Max Hall

gbill2004

Well, if they blitz 7 they are going to get pressure.  That also gave Hall a chance to complete a pass to someone wide-open, because he has trouble fitting the ball in against man or match zone coverages.

The Argos blitzed 7 men only three times during the whole game.  They were rushing 5 or 6 about half the time, but we were protecting with 6 the majority of the time, so it was rare that the Argos brought more men than we had in protection.

Hall was completing passes at about the same rate regardless of how many Argos were rushing him.

Well, if they blitz 7 they are going to get pressure.  That also gave Hall a chance to complete a pass to someone wide-open, because he has trouble fitting the ball in against man or match zone coverages.

The Argos blitzed 7 men only three times during the whole game.  They were rushing 5 or 6 about half the time, but we were protecting with 6 the majority of the time, so it was rare that the Argos brought more men than we had in protection.

Hall was completing passes at about the same rate regardless of how many Argos were rushing him.

Completing 6 yard passes against aggressive coverage and 20 yard passes against the blitz...at the same rate.

After watching the game tonight... I'd be perfectly fine with Max Hall being a back up for the team but nothing more.   The guy simply can't make plays on the run at all.   It's frustrating seeing him slowly hobble out of the pocket and either get creamed or float a ball to the general area of the receiver and hope that it doesn't get picked off.  

Nice guy, a warrior,  has the football smarts... but yikes unless he has max protection and time to plant his foot.... he can't make plays.   His deep balls are also Dinwiddie-ish wobblers that just won't fly in games that have any sort of wind....

After watching the game tonight... I'd be perfectly fine with Max Hall being a back up for the team but nothing more.   The guy simply can't make plays on the run at all.   It's frustrating seeing him slowly hobble out of the pocket and either get creamed or float a ball to the general area of the receiver and hope that it doesn't get picked off.  

Nice guy, a warrior,  has the football smarts... but yikes unless he has max protection and time to plant his foot.... he can't make plays.   His deep balls are also Dinwiddie-ish wobblers that just won't fly in games that have any sort of wind....

His throwing mechanics are almost identical to Dinwiddie.  There is nothing wrong with any part of his release in his upper body, but he almost never settles his feet before he throws, which makes the ball sail.

His throwing mechanics are almost identical to Dinwiddie.  There is nothing wrong with any part of his release in his upper body, but he almost never settles his feet before he throws, which makes the ball sail.

Yes, and he is often overthrowing on the long bombs .... can a QB coach get that corrected or is it to imbedded to change?

Yes, and he is often overthrowing on the long bombs .... can a QB coach get that corrected or is it to imbedded to change?

I've noticed that Max has a tendency to throw off his back foot at times which will take a lot of velocity off the football & may account for his problems on his deep balls not getting there. On intermediate passes his footballs will sail as well if he isn't set or when he again throws off his back foot. I put that down to him not trusting his OL (with good reason) that they'll give him the time to do his reads & throws. I think if Max played behind a solid line he'd be more relaxed with his throwing & his mechanics would be a lot better. He's probably worried he'll get killed on any given play & therefore has to get rid of the football fast. So, a better OL that he can trust will probably remedy most of the tings we discuss here about the way Max Hall throws.

On CJOB, they were talking about the qb position on the post game show last night. Bob is no Goltz fan & couldn't understand why fans want to see him play again. Jim Toth & Doug Brown were saying that the fans want Goltz to play if Hall can't go because no one will want to see Boltus play as he's terrible. Basically, they feel the Bombers can't win with Boltus which is pretty obvious. Toth talked about the reason Goltz isn't even doing short yardage plays anymore. That his attitude was terrible & was being punished. Toth said he was pouty & would turn & walk away from coaches when they spoke to him & that he refused to put it on the line in Edmonton. Brown said that winning should usurp personality conflicts & that if Goltz gives the Bombers the best chance to win then he should play. Brown also said that if Burke thinks he's going down he shouldn't take players like Goltz with him. Brown also said as far as bad attitude goes, is Goltz any worse than Casey Creehan who screams, yells & generally loses his mind on the sidelines every game? Bob said he'd like to see Levi Brown play & the other 2 agreed.

On CJOB, they were talking about the qb position on the post game show last night. Bob is no Goltz fan & couldn't understand why fans want to see him play again. Jim Toth & Doug Brown were saying that the fans want Goltz to play if Hall can't go because no one will want to see Boltus play as he's terrible. Basically, they feel the Bombers can't win with Boltus which is pretty obvious. Toth talked about the reason Goltz isn't even doing short yardage plays anymore. That his attitude was terrible & was being punished. Toth said he was pouty & would turn & walk away from coaches when they spoke to him & that he refused to put it on the line in Edmonton. Brown said that winning should usurp personality conflicts & that if Goltz gives the Bombers the best chance to win then he should play. Brown also said that if Burke thinks he's going down he shouldn't take players like Goltz with him. Brown also said as far as bad attitude goes, is Goltz any worse than Casey Creehan who screams, yells & generally loses his mind on the sidelines every game? Bob said he'd like to see Levi Brown play & the other 2 agreed.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Boltus is terrible and if Goltz is in the doghouse so much that the coaches refuse to use him at what he's good at (redzone, short yardage) and opt for a guy who can barely get any kind of forward progress in short yardage and is a worse qb then why the hell didn't they just release Goltz? Why keep the guy around if you have absolutely 0 faith in him? The way Burke buries people he doesn't like is absolutely disgusting. Cares more about holding grudges than putting the best people on the field. 

We used to have the best red zone efficiency and now it's hit or miss. Our game plans could have had Hall get us to the red zone and then have Goltz take us in.

This is the practice we used to employ, with great TD success, but Burke has abandoned common sense for a common grudge.

And obviously, Boltus cannot run the short yardage. It happens. Some QBs just can't. Think K Glenn.

But Burke's refusal to use Goltz is going to be part of his downfall.

It just doesn't make sense.

This line should take the steam out of the "poor Goltz" thread this is turning in to. A shitty attitude can be put up with if you're good. Young Mr. Goltz hasn't done anything to earn that label yet. If he's not going to listen to me I wouldn't put him on the field either. I would have cut him rather than wasting a roster spot on him though.

I agree that if Hall can't go I'd put in Brown. They can't honestly believe Boltus is any good, and they don't like Goltz, so why not? He's been in the league for a few years so it's not like he's a raw rookie being thrown out there.

We used to have the best red zone efficiency and now it's hit or miss. Our game plans could have had Hall get us to the red zone and then have Goltz take us in.

This is the practice we used to employ, with great TD success, but Burke has abandoned common sense for a common grudge.

And obviously, Boltus cannot run the short yardage. It happens. Some QBs just can't. Think K Glenn.

Glenn is actually one of the best QB's at sneaking, he just doesn't do it because no starters do.

Boltus starts way too high, I can't believe any of our coaches haven't helped him correct his technique or get him out of there.  His pad level needs to be about the same as his OL then just ride up the back of the surge.  Boltus is almost standing straight up.  Goltz isn't very good at sneaking either, but he's at least athletic enough that he improved over his time doing it and he could get a yard.  The Goltz wildcat set was wildly successful, hard to believe in pro football that it could be torn out of the playbook by spite and a bromance between Bellefeuille and Boltus.

This line should take the steam out of the "poor Goltz" thread this is turning in to. A shitty attitude can be put up with if you're good. Young Mr. Goltz hasn't done anything to earn that label yet. If he's not going to listen to me I wouldn't put him on the field either. I would have cut him rather than wasting a roster spot on him though.

I agree that if Hall can't go I'd put in Brown. They can't honestly believe Boltus is any good, and they don't like Goltz, so why not? He's been in the league for a few years so it's not like he's a raw rookie being thrown out there.

Toth was talking about one specific game when Goltz was pulled.  If that is the standard of good guy-bad guy, then Buck must be the biggest jerk on earth.  His pouting whenever he got pulled or wasn't starting (prior to this season) was ridiculous, almost at the level of how Westwood treated other kickers on the team.

Glenn is actually one of the best QB's at sneaking, he just doesn't do it because no starters do.

Not when he first started with us. Only after, did he get marginally better. And yes he's a 'starter' now, but I still wouldn't have him go first in my rotation of sneakers.

Not when he first started with us. Only after, did he get marginally better. And yes he's a 'starter' now, but I still wouldn't have him go first in my rotation of sneakers.

He could be worse at it now, we'd never know.  Never had any issues with it here, he's short to begin with and knew how to just slide behind centre and guard.  It's hardly an athletic play, as long as you can bend your hips and knees.