Burke's Lost His Mind

BlueBall

I clearly don't agree with Burke but I don't think he deserves **** for this one.  Anything he said would be ripped here.  "I've been crap, definitely deserve to be canned" would get him crucified too.  

well clearly the smart thing to do is not say anything. 

Yeah, ignore a direct question from the Official Broadcaster of the CFL. See how well that goes. That would be the opposite of smart, clearly.

I get that nobody here thinks Burke should keep his job. But anyone who thinks he didn't respond to this specific question the right way is allowing their hate for Burke to cloud their judgement.

Just because we've all checked out this season, and clearly some players have checked out this season doesn't mean he has. And that speaks to him as a man, and has little to do with his competence as a head coach.

I clearly don't agree with Burke but I don't think he deserves **** for this one.  Anything he said would be ripped here.  "I've been crap, definitely deserve to be canned" would get him crucified too.  

Oh please, then we'd find something else to attack him on.  Perhaps his lack of confidence in answering a question.  Or why he would clearly ignore a question directly posed to him from the media.

Burke does plenty of stupid things and deserves criticism for all of them.  This is not one of them.  This is Troy Westwood-level criticism right here.

Oh please, then we'd find something else to attack him on.  Perhaps his lack of confidence in answering a question.  Or why he would clearly ignore a question directly posed to him from the media.

Burke does plenty of stupid things and deserves criticism for all of them.  This is not one of them.  This is Troy Westwood-level criticism right here.

It's not hard to say things like "all I can do is worry about winning game this year and whatever they decide to do they decide to do" says nothing and still answers the question. Seriously this isn't complicated. 

It's not hard to say things like "all I can do is worry about winning game this year and whatever they decide to do they decide to do" says nothing and still answers the question. Seriously this isn't complicated. 

"Look, Coach Burke doesn't even care about what happens next season cause he's already checked out! Fire him now already! Him being on the team when he clearly doesn't care about what happens going forward is only going to hurt our team long-term." You're right, slamming him regardless of what he says isn't that complicated.

The fact that he didn't answer the question in the exact way you wanted him to framed perfectly to fit your expectations doesn't mean he handled it wrong.

I like how he uses Quarterback as the number one excuse, he wanted both Elliot and Brink released because Max Hall and Justin Goltz would be ''improvements'' and he also believed Buck Pierce would be an adequate starting QB this season. Burke has to take just as much as blame as anyone for our horrific trio of Buck, Goltz and Hall.

"Look, Coach Burke doesn't even care about what happens next season cause he's already checked out! Fire him now already! Him being on the team when he clearly doesn't care about what happens going forward is only going to hurt our team long-term." You're right, slamming him regardless of what he says isn't that complicated.

The fact that he didn't answer the question in the exact way you wanted him to framed perfectly to fit your expectations doesn't mean he handled it wrong.

instead he threw the fired GM totally under the bus, he threw his players under the bus and he quite frankly insulted the intelligence of everyone who follows this team by contradicting what he said before the season started. Yeah that's much better. Burke at this point is simply saying anything and everything to make excuses for himself and it is absolutely disgusting. 

instead he threw the fired GM totally under the bus, he threw his players under the bus and he quite frankly insulted the intelligence of everyone who follows this team by contradicting what he said before the season started. Yeah that's much better. Burke at this point is simply saying anything and everything to make excuses for himself and it is absolutely disgusting. 

Burke doesn't deserve to keep his job. And I don't agree with most of what he says. Below is every direct quote from Burke. Please show me where he throws Mack "totally under the bus". Also, please help me figure out which specific players he threw under the bus that has you so disgusted:

“I don’t think I’ll go through any more adversity than this year,”
“So if I stayed strong through this, then I’ll be a better head coach in the future. It’s easier to deal with success than it is failure."
“As a team at least we’ve been competitive. We’ve gone out and given great effort. In some areas we’ve gotten better. We do have some personnel deficiencies, and some of those deficiencies are hard to overcome, so we’ll try to address those in the off-season.”
“We definitely have to improve our scouting, and it just isn’t going to happen overnight,” he said. “It’s going to take two or three years to really get to where we want to get to. The first stage is to try to be a playoff team. The next phase is to be competitive towards the Grey Cup, and the third phase is to win the Grey Cup.
“We’re going to have to acquire personnel that helps us get there, and we have a plan to try to get us to that first phase, hopefully within a year.”
“It’s different, that’s for sure,” Burke said. “The great thing is all three of us work together well. I feel it is more of a collaborative effort, and hopefully we all hang around together and can move forward, because I think we got a great plan to move forward.”
“My job is to try to help keep the team motivated,” Burke said. “I want us to go out there and play with passion and I want us to go out there and play with great effort, and I want us to try and get better as a team. If we do that, then I feel like I’ve done my job.”

I hope Kavis Reed & Tim Burke like AMC's "Walking Dead" because that is what both of them are right now. Nearly half the CFL teams will be looking for head coaches (Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal & Ottawa) so we better not waste any time firing Burke or cheap out when it comes to paying someone qualified. 

Burke doesn't deserve to keep his job. And I don't agree with most of what he says. Below is every direct quote from Burke. Please show me where he throws Mack "totally under the bus". Also, please help me figure out which specific players he threw under the bus that has you so disgusted:

“So if I stayed strong through this, then I’ll be a better head coach in the future. It’s easier to deal with success than it is failure."
“As a team at least we’ve been competitive. We’ve gone out and given great effort. In some areas we’ve gotten better. We do have some personnel deficiencies, and some of those deficiencies are hard to overcome, so we’ll try to address those in the off-season.”
“We definitely have to improve our scouting, and it just isn’t going to happen overnight,” he said. “It’s going to take two or three years to really get to where we want to get to. The first stage is to try to be a playoff team. The next phase is to be competitive towards the Grey Cup, and the third phase is to win the Grey Cup.
“We’re going to have to acquire personnel that helps us get there, and we have a plan to try to get us to that first phase, hopefully within a year.”
“It’s different, that’s for sure,” Burke said. “The great thing is all three of us work together well. I feel it is more of a collaborative effort, and hopefully we all hang around together and can move forward, because I think we got a great plan to move forward.”
“My job is to try to help keep the team motivated,” Burke said. “I want us to go out there and play with passion and I want us to go out there and play with great effort, and I want us to try and get better as a team. If we do that, then I feel like I’ve done my job.”

can't get much clearer than that

Exactly why they need to bring in an experienced GM for a couple seasons to get Walters connected down south and help guide him through this mess. To just dump the whole thing on his plate would be unfair.

can't get much clearer than that

There's personnel deficiencies - no one, not even members of the team, would suggest otherwise. Again, which players, or groups of players, or position, is he throwing under the bus? Or is this one of those if you hate Burke he's "throwing players under the bus" but if you like Burke "he's just telling it like it is" scenarios?

Scouting is an organizational process, not a sole GM one. I took this quote as more of a criticism of the organization than of the previous GM. The fact that we have one US scout falls on the Bombers, not on Mack.

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just suggesting when you take what he said directly, without what the beat writers frame around his quote, he isn't exactly "losing his mind" as the thread title suggests.

There's personnel deficiencies - no one, not even members of the team, would suggest otherwise. Again, which players, or groups of players, or position, is he throwing under the bus? Or is this one of those if you hate Burke he's "throwing players under the bus" but if you like Burke "he's just telling it like it is" scenarios?

Scouting is an organizational process, not a sole GM one. I took this quote as more of a criticism of the organization than of the previous GM. The fact that we have one US scout falls on the Bombers, not on Mack.

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just suggesting when you take what he said directly, without what the beat writers frame around his quote, he isn't exactly "losing his mind" as the thread title suggests.

The problem is that he shouldn't be saying any of this.  What kind of coach makes these kinds of excuses?  Even if it's true, it is unprofessional and it does have an effect on the team as well.  Can you imagine Marc Trestman or Corey Chamblin making the excuse that they didn't have enough talent to work with?  No chance, because they are smart and understand that the responsibility ultimately falls on them.  Burke is passing the buck to the organization, the GM, and the players, but never has a damn thing to say about what he did wrong himself.

The problem is that he shouldn't be saying any of this.  What kind of coach makes these kinds of excuses?  Even if it's true, it is unprofessional and it does have an effect on the team as well.  Can you imagine Marc Trestman or Corey Chamblin making the excuse that they didn't have enough talent to work with?  No chance, because they are smart and understand that the responsibility ultimately falls on them.  Burke is passing the buck to the organization, the GM, and the players, but never has a damn thing to say about what he did wrong himself.

I agree with a lot of this. But this appears to be the stance the entire organization has taken. Both Walters and Miller have said the exact same things Burke has. All top organizations in all sports have one thing in common: from the owner to management to coaching, all three levels have the same vision and share the same plan on how to get there. The thing is that the Bombers vision and plan appear to be, "things were horrible before, but we're fixing them. Here's how." Unfortunately, things are still horrible at the moment.

The title of this thread is: Burke's lost his mind.

He hasn't lost his mind, he's trying to put his best argument forward to save his job.  I can't fault him for that, even if I don't agree with some of the things he said.

The fact is there are deficiencies in player personal on this team and there is a lack of scouting. (The lack of scouting seems to have been a problem for the last 2 decades. Why does that never seem to get fixed?) What he failed to mention was the deficiencies in coaching, which obviously he would not do if he is trying to save his job.

And obviously the comment about the team at least being competitive is a complete joke too. The Bombers have lost by an Avg. 14 points this season.  That's not competitive.

The reality is though that this interview is meaningless because there is no chance he will be back next year anyways.  So let's not get all hot and bothered by it.

If he was brought back, then at this time next year the Bombers would be firing 3 people, not just one.  (Miller, Walters & Burke.)

I have a feeling that if Walters came to Miller and said that he was keeping Burke on, Miller would throw him out on his ass before the sentence was even finished. :lol:

Wade Miller said the same thing.  Are we going to drag him through the mud and call him names?  The mantra of this franchise right now is, there is not enough talent.  Digging deeper, it's "there wasn't enough talent brought in over the last few years".  It's reasonable to criticise that as throwing the former regime under the bus and you can call it making excuses, but it's the franchise mantra right now.  I wouldn't rip Burke for that.  It's what everyone is saying from top to bottom.

The people at the top though are the ones that should be saying that because that's basically their job. The coach though, his job is to get the most out of what he is given to work with and Burke has not come close to doing that. Which players are having a career year on this team? Which players are meeting or exceeding expectations? 

Here's the thing about Burke and his complaints regarding a lack of talent.

Similar talent was at least competitive under LaPolice. We may not have won a ton of games, but at least we felt like we had a chance to win. I watch this team now and all I can think is that they have absolutely no chance. Given that these are professional athletes competing against other professional athletes, you'd think we could at least put up somewhat of a fight.

To me, the main issue with this team is coaching. Top to bottom, they are doing absolutely nothing to improve the skillset of our roster. I can count on one hand the number of players we've had during the Delmonaco/Howell/Burke regime who have improved under their watch. Most of our imports seem to get worse the more they work with our coaches. Matthews came here and lit the world on fire, now he can't catch. Denmark was a ROY candidate, now he's a spare part who struggles to get open. Simpson played on instinct last year and seemed dominant at times, but struggled this year with our new offensive schemes. Our defensive backs, aside from Washington, seem to be getting worse. Ian Wild and Desia Dunn both debuted incredibly strong and now look mediocre (maybe a byproduct of our entire defense) ... in two years, they couldn't teach Alex Hall how to time his break well enough to avoid going offside. Mike Sims-Walker was highly touted enough to get his own press conference as a CFL rookie when he came here and now he can't even crack the lineup because Howell can't get through to him on the waggle. And don't even get me started on what our quarterbacks are doing in their development.

It's ridiculous. Our coaching is garbage. Talent level may be on the lower end but they could still produce a LOT better with some average coaches.

I agree with a lot of this. But this appears to be the stance the entire organization has taken. Both Walters and Miller have said the exact same things Burke has. All top organizations in all sports have one thing in common: from the owner to management to coaching, all three levels have the same vision and share the same plan on how to get there. The thing is that the Bombers vision and plan appear to be, "things were horrible before, but we're fixing them. Here's how." Unfortunately, things are still horrible at the moment.

And you're point is?? It's ok for Miller and Walters to say that...it's their job to convince the paying public what they're doing to fix an obviously bad team in certain areas. It's not Burke's job to regurgitate what he has heard them saying, it's his job to keep the players motivated and ready to play no matter what!

I think it's also pathetic that he never seems to have a clue which of his players are coming back from injury and which aren't. He always has to ask someone else. If I was HC I would want to know that every morning before I had to go to a press conference. It's called being prepared!

Similar talent was at least competitive under LaPolice. We may not have won a ton of games, but at least we felt like we had a chance to win. I watch this team now and all I can think is that they have absolutely no chance. Given that these are professional athletes competing against other professional athletes, you'd think we could at least put up somewhat of a fight.

To me, the main issue with this team is coaching. Top to bottom, they are doing absolutely nothing to improve the skillset of our roster. I can count on one hand the number of players we've had during the Delmonaco/Howell/Burke regime who have improved under their watch. Most of our imports seem to get worse the more they work with our coaches. Matthews came here and lit the world on fire, now he can't catch. Denmark was a ROY candidate, now he's a spare part who struggles to get open. Simpson played on instinct last year and seemed dominant at times, but struggled this year with our new offensive schemes. Our defensive backs, aside from Washington, seem to be getting worse. Ian Wild and Desia Dunn both debuted incredibly strong and now look mediocre (maybe a byproduct of our entire defense) ... in two years, they couldn't teach Alex Hall how to time his break well enough to avoid going offside. Mike Sims-Walker was highly touted enough to get his own press conference as a CFL rookie when he came here and now he can't even crack the lineup because Howell can't get through to him on the waggle. And don't even get me started on what our quarterbacks are doing in their development.

It's ridiculous. Our coaching is garbage. Talent level may be on the lower end but they could still produce a LOT better with some average coaches.

There's nothing here I can really disagree with. I think you hit the nail on the head.

That being said, I still can't blame Burke for trying to make a case for himself.  It's not going to work, because there are major flaws in his argument, (As you pointed out.), but I can see why he would try.  I think most people in his situation would try the same thing.

I was trying to think to myself earlier about who was actually playing as well as expected or better and I realized that most of the names were people new to the team. Kelly, Ian Wild, I completely agree with you that players come here and get worse the more they are exposed to the coaching. One of the things that Lapo did manage to do well was get players to improve, at least it seems to me that he did at least a little bit. This coaching staff needs a complete over haul or it won't matter which players they bring in.