protect on talent alone.

It surprises me how many people want to bring in rookie HC's like Dickenson, Chapdelaine or O'Shea.

I agree with this to some extent, but then you take a look around the league and see guys like Benevides, Milanovich, and Chamblin all having success and they were rookie HC's when they arrived.  Even Hufnagel was a rookie CFL HC, although he had HC experience in the arena league.  But you also make a good point about the GM and CEO being rookies and how adding a rookie HC to the mix could be a bad idea.  However if Walters doesn't end up as GM, and we get a veteran guy like Higgins, then that is not as much of a concern.

I was thinking about it this morning and I'd like to add Cortez to the HC list.  He is one of the best offensive minds in the league and his rookie mistake filled HC gig is already behind him.  He's probably a better choice than Jones because we need to fix the offense first and foremost.  (FTR: Cortez is who I wanted when we chose PLAP)

It surprises me how many people want to bring in rookie HC's like Dickenson, Chapdelaine or O'Shea.  It's almost like they haven't been watching the Bombers or Hamilton or Edmonton for the last 5 years.  IMO we will have a rookie CEO in Miller and a rookie GM in Walters.  They need some experienced people around them and that starts at the HC spot.

Mike... I like Parker and would like him to stay with the Bombers, but I doubt Ottawa will pick him due to his injury situation so I didn't see any need to protect him.  I too had a hard time coming up with enough imports to protect on talent alone.

I would prefer to have experience in the GM seat and take more of a chance on the HC (provided there are experienced coordinators to keep him in check). 

HC needs to be a motivator. Cortez was a huge failure there and completely lost the team in only a season. He's like Burke -- great coordinator, not a great HC. 

That said, I would be all over him for OC, especially if paired with a defensive-minded HC like Chris Jones.

As for Richie Hall, 16-20 when you have Ricky Ray does not make my heart skip a beat. Pass. 

I still really feel like, based on where the franchise is at, we just can't be taking chances on unproven HC/GMs. We need some experience right now to get this thing outta the gutter and back on an even path. Once it's stable again, then we can take chances and promote unprovens...

I don't think Cortez was a huge failure in Hamilton and I don't have any idea if he lost the room.  He fixed the offence in his first season.  I expected him to fix the defense in his second season, had he been given a chance to.  Sure, he made some rookie HC mistakes.  Simply throwing the challenge flag at the right times would have probably netted two more wins.  

I know a lot of folks don't like Cortez because he is a 'my way or the highway' kind of guy.  I am too, so it doesn't bother me.  It's very important for a Head Coach to be a leader, but that's way more than just being a motivator.  The HC has to form the dream then get buy in from all the players or get rid of those who don't buy in.  They also have to provide a plan and put the players in the best position to be successful.   

Benevides had been in BC for a while, had a vet team, had Wally and a seasoned management team behind him.  

Chamblin was surrounded by vet coordinators in Hall and Cortez.  He had an experienced GM and Director of Player personnel above him and a vet team.

Milanovich learned from Trestman and had a vet management team above him.  He is the best example of a guy who was ready to take the next step to HC in the CFL, but getting Ricky Ray certainly made things a lot easier.

I really like Tom Burgess' approach with the exception of Doug Berry. I didn't like how poison the locker room became in Dougs last year. 

Higgins as GM, Worman & Walters in the office and DD as head coach. Get COllaros or WIlly. That's a really solid footing to start off on

Can you elaborate more on the "Get Collaros or Willy"?  You're the first one here to comment on Drew Willy.  Maybe you could explain why you would want Willy, and what you would do to get him here.  You're the GM, make it happen.

Chapdelaine HC

Walters AGM

Worman PP

My franchise QB is Drew Tate and my 2nd overall pick is as high as I go on that deal but really I would break the bank to get him to show him he's wanted.

I could care less about the expansion draft and protecting players with all the free agents on my roster, any combination of those already mentioned is fine.

Finally, I target other teams free agents with an eye for NI oline, dline and receivers, and import receivers, linebackers and db's. Ideally, I want 4 players from free agency, 2 on O and 2 on D all starters.

I really like Tom Burgess' approach with the exception of Doug Berry. I didn't like how poison the locker room became in Dougs last year. 

Higgins as GM, Worman & Walters in the office and DD as head coach. Get COllaros or WIlly. That's a really solid footing to start off on

Can you elaborate more on the "Get Collaros or Willy"?  You're the first one here to comment on Drew Willy.  Maybe you could explain why you would want Willy, and what you would do to get him here.  You're the GM, make it happen.

I thought Willy has shown as much promise as Collaros. Both are still very much "prospects."

He's a Free Agent next year is he not? Call his agent, or better yet call Willy at home.

"Tamper" with him through his friends or get his teammates to do it, as Milt used to do for us. 

A good GM can play within the blurred lines and get what he wants while still respecting the spirit of the cap and tampering. 

proven or not is less concerning to me than whether or not they can actually do the job. Every great coach was unproven at one point, just hire someone with the right qualities. 

You mean guys like: Burke, PLAP, Kelly, Hawkins, Reed, Hall, Marshall, Cortez, Bellefeuille and Taffe?  All guys who were unproven, said to have the right qualities and failed at least in their first season.

If I'm the GM... ;)

Fire Tim Burke ! ASAP

Hire a Head Coach (prior to Ottawa Draft)
- the top candidates (in order of preference):
    1. Tom Higgins  
    2. Dave Dickenson
- the new head coach will decide which of the current coaching staff he wants to go or keep

Bring Collaros (hopefully prior to Ottawa Draft)
- trade for Collaros and open the bank to sign him prior to the Ottawa draft
- for either of these:
    a. 2015 2nd and 2013 2nd OR
    b. 2015 1st and 2013 3rd

Sign Henoc (hopefully prior to Ottawa Draft)
- open the bank to sign him
- sign him as early as possible

Prepare for Ottawa Draft
- protect these players  
    QB: Collaros (if aqcuired prior to the draft) other wise Hall
    10 IMP: January, Jones, Turner, Anderson, McAdoo, Denmark, Wild, Sears
            Matthews (if he's signed otherwise any of Kelly, Woods or Miles)
            Washington (if he's signed otherwise any of any Dunn, Suber or Markett)
    1st 6 NI: H.Muamba, Watson, Greaves, Neufeld, Penser, Kohlert
    2nd 6 NI: sign any 6 of these guys ---> Labbe, Swiston, Parentau, Poblah, Volny, Thomas, Muamba

Sign Pipeline Players (after Ottawa Draft)

- sign these players after the Ottawa Draft

1. Bilukidi

2. Alli

3. Aprile

4. DiCroce

5. Robertson

Plunge Free Agency waters:
- sign: OL Morley, Parentau and Sorensen
        RB Ford, Pontbriand
        R Matthews, Kholert, Foster and Etienne
        DB Stewart, Suber
        DL Gilmore
        LB Muamba, Labbe
- sign FAs from other club, giving importance on these positions
  1. vet NI OL
  2. NI S
  3. NI DL
  4. P/K
  5. IMP vet DB

Dont forget the CFL Draft:
- pick C Lavertu for our #2 overall
- remaining picks doesnt matter as this is a shallow draft

proven or not is less concerning to me than whether or not they can actually do the job. Every great coach was unproven at one point, just hire someone with the right qualities. 

You mean guys like: Burke, PLAP, Kelly, Hawkins, Reed, Hall, Marshall, Cortez, Bellefeuille and Taffe?  All guys who were unproven, said to have the right qualities and failed at least in their first season.

Being said to have the right qualities and actually having them are entirely different things you know. 

Sorry but your argument is terribly flawed. For every failure there is as an unproven head coach, there are success stories like Huffer, Chamblin, Benevides, Trestman, Milanovich, Austin. You're going to have to do better than that. You can also scratch Taffe from that list as his first HC job was in Montreal and he did very good things there. His time in Hamilton was marred by a clueless GM in Marcel Desjardins, and free agent busts like Josh Ranek and Casey Printers, and the failed Jason Maas trade. Also, since you mentioned "first season" in your post, if you're expecting this team to do a complete 180 in a single year, you will be terribly disappointed. It is going to take at least 2 years to make this team good, 3 years to make it elite, assuming the correction decisions are made by all involved.

...Did I just win the internet?

I thought Willy has shown as much promise as Collaros. Both are still very much "prospects."

He's a Free Agent next year is he not? Call his agent, or better yet call Willy at home.

"Tamper" with him through his friends or get his teammates to do it, as Milt used to do for us. 

A good GM can play within the blurred lines and get what he wants while still respecting the spirit of the cap and tampering. 

Don't agree with you often but yes, Willy IMO does have more promise. I also think he is a lot more polished at this stage currently.

One thing I forgot to mention in my GM posting - Another reason for my desire to go for Willy is that as a free agent signee, you save yourself needing to give up picks and possible players. Sure the draft isn't deep as has been said a number of times, but that doesn't mean that there won't be players that come in and perform well above expectations. Our CDN depth is not great, so if we can land an unexpected gem with a pick that we'd have to give away, and get a solid QB in the process, I think that's the route we should take.

Being said to have the right qualities and actually having them are entirely different things you know. 

Of course I understand that.  The point is that we don't know if they have the right stuff until we give them a chance and if we are wrong, we are back to square one and we have to spin the rebuild wheel yet again.  Another point is that all the successful newbie HC's have vet staffs all around them.  We simply don't have the vet staff in place to support a newbie HC to give them the best chance to be successful.

Of course I understand that.  The point is that we don't know if they have the right stuff until we give them a chance and if we are wrong, we are back to square one and we have to spin the rebuild wheel yet again.  Another point is that all the successful newbie HC's have vet staffs all around them.  We simply don't have the vet staff in place to support a newbie HC to give them the best chance to be successful.

And those newbie head coaches pick their assistants - they aren't picked for them.