Peter Ribbins - Seeking Memories of Peter Daniel Ribbins' Time with Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1971-1976)

Hello all!!!

I hope this message finds you all well. My name is Taylor Ribbins, and I am reaching out to this community with a special request. My father, Peter Daniel Ribbins, was a receiver/defensive for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers from 1971 to 1976. Sadly my father passed away 12 December 2010. 

As Christmas approaches, I am on heartfelt mission to create a sentimental gift for my Mother and siblings by compiling a collection of memories, footage, pictures, and/or newspaper clippings from my father's football days with the Blue Bombers. 

If anyone has any material or know of potential sources that could help me in this endeavor, I would be eternally grateful!! 

Many thanks
Taylor Ribbins

Edited by Taylor Ribbins

• Taylor Ribbins changed the title to Peter Ribbins - Seeking Memories of Peter Daniel Ribbins' Time with Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1971-1976)
44 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

WIsh I could help you. I was too young to have watched your father play but a really good resource might be to contact the Bomber`s themselves. Darren Bauming in particular. The Bombers are a first rate organization to alumni and I am positive they would do their best for you.

Darren Bauming doesn't work for the Bombers... not sure he'd be able to help. 

Scott Grant Photography has a great action photo of your father I'm sure your family would appreciate. You should contact him. His photos are online & you can order it. I remember your father very well. He was just a natural as a player. Peter excelled whatever position he played. He was a safety, a corner, a receiver (wingback) & he could run with the ball as well. He also was the Blue Bomber long snapper. At 185 lbs & he did that very well, too. 

I remember the game in 1972 when he picked off 4 passes against the BC Lions. 

Your Dad was one of my favourite player's back when he played. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Scott Grant Photography has a great action photo of your father I'm sure your family would appreciate. You should contact him. His photos is online & you can order it. I remember your father very well. He was just a natural as a player. Peter excelled whatever position he played. He was a safety, a corner, a receiver (wingback) & he could run with the ball as well. He also was the Blue Bomber long snapper. At 185 lbs & he did that very well, too. 

Thank you!

I've reached out to Scott. I would love to watch that game (any of them really) It means a lot to see dad being remembered. I miss him everyday.

28 minutes ago, Taylor Ribbins said:

Thank you!

I've reached out to Scott. I would love to watch that game (any of them really) It means a lot to see dad being remembered. I miss him everyday.

IIRC, your father was picked by the Bombers in the first round of the Canadian Football Draft. The Bombers had two first round picks in that 1971 Draft. They took Bobby Kraemer from the University of MB with their first pick & your Dad with their second pick. Kraemer was a great selection & a very good athlete but he couldn't hold a candle to your father. I also remember reading that your Dad was considered the most athletic player the Bombers had.  Both you & Kraemer had a great deal to do with the Bombers going from a CFL last place finish at 2-14 in 1970 to a 7-8-1 third place finish in the Western Conference in 1971 his rookie year.

I also remember your father catching a TD pass from Don Jonas in the 1971 Western Semi Final against the Saskatachewan Roughriders.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Scott Grant Photography has a great action photo of your father I'm sure your family would appreciate. You should contact him. His photos are online & you can order it. I remember your father very well. He was just a natural as a player. Peter excelled whatever position he played. He was a safety, a corner, a receiver (wingback) & he could run with the ball as well. He also was the Blue Bomber long snapper. At 185 lbs & he did that very well, too. 

was gonna say this be one the dudes to contact on here...or who would have good insight

Joa Pascucci as well may have archival stuff from then....Was before my time really as well so not much I can offer

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

was gonna say this be one the dudes to contact on here...or who would have good insight

Joa Pascucci as well may have archival stuff from then....Was before my time really as well so not much I can offer

Imagine coaching or playing with teammate who could run the ball, play receiver, play defensive back at a high level. return punts & kicks & be an undersized long snapper? Then be even more athletic as your best American player. That was Peter Ribbins.  I'd call him a generational player. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thank you! Joe Pascucci has been very helpful and sent a video clip of dad getting a touch down. Very very cool to see and cant wait to share with the family christmas morning!!

Edited by Taylor Ribbins

yeah I had no inclination nor had ever really stumbled across that name...very interesting and impressive

Just now, Taylor Ribbins said:

Thank you! Joe Pascucci has been very helpful and send a video clip of dad getting a touch down. Very very cool to see and cant wait to share with the family christmas morning!!

oh thats great...he has an extensive catalog, and access to archival stuff from before christ I think lol

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah I had no inclination nor had ever really stumbled across that name...very interesting and impressive

Defensively, Ribbins was a ball hawk & similar in stature to that Ducoix kid in Montreal. He's the closest to Ribbins as a DB I've seen. They're very similar. But Ducoix can't play the other positions like Ribbins could. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Defensively, Ribbins was a ball hawk & similar in stature to that Ducoix kid in Montreal. He's the closest to Ribbins as a DB I've seen. They're very similar. But Ducoix can't play the other positions like Ribbins could. 

same flow too?....lol....being in the 70's I could see it

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

same flow too?....lol....being in the 70's I could see it

His hair was shoulder length & he had a big moustache like we all did. Players in the 70's took care of their hair & just didn't let it grow to their knees like now. Different era. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

31 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

@SpeedFlex27 I knew you'd be able to help this guy out - love to see it!

Girl** :) I do have a brother though and he rocks the shoulder length hair and moustache like Dad

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Taylor should check out my CFL History Group on Facebook. Almost 5,000 members & growing strong. 

Will have to re-activate facebook!! Thank you

Edited by Taylor Ribbins

As has been mentioned by @Booch, Joe Pascucci would be the best to touch base with for any video clips, as he acts as an unofficial club historian with lots of archival stuff from his days at CKND (had the foresight to save the stuff). The Free Press has their online archive, or you could attend the Winnipeg Centennial library to view their entire microfilm catalogue (which would allow you to print any pages from any issue of the paper, provided you know which dates you are looking for). They may have some newspaper photos. As for the club, not sure if the Alumni Association could help, but try their website at www.bomberalumni.com and reach out to them if you have any specific requests. I also saw that the club posted an obituary for your dad on the www.bluebombers.com website back in 2011 (you can still find a link to it by searching your dad’s name on Google), so they might be of assistance too. Finally, as you have seen, @SpeedFlex27 is our resident go-to guy for the past living history of the club, especially the 1970’s era, so he would have a trove of memories for you. Best of luck with your search. 

On 2023-12-01 at 4:25 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

IIRC, your father was picked by the Bombers in the first round of the Canadian Football Draft. The Bombers had two first round picks in that 1971 Draft. They took Bobby Kraemer from the University of MB with their first pick & your Dad with their second pick. Kraemer was a great selection & a very good athlete but he couldn't hold a candle to your father. I also remember reading that your Dad was considered the most athletic player the Bombers had.  Both you & Kraemer had a great deal to do with the Bombers going from a CFL last place finish at 2-14 in 1970 to a 7-8-1 third place finish in the Western Conference in 1971 his rookie year.

I also remember your father catching a TD pass from Don Jonas in the 1971 Western Semi Final against the Saskatachewan Roughriders.

The fact that you remember this stuff is incredible and mind boggling... always a pleasure to read your Bomber history memories

@Taylor Ribbins... unfortunately you father played 10 years before I was born so I'm no use to you... but good luck with your search!