2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That's nonsense. Houston led the league in INTs and made some very timely plays for us that turned losses into victories. Sayles was good as well. Is Houston perfect, nope, but to say he wasn't good last year. OMG. Is this bizarro world around here today?

Yes, and was absolutely torched over and over again throughout the year and picked on repeatedly in the Grey Cup. Just because a guy catches a few 50/50 balls doesnt mean he's good. You dont think its somewhat telling that the Bombers didnt try to bring him back??

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yes, and was absolutely torched over and over again throughout the year and picked on repeatedly in the Grey Cup. Just because a guy catches a few 50/50 balls doesnt mean he's good. You dont think its somewhat telling that the Bombers didnt try to bring him back??

How do you know the Bombers didn't try bring him back? All we know is that the Bombers wouldn't pay what someone else was willing to pay, and rightfully so as we are very deep in our d backfield. Don't mistake us not allocating the funds to him as us not wanting him. Good teams lose good players all the time in an SMS world. ALL Dbs get torched occasionally. Our very worst by far defender in the GC was Parker and I am very excited to see what he can do this year.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

A couple of timely pics does not an exceptional DB make.....We would not have parted with him IF we thought he had value down the road.....end of

7 minutes ago, Stickem said:

A couple of timely pics does not an exceptional DB make.....We would not have parted with him IF we thought he had value down the road.....end of

You keep saying we wouldn't have parted with him as if every player move is made in isolation. It's not. He got a big payday somewhere else that we would not match because guys like Schoen and Brady were higher priority to bring back, and our depth at that position group allowed us to not have to give him a big pay day. There is a big difference between not making a guy one of the highest paid players in his position group in the league, to us not valuing him. We just didn't value him as highly as another teams was willing to do so because we had bigger fish to retain. He led the league in INTs, that is not a bad player to have on your roster. I'm not suggesting he was the perfect DB, but he had a pretty good season. 

Another CFL GM gave him 280k in hard money. That's not shitty DB money.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You keep saying we wouldn't have parted with him as if every player move is made in isolation. It's not. He got a big payday somewhere else that we would not match because guys like Schoen and Brady were higher priority to bring back, and our depth at that position group allowed us to not have to give him a big pay day. There is a big difference between not making a guy one of the highest paid players in his position group in the league, to us not valuing him. We just didn't value him as highly as another teams was willing to do so because we had bigger fish to retain.

Look ....maybe we didn't want to match his ask.....and his measurabilities as a player didn't measure up....In any event he moved on .....his choice orrrr the million dollar question....when it came down to it .....was it our choice

Edited by Stickem

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Look ....maybe we didn't want to match his ask.....and his measurabilities as a player didn't measure up....In any event he moved on .....his choice orrrr the million dollar question....when it came down to it .....it was our choice

We definitely did not want to match the 280k he got. Nor would I have if I were Walters either. Not with our DB depth chart and exceptional DB scouting over the past few year. Doesn't make him a bad player though. I'm not sitting here trying to make the argument that Houston going to Calgary is any kind of hill we have to climb. We got guys that will excel in that spot.

Edited by GCn20

I'd like to see Biggie as the DA Cole was last yr and the Nationalized Canadian and in a role position this yr. The player coach as we transition to the heir...Play some teams...come in for certain sets...quality depth back-up if injury occurs...and knowledge invaluanle....Unless he comes in to camp and shows/appears he is capable of 18 games at full tilt, I would hope we ration his reps.

I don't see him being a 80..90% of the reps kinda guy based on observations last yr...but a 15..20 reps a guy on defence...special teams responsibilities and less wear and tear can be a valuable role guy to take over Briggs role...especially with the Nationlized tag put on him...Tho Osh needs to pull his head out of his arse and utilize it

Just now, Stickem said:

Look ....maybe we didn't want to match his ask.....and his measurabilities as a player didn't measure up....In any event he moved on .....his choice orrrr the million dollar question....when it came down to it .....was it our choice

Pretty sure we were moving on from Houston regardless of what other teams were offering him

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'd like to see Biggie as the DA Cole was last yr and the Nationalized Canadian and in a role position this yr. The player coach as we transition to the heir...Play some teams...come in for certain sets...quality depth back-up if injury occurs...and knowledge invaluanle....Unless he comes in to camp and shows/appears he is capable of 18 games at full tilt, I would hope we ration his reps.

I don't see him being a 80..90% of the reps kinda guy based on observations last yr...but a 15..20 reps a guy on defence...special teams responsibilities and less wear and tear can be a valuable role guy to take over Briggs role...especially with the Nationlized tag put on him...Tho Osh needs to pull his head out of his arse and utilize it

I agree with your assessment. I think keeping Biggie fresh would make him very impactful for us when he does come in. His biggest problem right now is not that he can't play at a very high level, it's keeping him healthy and fresh.

Edited by GCn20

49 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Unless, of course, you are suggesting that the players wouldn't accurately rate their peers?

C'mon Mike seriously?

Yeah. That’s exactly what I’m suggesting. Do you really think they care? Lol 

These guys basically play opponents once or twice a season, they watch film throughout the week and that’s about as much CFL as the majority of them consume. Do you think these guys take their ballots home and think it over with a nice glass of whiskey? It’s all locker room talk. It’s a reputation award. Ask any player. I would bet less than 10% take it seriously.

Two years ago, I remember talking to a current Bomber and it came up that he had filled out his ballot that afternoon. Hockey locker room talk. Somebody asked him who he voted for. “I forget” 

That's a shame, current players could be the best judge of talent, if they cared to be... but I could see that being the case tbh...

No throwing darts, just go with the names you know, or the names getting the spots on Sport Center... it's not that hard to believe now that I think about it

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

That's a shame, current players could be the best judge of talent, if they cared to be... but I could see that being the case tbh...

No throwing darts, just go with the names you know, or the names getting the spots on Sport Center... it's not that hard to believe now that I think about it

That's easier than just going with the names of the guys who've played you tough? How so? It's amazing how fans will go to extreme lengths to justify their opinions. Suggesting that 90% of the players in this league just wrote down random names because they were on Sportscentre last night? C'mon. The players do care more than that. Give them some credit.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure...whatever you say. Just throw darts at a board in the locker room.

Yeah. Pretty much. If someone pipes up and says “hey so and so gets a bonus if they win that this year”, you best believe anyone who hears that is gonna vote for the guy. Obviously I’m not suggesting they’re going to vote a guy like Shayne Gauthier, but these guys aren’t hitting the film room to break down the film before they decide between Adam Bighill and Cam Judge, as an example.

You want more evidence it’s just a reputation, “you’ve earned it with your longevity” type vote? Go look who WASN’T a CFLPA all star in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah. Pretty much. If someone pipes up and says “hey so and so gets a bonus if they win that this year”, you best believe anyone who hears that is gonna vote for the guy. Obviously I’m not suggesting they’re going to vote a guy like Shayne Gauthier, but these guys aren’t hitting the film room to break down the film before they decide between Adam Bighill and Cam Judge, as an example.

You want more evidence it’s just a reputation, “you’ve earned it with your longevity” type vote? Go look who WASN’T a CFLPA all star in 2022.

OK so we can agree that Bighill's inclusion on that team suggests that he wasn't barely passable as a starter. Good, we are in agreement then and can end this circle jerk. At no point was I suggesting that players were breaking down film to confirm their votes. It's a vote based on who offensive players immediately think is their toughest to play against opponent. Maybe they might take a Bighill over a Judge as a tribute to his longevity, but the fact of the matter he was on their mind.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

OK so we can agree that Bighill's inclusion on that team suggests that he wasn't barely passable as a starter. Good, we are in agreement then and can end this circle jerk.

What’re you going to tell me next? You probably think every player cares a bunch about whether they win a Grey Cup or not too right? 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

What’re you going to tell me next? You probably think every player cares a bunch about whether they win a Grey Cup or not too right? 

I would hope they do.

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

Honestly I have no explanation for any of this when Kelly can get more votes than Collaros

Kelly wasn't chopped liver last year. He was probably the beneficiary of a tired of Collaros vote but he definitely belonged in the conversation, as did Bighill at MIKE.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Yep and he got a lot of press too. Didn't have to play the Bombers either. He was the QB of the top team in the league. Collaros was the best QB in the league.

Sure....and I'm sure a lot of players around the league were tired of Collaros getting the nod as well. I'm certainly not suggesting the CFLPA all star team is a perfect list, just that players don't get onto the team that didn't belong in the conversation.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Boy do I have some news for you. Most players don’t care anywhere near as much as you or I do.

Not the players I have met over the years. They care..A LOT. Are there SOME players who just play for the pay cheque....sure. Most really wanna win very badly.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Not the players I have met over the years. They care..A LOT.

I’ve met a lot on both sides of the argument. Some care plenty. Some look at it as paid overtime they didn’t volunteer to work.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ve met a lot on both sides of the argument. Some care plenty. Some look at it as paid overtime they didn’t volunteer to work.

I can honestly say that over the years I have never met a player that thought of the playoffs or the Grey Cup as OT they didn't ask for. I've met a ton of former and current Bombers through coaching clinics etc. and to a man every single one of them want to hoist the Cup. If we have any guys like that on the Bombers I hope we cut them, but I highly doubt we do. Sounds more like these players gather in Regina.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure....and I'm sure a lot of players around the league were tired of Collaros getting the nod as well. I'm certainly not suggesting the CFLPA all star team is a perfect list, just that players don't get onto the team that didn't belong in the conversation.

This is fair, I have always been of the opinion the CFLPA awards were the 'real' awards, the closest to perfect you could get... maybe they still are, but ya the cracks were showing this year for sure imo