Burke's Lost His Mind

BlueBall

The article to read at this time is the Paul Wiecek interview with Wade Miller (also known as Wayne, right iso?)

It's actual a decent interview where Miller only sidesteps one question (the financials)

Notable quotations : 

"I'm fine with the title of acting. You know I have other business opportunities I could be doing. I chose to come take this on to help this franchise and be a part of turning this around. My most important thing is making that happen and sustaining it so we're developing something that isn't just for next year or the year after but is something that's here for 10 or 15 years."

"My concern right now is doing what we need to do in the next month to six weeks because there's a lot that's going to happen unlike any other year."

"There's going to be a lot of change, a lot of players moving to different teams. And it's an opportunity for us to take advantage of that. And we're very focused on that and have a very good plan of what we want to do."

WIECEK: So Kyle doesn't have the GM job yet?

MILLER: "No, but Kyle is going to be an integral part of this organization no matter what. And stability is part of what we need to create here -- that people know they're going to be a part of this football team and this community. And Kyle is both of those things.

This makes me think Burke won't be back. Through the whole interview Miller doesn't hesitate to back the person he is being asked about. But not Burke.

WIECEK: You've said you're going to make a lot of changes this off-season. Will Tim Burke get a chance to lead that new and improved team next year?

MILLER: Everything is going to be reviewed. Coaches, players, the way we have everything structured -- it will all be reviewed.

To those thinking Burke could have tackled the question of his staying better,

WIECEK: So when do you find out if you've got the job?

MILLER: My concern right now is doing what we need to do in the next month to six weeks because there's a lot that's going to happen unlike any other year.

That's how he should have answered it.

I think I like this Miller guy.

I can certainly appreciate what Burke is trying to say, and that he's giving his opinion on what needs to be done for this team to be successful.  I can't say that I agree with very much of it, and would argue a lot of his points.  In the end, it's a very hard sell anyways.  His speech was weak and unconvincing.  Much like his tenure as a head coach.

MILLER: My concern right now is doing what we need to do in the next month to six weeks because there's a lot that's going to happen unlike any other year.

The way Miller talks makes me think that there is absolutely no way we will not acquire a QB in the period in between Grey Cup and the expansion draft.

Why should Miller be the guy to decide what QB to acquire.....he better not be. That's what you have a GM in concert with a HC decide. They should worry about what questions they want to ask interviewing a GM and stop thinking you r the GM.

There is a time factor. 

A very important time factor.

Why should Miller be the guy to decide what QB to acquire.....he better not be. That's what you have a GM in concert with a HC decide. They should worry about what questions they want to ask interviewing a GM and stop thinking you r the GM.

Who says he will be the guy to decide?  He says there's a plan, and that's all you need to know.  Plus, who says we even have a head coach when a signing is made?

Three other teams will be looking for head coaches after the season. We can't just sit back & say we'll be doing our evaluation of the team once the season starts. I'm sure Miller & Walters already know what needs to be done. Hopefully decisions will be made quickly after the season ends as to what direction we're going in.

The people at the top though are the ones that should be saying that because that's basically their job. The coach though, his job is to get the most out of what he is given to work with and Burke has not come close to doing that. Which players are having a career year on this team? Which players are meeting or exceeding expectations? 

You're confusing what Burke's duties and responsibilities as a head coach are when he's on the field with what Burke's duties and responsibilities as a head coach are when he's in front of a microphone. He has absolutely not lived up to on-field expectations; the record speaks for itself. But he is absolutely supposed to stay on message and consistent with what the two management levels above him are saying. And Burke did not say anything in this interview that hasn't already been said by Walters and Miller.

There's personnel deficiencies - no one, not even members of the team, would suggest otherwise. Again, which players, or groups of players, or position, is he throwing under the bus? Or is this one of those if you hate Burke he's "throwing players under the bus" but if you like Burke "he's just telling it like it is" scenarios?

Scouting is an organizational process, not a sole GM one. I took this quote as more of a criticism of the organization than of the previous GM. The fact that we have one US scout falls on the Bombers, not on Mack.

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just suggesting when you take what he said directly, without what the beat writers frame around his quote, he isn't exactly "losing his mind" as the thread title suggests.

The problem is that he shouldn't be saying any of this.  What kind of coach makes these kinds of excuses?  Even if it's true, it is unprofessional and it does have an effect on the team as well.  Can you imagine Marc Trestman or Corey Chamblin making the excuse that they didn't have enough talent to work with?  No chance, because they are smart and understand that the responsibility ultimately falls on them.  Burke is passing the buck to the organization, the GM, and the players, but never has a damn thing to say about what he did wrong himself.

I agree with a lot of this. But this appears to be the stance the entire organization has taken. Both Walters and Miller have said the exact same things Burke has. All top organizations in all sports have one thing in common: from the owner to management to coaching, all three levels have the same vision and share the same plan on how to get there. The thing is that the Bombers vision and plan appear to be, "things were horrible before, but we're fixing them. Here's how." Unfortunately, things are still horrible at the moment.

And you're point is?? It's ok for Miller and Walters to say that...it's their job to convince the paying public what they're doing to fix an obviously bad team in certain areas. It's not Burke's job to regurgitate what he has heard them saying, it's his job to keep the players motivated and ready to play no matter what!

I think it's also pathetic that he never seems to have a clue which of his players are coming back from injury and which aren't. He always has to ask someone else. If I was HC I would want to know that every morning before I had to go to a press conference. It's called being prepared!

It's absolutely his job to get players motivated and ready to play. And he's failed at that. And I don't think he should be the head coach next year.

But when Burke (or any head coach) is asked a question, it is absolutely his job to stay on message. The alternative is to go cowboy and completely contradict what the management is saying, which would be worse.

This franchise, unfortunately, is in full-on damage control mode for the rest of 2013. They have, from top to bottom, have sent the message to their fans base: We are bad right now. We know this. And we are doing everything in our power to fix it.If you're the head coach of a 2-12 (Is it 12? I don't even know anymore. Sadly, I've checked out this year too) team and you're desperately trying to hang on to your job, now would be the absolute worst time to contradict what your bosses are saying.

He's not right, and he'll be fired. But I can't blame him for how he handled that interview.

From the exact same interview:

WIECEK: One of the tools available to the CEO of a struggling sports franchise to effect change is to fire the head coach. You've kept Tim Burke on despite his team's 2-12 record this season. Why?
MILLER: Because he's doing everything he can to turn it around with what he's been given.

WIECEK: One of the tools available to the CEO of a struggling sports franchise to effect change is to fire the head coach. You've kept Tim Burke on despite his team's 2-12 record this season. Why?
MILLER: Because he's doing everything he can to turn it around with what he's been given.

I just assumed Miller meant with what God gave him, i.e. a poor set of coaching tools.

I just assumed Miller meant with what God gave him, i.e. a poor set of coaching tools.

I get you're being tongue-in-cheek, and Burke shouldn't be our head coach in 2014, but his CV from 2008-2011 would suggest God provided him with a pretty decent tool kit. 

I have a problem with interim people making long term decisions for this team. I strongly believe they shouldn't be making personnel decisions that others may not agree with if Miller & Walters aren't in these positions themselves. Just a strange way to do business. The Bomber business model is broken. Make these guys the President & GM permanently or tell them hands off until the people they hire step in. Be caretakers only if they are interim.

C'mon iso, let this one go. 

This is a different situation than many and whereby sometimes your scenario may play out, these guys are on the same page and aren't going to marry off someone's daughter without permission.

What are you worried about? That they'll trade Etienne for Jabori Arthur or something?

They don't have to be permanent to be effective, but if they're effective they may become permanent.

This is a crazy situation. You know yourself that every football executive has a different vision for how a team should be built. What Walters & Miller might think is a good move, the other guy coming in may not like the things that were done because he didn't do them. If they remove the interim & make both of them absolutely 100% responsible for the makeover of this team, then fine. But if not, then leave their mitts off of it until everyone knows where they stand. Wade... not Wayne... already says he's got other businesses to run that he can go back to if things don't work out. So, how do I interpret that?  Is this the job he really wants?? Can he give 100% & more to the team & the fanbase to turn things around? Do we want a President who while, may be a "football guy", may not be 100% totally focused on rebuilding this team because his other business interests take up his time? When someone takes a job like this upon himself & thinks it's a part time gig & he thinks he can juggle his other interests along with it, it kinda makes me nervous.

This team has to start making some huge choices soon. The fanbase is pissed off yet Miller seemed to barely acknowledge that in the interview. I just hope the situation we are in now at the management level turns out to be the right one.

But if there's a chance the interim GM won't be there then he doesn't have any business making deals because a bad deal can handcuff another GM. It's a Catch 22. So, make them permanent. Not a good situation the longer it goes on. All they truly are, are caretakers. That's all interim should be.

Makes no sense.

There is no such thing as a "permanent" position. You have to let them make moves. To suggest otherwise is foolish.

But if there's a chance the interim GM won't be there then he doesn't have any business making deals because a bad deal can handcuff another GM. It's a Catch 22. So, make them permanent. Not a good situation the longer it goes on. All they truly are, are caretakers. That's all interim should be.

Makes no sense.

There is no such thing as a "permanent" position. You have to let them make moves. To suggest otherwise is foolish.

And then they move on & others are left to pick up the pieces. That's what I don't like. That is what is scary to me here.