Max Hall

gbill2004

I am starting to become very impressed with Max Hall.  Every game he seems to get better.  Hall is the QB of record for the Bombers 2 best offensive games this season.  He is a smart QB, he has a quick release, good accuracy, he is tough, and has decent arm strength.  Appears to have good leadership skills too.  His cons are that he seems to get hurt a bit, but an improved OL would definetely help fix that and his mobility isn't great.  He still makes some mistakes, but every game he makes fewer of them.  Some have questioned his arm strength, and while it's not great, I really thinks its a non issue, his arm strength is fine for the CFL. 

Teams are starting to gather film on him, but he just keeps getting better, he is figuring out the CFL game at a good pace.  It took Mike Reilly a good half a season to start putting up numbers, and Reilly had 2 seasons as a backup; something Hall did not have.  Max Hall is starting to 'get it' at a very good pace. 

Worst case scenario, I'd be okay with him as our starting QB next season.  I'm excited that it'll likely be him and a young guy like Collaros around to battle for the starting gig.  Things are starting to look up for the Bombers.   

Sure Hall has improved with time but I wouldn't be comfortable just yet with him starting games for us next year. He has very little mobility, in or out of the pocket and the arm strength is a concern as well. He's doing a better job of reading the field and he's definitely not afraid of taking chances. He should be here competing next season but based on what I've seen so far, the QB situation still needs to be resolved through some acquisitions.

Hall has as much upside as any QB we have had since Glenn left us ... the next couple games will be revealing ... if he can keep passing for over 300 yards in the next two games  then maybe we don't have to spend our number one draft pick to acquire Drew Tate before the expansion draft

Hall of the last two games is leagues ahead of Hall to start.. he is learning how to run a cfl offense and to read defenses.. he has progressed nicely and wouldnt be overly concerned if he won #1 spot out of camp or ended up #2 behind whomever (if any) FA QB we sign..

Considering how poor this team is, Hall's development is rather extraordinary.

I also wouldn't say he gets hurt a lot. He was getting killed yesterday. Several hands to the head that were never called by officials. A better o line that provides an extra couple of seconds of time for Hall and he'd be even better.

He's pretty impressive actually.

I like Hall but it's horrifying to see how much punishment he's taking.  Why is he taking so many shots? 

It seems like our schemes weld him into the pocket, he doesn't roll, he doesn't change the launch point and buy an extra second, he just stands there, delivers the ball and then gets smoked.

I'm going to rewatch the game and count how many times he was facing extra heat, how many times our OL got beat one-on-one, etc.

Hall has as much upside as any QB we have had since Glenn left us ... the next couple games will be revealing ... if he can keep passing for over 300 yards in the next two games  then maybe we don't have to spend our number one draft pick to acquire Drew Tate before the expansion draft

No, we need to get a proven qb like Tate. Or one with a big upside like Collaros. If guys like Collaros or Tate are available the Bombers have to pursue them. That being said, I like Hall a lot & he'll provide really good competition at the qb position next year.

Yeah, Chris Jones likes to get tricksy with his goons ... but I want to see what the Bombers were doing to try to counter that in their protection schemes ... or if they were always just depending on Hall to get the ball away before the pass rush got home.

the answer is far more simpler.. it's just that our o-line sucks.. every QB behind centre has been under siege all season..

So every QB constantly throws up big time under throws and prays their player will come back to the ball?

every qb that's worth a damn will throw a ball up and trust the receiver to out play the defensive back. Every single one of them. Why would you not? That's why you want the athletic receivers, so that they can win those battles. 

No, we need to get a proven qb like Tate. Or one with a big upside like Collaros. If guys like Collaros or Tate are available the Bombers have to pursue them. That being said, I like Hall a lot & he'll provide really good competition at the qb position next year.

Why all the love for Tate?  He makes Buck Pierce look indestructible!  Tate has never thrown more than 158 passes in a year.  That's like 3 games for Ricky Ray or Calvillo.

At least we'd be able to get more sponsorship... Johnson & Johnson Bandaids, Advil, etc.