Final weekend...meaningless...

Mark H.

He is my thoughts on Denmark this year - He either didn't fully understand, or buy into whatever offensive system Crowton started us with.

It showed, and perhaps that lack of understanding/buy-in hurt him more than just not performing well within the system (he didn't get what he was really supposed to be doing / didn't think it made sense and that resulted in not going at 100% of his full effort)

Once we got MB as our OC Denmark made a pretty marked turn around in his play.

I doubt it is coaching affecting Denmark as much as I think it is having a system he understands and believes will work.

The resurgence in the play of Denmark can be attributed to tutoring by Marcel B.

Burke gave MB credit for aiding Denmark overcome the nuances of the Canadian game and this offence.

This is only a small sample to show that proper coaching can make a difference, and makes me wonder what are our position coaches doing if not helping the progress of our players. (See O-Line and DBs)

if not for the last couple weeks Denmark was the prime example of a guy who was destroyed by these coaches. Remember how in his rookie year he was seen as the next best rookie behind Chris Williams? And how this year everyone was ready to cut the guy cause he just wasn't getting it done? 

That argument seems better suited to show the bipolar nature of posters on a fan forum.

A coach who insists he has nothing to do with the offence, cannot be given credit for offensive players improving.

Jade.... improved because he got to play.

Hall...  improved because he got to play.

Denmark...  had been a constant.  Maybe he improved later in the season because they stopped randomly picking a QB out of the hat and finally stuck with someone.  Built some chemistry, stayed healthy, maybe that is what we see.

Muamba... maybe improved due to Burke.  I would put it more on it being a FA year.

If you want to give Burke credit for those players improving, then we need to address other things too.  OLine sucks?  Because of Burke.  Kicking is Bad?  Burke's Fault.  QB carousel?  Inept Offence?  Swirling Winds in the stadium?  Beer Prices?  All Burke's Fault.

/mic drop

if not for the last couple weeks Denmark was the prime example of a guy who was destroyed by these coaches. Remember how in his rookie year he was seen as the next best rookie behind Chris Williams? And how this year everyone was ready to cut the guy cause he just wasn't getting it done? 

He is my thoughts on Denmark this year - He either didn't fully understand, or buy into whatever offensive system Crowton started us with.

It showed, and perhaps that lack of understanding/buy-in hurt him more than just not performing well within the system (he didn't get what he was really supposed to be doing / didn't think it made sense and that resulted in not going at 100% of his full effort)

Once we got MB as our OC Denmark made a pretty marked turn around in his play.

I doubt it is coaching affecting Denmark as much as I think it is having a system he understands and believes will work.

so systems aren't part of coaching? 

It's obviously a combination of things for our disaterous season. Appropriate blame can be evenly distributed among the many levels of the organization, top to bottom, bottom to top for different reasons but ultimately sharing the same outcome. But to have some fun, simply moving Calgary's entire management/coaching staff over to us, I still don't know if that would have got us into this year's post season with our existing starting and practice roster.

I think it absolutely would have had this team into the post season. Not like the other eastern teams have been world beaters. Look at the improvements this offense has made with swapping offensive coordinators, and it's not like Bellefeuile is a great OC or anything. Put a good coaching staff like Calgary has on this team from day 1 and I have no doubts there are a playoff team because good coaches make players better and bad coaches make players look worse than they are. 

Denmark improved as the year progressed.

Max Hall improved as the year progressed.

Muamba.

Jade.

This team is not a total loss.

No but Burke is. An absolute total loss. He has cracked my Top 3 All Time Worst Blue Bombers Head Coaches of all time. He joins the smelly company of Joe Zaleski & Jeff Reinbold. Joe Zaleski was futile. Reinbold was clueless & Burke is lost. Absolutely lost but he loves to play the Blame Game to a tee. Never his fault. Screw Burke. The quicker he gets fired the better.

It's obviously a combination of things for our disaterous season. Appropriate blame can be evenly distributed among the many levels of the organization, top to bottom, bottom to top for different reasons but ultimately sharing the same outcome. But to have some fun, simply moving Calgary's entire management/coaching staff over to us, I still don't know if that would have got us into this year's post season with our existing starting and practice roster.

I think it absolutely would have had this team into the post season. Not like the other eastern teams have been world beaters. Look at the improvements this offense has made with swapping offensive coordinators, and it's not like Bellefeuile is a great OC or anything. Put a good coaching staff like Calgary has on this team from day 1 and I have no doubts there are a playoff team because good coaches make players better and bad coaches make players look worse than they are. 

With Calgary's staff, Goltz & Hall would have been coached up. Not left to hung out to dry.

With Calgary's staff, Goltz & Hall would have been coached up. Not left to hung out to dry.

You think Calgary would have found a way to coach Goltz into any kind of successful? The guy is Russell Wilson without any remote semblance of accuracy...

Isn't Goltz like 6'5 and fast while Russell Wilson is like 5'10 average speed but strong arm?

You think Calgary would have found a way to coach Goltz into any kind of successful?  The guy is Russell Wilson without any remote semblance of accuracy...

Really? I likened him more to Doug Flutie with some height but no arm.

... what a weird comparison

You think Calgary would have found a way to coach Goltz into any kind of successful?  The guy is Russell Wilson without any remote semblance of accuracy...

Really? I likened him more to Doug Flutie with some height but no arm.

... what a weird comparison

His best qualities are that he is fast and can escape pocket pressure... that is where I was going with the comparison. 

I guess my comparison loses traction when you take into account that Goltz is much taller, can't hit the broad side of a barn, and that he has no leadership abilities. 

Yup, good point, agree completely but still not sure if it would have put us over the top (i.e., enough to make the playoffs) with the group we assembled this year . . .

I'm no Goltz fan but he would have been handled a lot differently. Under Dickenson & Hufnagel, his tie & cuff links celebration would never have flown. He would have understood systems better. With Dickenson there, his throwing mechanics would have been worked on. In short, he'd have been coached up. Would he be a success? Don't know but he would have had a better chance of being so.

Yup, good point, agree completely but still not sure if it would have put us over the top (i.e., enough to make the playoffs) with the group we assembled this year . . .

with as bad as the east was this year sure it woulda been. right now they're 4 wins back of Montreal, well win the Edmonton game, the opener against montreal and one of the Hamilton games and all of a sudden you're looking at a playoff position. 

Just compare Lapo and Burke... Lapo lost a ton of close games Burke lost a lot of blow outs, that should be all you need to know to see the Burke is the biggest problem. Drastic decline in the team going from one to the other.

"If you were wondering what it would be like if Tim Tebow came to the CFL, Goltz is doing a hell of an impression right now."

- Doug Brown (@DougBrown97) https://twitter.com/DougBrown97/statuses/376838158823866368

You think Calgary would have found a way to coach Goltz into any kind of successful? The guy is Russell Wilson without any remote semblance of accuracy...

"If you were wondering what it would be like if Tim Tebow came to the CFL, Goltz is doing a hell of an impression right now."

- Doug Brown (@DougBrown97) https://twitter.com/DougBrown97/statuses/376838158823866368

I'm not going to lie... I rarely take anything Doug Brown says as relative or factual. The guy is a huge **** disturber that lives to stir the pot. He's a fantastic troll.

Doug Brown knows more about football than you could ever hope to understand. He is sometimes harsh and doesn't shy away from making his point, but rarely is he off the mark in his comments.

Absolutely right. The guy played over a decade in the CFL. He knows his ****. Does he like to throw things around to get people riled up, yeah. I don't always like what he says but I respect him. That's probably what CJOB hired him to do. Get an insiders opinion with a bit of an attitude.