Random Video Thread

Brandon

16 hours ago, iHeart said:

well this hasn't been posted here yet but this has been on social media like crazy, and it's worth sharing here (hammer to fall was cut out due to copyright)

I had been told that that was the biggest concert of the decade, they got to witness something magical here, but all I have is Live 8 does anyone remember that?

I was a bit young to appreciate it but I remember it being HUGE and all anyone talked about for awhile.

It was very newsworthy for the performances, controversies etc.  Lots of acts chose not to appear and were criticized.  There were rampant rumors of a Beatles reunion (sans Lennon ofcourse) but it didnt happen.  Queen's performance is probably the most iconic.

According the Wikipedia, about 40% of the world's population watched the concerts.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I was a bit young to appreciate it but I remember it being HUGE and all anyone talked about for awhile.

It was very newsworthy for the performances, controversies etc.  Lots of acts chose not to appear and were criticized.  There were rampant rumors of a Beatles reunion (sans Lennon ofcourse) but it didnt happen.  Queen's performance is probably the most iconic.

According the Wikipedia, about 40% of the world's population watched the concerts.

It was a huge event. 

It was also particularly poignant performance because Freddie was born in Africa and grew up there and in India. 

From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Aid

Live Aid was a dual-venue benefit concert held on Saturday 13 July 1985, and an ongoing music-based fundraising initiative. The original event was organised by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise funds for relief of the ongoing Ethiopian famine. Billed as the "global jukebox", the event was held simultaneously at Wembley Stadium in London, England, United Kingdom (attended by 72,000 people) and John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (attended by about 100,000 people).

On the same day, concerts inspired by the initiative happened in other countries, such as the Soviet Union, Canada, Japan, Yugoslavia, Austria, Australia and West Germany. It was one of the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcasts of all time; an estimated audience of 1.9 billion, across 150 nations, watched the live broadcast, nearly 40% of the world population.

Edited by JCon

My personal tie-in:  I was too young to really remember Live Aid but in 2005 I drove down to Barrie Ontario to go the the Live 8 concert (20th anniversary of Live Aid). I don't think it ended up being nearly as huge as the original (the London Bombings happened the next day so that took away most of the media coverage) but there was still some cool stuff to see live (or on screen via satelite) in that atmosphere.  Easily the most memorable concert I've ever been to.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Live Aid was a dual-venue benefit concert held on Saturday 13 July 1985, and an ongoing music-based fundraising initiative. The original event was organised by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise funds for relief of the ongoing Ethiopian famine. Billed as the "global jukebox", the event was held simultaneously at Wembley Stadium in London, England, United Kingdom (attended by 72,000 people) and John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (attended by about 100,000 people).

Bonus Trivia - Elton performed at both

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...