PGT: Short Week Exposes Blue Issues
- Replies 105
- Views 2k
- Created
- Last Reply
Top Posters In This Topic
-
Booch 22 posts
-
wbbfan 16 posts
-
SpeedFlex27 13 posts
-
Jesse 9 posts
Most Popular Posts
-
That’s crazy talk. We have to start 3 Canadian receivers… No matter what.
-
I can't disagree with this enough.... They had a few good moments run blocking but they were not good on the whole. Sad thing is he was worse....
-
Wheatfall’s just a guy and not really worth crying over his loss. I have little doubt Singer would put up similar numbers if we used a 3rd import at rec.
I don't create threads very often but I was kind of missing a good ol' post-game thread.
The title of the thread sums up my take on last night's game. Going from a Sunday game that went about as far into overtime that you can get to a Friday match against a high powered Calgary offense. This wasn't going to be easy. I'm not going to say that we win this game otherwise, but a lot of what I saw can be attributed to this.
Everyone, to a man, was a half step behind. First few drives looked like we were trying to conserve energy. That was embarrassing, particularly our first defensive effort. At a point though, they all realized they have to give more if this game was going to stay close.
That said, they were not able to overcome their physical limitations..and that really exposed that we are not a great team. Great teams have enough talent that they will find a way.
The Good
Our defensive front seven has continued to be a force. There is a lot of talent in this group. We had their run game bottled up and they were making life difficult for VA.
Major Williams, to me, was the only DB out there that played well enough. He's a rookie though, and in the CFL you are going to get beat every once in a while.
Our offensive line, I thought, had a solid night minus the last few drives when the game was pretty much out of reach (and one player that I'll get to). They were going against a very good Calgary defensive line. I'm sure some will bite my head off for this but I thought that Wallace even did a fairly good job at RT. I haven't watched the replays or watch every play after the fact. But the plays I watched him I thought he was holding his own.
Demski and Oliveira were the highlights for me. When they are put into situations to play to their strengths, they can be very good. I just don't think this happens enough.
It's hard to say that Dru Brown was good, but I think he's being put in a tough spot. As was brought up by @JuranBoldenRules in another thread, his options are all within 20 yards with DBs and linebackers all over the place within it. I think for the most part he's making the right reads. But he didn't have many open receivers to throw to.
The Bad
Offensive playcalling has to be number one for me. We have to put Brady in a position to make plays. We aren't. He is our workhorse. If anyone is going to thrive on a short week it is going to be him. But no, we continue to put him out wide for some reason. And we are running too many plays that are sending him east-west. That is not his game. Anytime we had him going up the middle tonight he was making something of it.
This will be Stanley Bryant's last year. He is a shadow of his former self. Missing his block left, right and center. When Brox is healthy I'd say we line him up at LT and move on with Bryant.
Defensive backs. A step slow tonight. Showed in their ability to tackle. Showed in their ability to adjust to the ball in the air. I get the feeling that Moxey is playing hurt. He refuses to do anything that requires making a play on the ball. It's pretty embarrassing. Nichols, for being a smaller guy, cannot be slow, and cannot be slow to react. I'm not counting him out completely but it isn't looking good. Holm had a terrible game and just didn't seem to be himself. The short week did a number on this group IMO.
I thought the receivers had a similar problem to the DBs. We rely so much on Pokey Wilson and Tim White to get separation. They couldn't last night, and I think that lead to many of the interceptions. They didn't have enough and made the Calgary DBs look very good. As has been brought up elsewhere, we need some different types of receivers that can make plays in different ways.
Special teams...half step too slow..was all of the difference. Also the 57 yard FG call when our defense was rolling and we could pin them deep. Hated that.