Tigercats at Elks July 13

Man the Elf's played badly. 

If they cut Cornhole this year, do they still owe him 'guaranteed money' next year?

0-9 looks likely considering they play us and the Lions for the next 3 weeks. Outta the playoff picture mid-season is a very bad look.

Suitor has always been bad, but I don't remember him being as bad as he was last night. TSN needs to do something about it. 

22 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

So, he is not on 4 one year deals - which made little sense. 

He isn’t going anywhere. 

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If they cut Cornhole this year, do they still owe him 'guaranteed money' next year?

Suitor has always been bad, but I don't remember him being as bad as he was last night. TSN needs to do something about it. 

Cornelius has guaranteed money next year. 

Suitor was terrible. 

Edited by Geebrr

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Fwiw, Farhan figures the LOLks can get by the rest of the year with Geroy as GM and bumping up assistants in the coaching ranks. Gotta get the Jones stink outta there fast.

“Based on form”?  What does that mean? 

Also - the President of the team doesn’t give off the same “it will be easy” vibes about getting rid of Jones. 

Keep in mind - he is a GM, HC, and the DC. 

So you basically have no money for new hires or raises -  and will be asking guys to have flat pay for more work on a shitty team. 

The coaching staff is also basically all his best buddies - so what do you do next year if they don’t want to stay? 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

“Based on form”?  What does that mean? 

Also - the President of the team doesn’t give off the same “it will be easy” vibes about getting rid of Jones. 

Keep in mind - he is a GM, HC, and the DC. 

So you basically have no money for new hires or raises -  and will be asking guys to have flat pay for more work on a shitty team. 

The coaching staff is also basically all his best buddies - so what do you do next year if they don’t want to stay? 

This franchise is so boned… the mess on the field, the empty stands… it all lies at the feet of the genius BOD that handed Jones the keys to the kingdom for so long.

6 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

This franchise is so boned… the mess on the field, the empty stands… it all lies at the feet of the genius BOD that handed Jones the keys to the kingdom for so long.

It is too bad- because I actually think Cui is really good for the league. I would hate to see him get tossed. 

Cui said the Elks are actually saving money with Jones because they’re still paying for the salaries of the previous regime on the Admin Cap. 

Edited by Geebrr

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I mean...I think he could have been. But ultimately, if you can't put together even a slightly competitive team....you're not good for anything. 

He went with a proven name. 

He wasn’t  the first in this league to do it - and probably won’t be the last using Chris Jones even. 

They put 30k people in the stands opening game. That’s pretty good. 

Edited by Geebrr

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He wasn’t the first team in this league to do it - and probably won’t be the last using Chris Jones even. 

Guarenteed Jones will never be a head coach again. Maybe a DC, but that's it. He's done exactly nothing since he took another guy's team to the GC. 

And if I remember correctly, Jones being hired like he was in Edm wasn't a unanimous decision. 

30k for a first game when you Guarenteed a win or free tickets until they get it....is.....something. its not the beauty queen you're making it out to be. More like nice make up on a pig.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Guarenteed Jones will never be a head coach again. Maybe a DC, but that's it. He's done exactly nothing since he took another guy's team to the GC. 

And if I remember correctly, Jones being hired like he was in Edm wasn't a unanimous decision. 

30k for a first game when you Guarenteed a win or free tickets until they get it....is.....something. its not the beauty queen you're making it out to be. More like nice make up on a pig.

They haven’t won a home game since 2019 and have been all around terrible. Getting 30k to show up isn’t as easy as you think. It was a limited number of seats not the whole building. Also - they may win, so you still have to care. 

Worse coaches than him have gotten endless chances. He is a terrible GM, and an average HC. 

Giving me a free ticket to see a shitty team and paying over priced prices for everything isn’t exactly enticing. 

15 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

This after they hired Wally Buono to consult on the hiring and he strongly advised them not to put all of their eggs in one basket.  Growing up a poor boy, I wonder if the love of money is the sole reason Jones wears as many hats as he possibly can, cause not having any assistance certainly doesn't help him perform any of his 3 jobs better.

18 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He wasn’t  the first in this league to do it - and probably won’t be the last using Chris Jones even. 

Remember Cui was hired a month after Jones was. Wasn't it Wally Buono that recommended the hire to the BOD?

Edited by WinnipegGordo

Just now, Geebrr said:

I did not remember that - so that is officially not his fault at all then. 

yeh poor Cui was hired after the fact and was forced to go with Jones....and yes...actually against Bouno's recommendations...it was just dont give all those hats...from what I hear it was don't give him any....

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

Cui needs to go to the league and beg for a special disposition. Pay a fine for going over the coaching limit or something. The League needs the Elks to be relevant and that won't happen if they can't move on from Jones and his crew. 

the league just needs to get rid of that stupid cap....why they even implemented it in first place made zero sense

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

Cui needs to go to the league and beg for a special disposition. Pay a fine for going over the coaching limit or something. The League needs the Elks to be relevant and that won't happen if they can't move on from Jones and his crew. 

Probably would be the best thing for Edmonton - pay whatever the fine would be for going over the coach cap, similar to SMS. Do whatever you need to do for a fresh start, consequences be damned.

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Source? If so then that changes things.

You need a QB or you have no chance. They have no QB. Until then it isn’t happening.

Looks like 3DownNation were the first to report it as such back in April. Everyone ran with it as fact until now:

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/15/chris-jones-doesnt-care-about-added-pressure-after-losing-season-elks-president-victor-cui/

The person with the least stability heading into next season may be Jones himself. Though he signed for four years with the Elks, according to sources his contract is structured as four individual one-year contracts, giving the team an out following each season to avoid any possible penalties to the league’s football operations cap if he is fired.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

the league just needs to get rid of that stupid cap....why they even implemented it in first place made zero sense

Edmonton getting boned twice on this deal. Wasn't the cap put in place because Sask stole Jones from Edmonton? Now Edmonton is getting screwed again, yes I know they hired Jones but now Cui and there will be no need for a 10th team if we are only 8...

Just now, GCJenks said:

Edmonton getting boned twice on this deal. Wasn't the cap put in place because Sask stole Jones from Edmonton? Now Edmonton is getting screwed again, yes I know they hired Jones but now Cui and there will be no need for a 10th team if we are only 8...

The cap was put in place because Jones in Sask had coaching staffs of like 18-20 people while most other teams had like 8.