Burke's Lost His Mind

BlueBall

This is a crazy situation. You know yourself that every football executive has a different vision for how a team should be built. What Walters & Miller might think is a good move, the other guy coming in may not like the things that were done because he didn't do them. If they remove the interim & make both of them absolutely 100% responsible for the makeover of this team, then fine. But if not, then leave their mitts off of it until everyone knows where they stand. Wade... not Wayne... already says he's got other businesses to run that he can go back to if things don't work out. So, how do I interpret that?  Is this the job he really wants?? Can he give 100% & more to the team & the fanbase to turn things around? Do we want a President who while, may be a "football guy", may not be 100% totally focused on rebuilding this team because his other business interests take up his time? When someone takes a job like this upon himself & thinks it's a part time gig & he thinks he can juggle his other interests along with it, it kinda makes me nervous.

This team has to start making some huge choices soon. The fanbase is pissed off yet Miller seemed to barely acknowledge that in the interview. I just hope the situation we are in now at the management level turns out to be the right one.

Make both of them 100% absolutely responsible? How? There's no such thing. Mack was "absolutely 100% responsible" and his vision was different than that of the next guy. What good did that do? Walters is also "100% absolutely responsible" ... in the interim. It's almost as if you think he's going to treat this like his fantasy team on steroids or something. It's still serious work for him, he's auditioning for a full time CFL gig. The same way every CFL GM is auditioning for a full time NFL gig, if you really think about it. There's absolutely no way Walters is just going to goof around while he's the interim GM, he deserves the power to make the decisions he needs to make.

As for your comments re: Miller, I think you went way off in the wrong direction regarding context. What you're implying is not what he meant at all. What he meant was that obviously this is important to him. He was saying he could be off filling easier roles for more gratification and instead, he's here because he cares and wants to do this the right way.

But if there's a chance the interim GM won't be there then he doesn't have any business making deals because a bad deal can handcuff another GM. It's a Catch 22. So, make them permanent. Not a good situation the longer it goes on. All they truly are, are caretakers. That's all interim should be.

Makes no sense.

There is no such thing as a "permanent" position. You have to let them make moves. To suggest otherwise is foolish.

And then they move on & others are left to pick up the pieces. That's what I don't like. That is what is scary to me here.

You mean they move on just like the "permanent GM" Taman did? Or how about the "permanent GM" Kelly? Maybe the "permanent GM" Mack?

No GM is permanent and every time one leaves, another one is left to pick up the pieces and build the team with their own vision.

The only thing that is implied by the title of "interim" is that Walters may have a shorter stay than the others.

Wally was the "permanent" GM in Calgary for 13 years. He's also been the permanent GM in BC since the end of 2003. Look at Jim Popp in Montreal & how long he's had that position. You say GMs aren't permanent? Permanence depends upon performance. It's already been discussed how Mack has handcuffed the Bombers & Tim Burke with the things he did. Even though Burke is a terrible head coach maybe had Mack brought in Kevin Glenn & some other players things would have been different this season. 

The other thing is just because Wade Miller says Walters will be here long term doesn't mean he will be. A new President & GM will mean a change in direction. The new GM may decide he can't work with Walters & decides  to let him go. You have to believe that the new President whoever he is would back  his GM on that one entirely. Lots of things can happen with new people  in here.

Walters is safe IF Miller is retained. The direction that Miller & Walters are taking this team may only be if they are permanent. Other people may do things differently. Then we stop dead in the water & change directions again. Twice within 6 months. Is that good? I don't know. The longer this goes on, the more I think there'll be no exhaustive search for either position so stop with the charade & make these guys permanent.

Wade has an ego as big as his wasteland. Don't kid yourself this is his dream come true, his toy to break and he can thank his boyfriends on the BoD for the opportunity. The pinball wizards that manufactured this last go round. If it is still broke who fixes it? Same s.... Different pile and no shovel.

I'd be more afraid of a GM knowing he's got to win now or be fired doing long term damage than a guy angling to remove the temporary label. Guy in Walters position is more likely to play it safe than take big risks until he is confirmed as being the one in charge. A guy knowing he might be fired though might try and kind of desperation move to save his hide. 

I'd be more afraid of a GM knowing he's got to win now or be fired doing long term damage than a guy angling to remove the temporary label. Guy in Walters position is more likely to play it safe than take big risks until he is confirmed as being the one in charge. A guy knowing he might be fired though might try and kind of desperation move to save his hide. 

Might, yes. Certainly desperation, I agree, But I can see it in both scenarios.