Tigercats at Elks July 13

or maybe Cui was just being coy and didnt want to allude to the fact he can jettison that doucher at any moment?...who knows but from experience I dont put too much faith in what coaches and management types say in the press...especially when asked about touchy subject matter

Just now, WinnipegGordo said:

Looks like 3DownNation were the first to report it as such back in April. Everyone ran with it as fact until now:

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/15/chris-jones-doesnt-care-about-added-pressure-after-losing-season-elks-president-victor-cui/

The person with the least stability heading into next season may be Jones himself. Though he signed for four years with the Elks, according to sources his contract is structured as four individual one-year contracts, giving the team an out following each season to avoid any possible penalties to the league’s football operations cap if he is fired.

Interesting.

Who was the source? The hot dog vendor? 

Doesn’t sound like Cui was hiding this info - he flat out told TSN the answer by the look of it - on the record. 

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Jones just hits me as someone who doesn't really want to put the work in anymore.

Yeah to me he looks like a guy who was all about climbing higher and now that he realizes he's not likely to get an NFL gig or a cushy college gig he is just cashing a paycheque. 

37 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

They haven’t won a home game since 2019 and have been all around terrible. Getting 30k to show up isn’t as easy as you think. It was a limited number of seats not the whole building. Also - they may win, so you still have to care. 

Worse coaches than him have gotten endless chances. He is a terrible GM, and an average HC. 

Giving me a free ticket to see a shitty team and paying over priced prices for everything isn’t exactly enticing. 

Yeah they got people excited with FA, there was lots of hype to start the season. Plus the ticket give aways, plus the guarentee to win. 30k was solid. It's been dog **** since.

Name 1 head coach, that lost half the games at home Jones has that has bee  given endless chances? This isn't the NFL. Lapo is the only one that comes to mind...and I'd take him over Jones no questions asked. He actually built a divisional championship team.

At the end of the day, in football you're judged by your W-L record. Not your Social media presence, or you're ability to draw a crowd before they see the product. Cui will go down as one the worst hires in edm sporting history. Regardless of the factors placed in front of him.

There were some legit QB's available this year, namely Dane Evans.  But Edmonton went all in on Cornelius.  Jones has been terrible on QB's and it's unlikely anyone would entertain playing there who is experienced with him as coach/GM.

The community owned teams seem to be the perfect opportunity for inept personnel guys to run the team into the ground.  There's no one telling Jones what to do and worse with Cui being not a football person.

Imagine the Bombers under Wade Miller having Edmonton's QB situation.  Not a chance.  First thing they did was get Drew Willy.  Then Matt Nichols.  Then cut bait on Willy when the time was right.  Then grab Collaros when needed.  Jones would have signed Streveler to a 3 year guaranteed extension.  As much as we love the guy he's not a franchise QB.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah they got people excited with FA, there was lots of hype to start the season. Plus the ticket give aways, plus the guarentee to win. 30k was solid. It's been dog **** since.

Name 1 head coach, that lost half the games at home Jones has that has bee  given endless chances? This isn't the NFL. Lapo is the only one that comes to mind...and I'd take him over Jones no questions asked. He actually built a divisional championship team.

At the end of the day, in football you're judged by your W-L record. Not your Social media presence, or you're ability to draw a crowd before they see the product. Cui will go down as one the worst hires in edm sporting history. Regardless of the factors placed in front of him.

Jones is 4 - 20 since taking over the Elks.   .200 winning percentage.  

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Jones is 4 - 20 since taking over the Elks.   .200 winning percentage.  

Chris Jones longs for a winning percentage of .200, but regrettably, his current standing is far more humiliating at .167 😂 Meanwhile, the esteemed Tim Burke managed to reach an admirable .250 before being canned.

46 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There were some legit QB's available this year, namely Dane Evans.  But Edmonton went all in on Cornelius.  Jones has been terrible on QB's and it's unlikely anyone would entertain playing there who is experienced with him as coach/GM.

The community owned teams seem to be the perfect opportunity for inept personnel guys to run the team into the ground.  There's no one telling Jones what to do and worse with Cui being not a football person.

Imagine the Bombers under Wade Miller having Edmonton's QB situation.  Not a chance.  First thing they did was get Drew Willy.  Then Matt Nichols.  Then cut bait on Willy when the time was right.  Then grab Collaros when needed.  Jones would have signed Streveler to a 3 year guaranteed extension.  As much as we love the guy he's not a franchise QB.

I would think he may be shown the door in however that can be done.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Just occurred to me that Cui, who got hired after Jones, could really still be handcuffed by the Elks BOD.  
He’s team president and has put in the work for the game day experience… not a football guy but his resume doesn’t scream loser at all.  
I imagine he’d have to (or has already) run all the financial scenarios of canning Jones to the BOD.  Would think any big news on Jones is a few days out, if there’s going to be any.

23 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Just occurred to me that Cui, who got hired after Jones, could really still be handcuffed by the Elks BOD.  
He’s team president and has put in the work for the game day experience… not a football guy but his resume doesn’t scream loser at all.  
I imagine he’d have to (or has already) run all the financial scenarios of canning Jones to the BOD.  Would think any big news on Jones is a few days out, if there’s going to be any.

Living around these parts they are very quickly losing the long time Eskimo supporters. Best turn this around real quick.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The cap was put in place because Jones in Sask had coaching staffs of like 18-20 people while most other teams had like 8.

Also for the fact that teams keep firing coaches and paying for 2-3 coaching staffs at once.

I actually don't blame the CFL or coaching cap all for the Elks absolutely horrendous mismanagement of their team.

lol (ks)

"Chris Jones made it clear, over and over again, on Tuesday as he was introduced as the new coach and general manager of the Edmonton Elks — he intends to not only rebuild the football team, but entrench himself as one of the CFL's greats.

He said he wants his name to be mentioned alongside the likes of Wally Buono, the CFL's all-time winningest coach, and John Hufnagel, who ranks no. 9 on the all-time coaching wins list.

"This is where I try to build a legacy," Jones told the media Tuesday as he stood in the Elks' locker room, surrounded by plaques bearing the names of some of the all-time greats in CFL history. "Four years from now, I don't have a crystal ball, but I can tell you we're going to work as hard as anybody. We're going to be organized, we're going to play fast and have fun doing it."

He received an enthusiastic welcome from Ian Murray, the chair of the Elks' board of governors.

"This is the first proactive step to turning around the problems we've had," Murray said.😂

dec 21 2021. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-elks-hire-chris-jones-head-coach-general-manager-1.6294064

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

In hindsight Wade Miller is the best thing to ever happen to the Bombers not sure Edmonton has anyone like that they could go to. Having both the in-depth football and business knowledge.

Wade Miller didn't have to deal with Tim Burke on a 4 year deal as HC and GM. He was able to hire his own GM and HC.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

I didn't realize the L's were still paying Sunderland and Elizondo after firing them in 2021.  What a shitshow of an organization. 

Aren't they only on the hook if and or until they find new work? Did they not both get new gigs after that?

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

Aren't they only on the hook if and or until they find new work? Did they not both get new gigs after that?

Cui says they are still on the books.

"Because if you remember in 2021 when we made these massive changes in the organization, we’re still carrying that severance for multiple years"

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/15/edmonton-elks-president-victor-cui-believes-firing-chris-jones-would-hamstring-team-calls-midseason-coaching-change-very-difficult/