Manitoba Politics

Wideleft

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Anyone else think she’s sliding in now to throw her hat in the ring for party leader when Stefanson inevitably gets turfed after losing the fall election?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I could see her running to replace Heather.

Funniest thing is she talks about uniting the MB PCs but she was one of the people who stabbed OToole in the back and forced him out.

Also having a convoy supporter as your campaign chair is a bad look. Guess it sells to your base but hurts you like hell in Winnipeg where you trail but 23 points.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I could see her running to replace Heather.

Funniest thing is she talks about uniting the MB PCs but she was one of the people who stabbed OToole in the back and forced him out.

Also having a convoy supporter as your campaign chair is a bad look. Guess it sells to your base but hurts you like hell in Winnipeg where you trail but 23 points.

It does seem like a strange strategical choice for the PCs. Definitely not the direction they should be looking if they want to win the election. Rural nutcase that's well known for being to the right side of the party. They already dodged that bullet when Stefanson won the leadership from Glover.

They aren't losing any support from the right side of the party, so you'd think they'd at least try to look on the surface that they are sliding left before the election.

36 minutes ago, WildPath said:

It does seem like a strange strategical choice for the PCs. Definitely not the direction they should be looking if they want to win the election. Rural nutcase that's well known for being to the right side of the party. They already dodged that bullet when Stefanson won the leadership from Glover.

They aren't losing any support from the right side of the party, so you'd think they'd at least try to look on the surface that they are sliding left before the election.

It could be the fact that Stephenson just barely won that nomination.  

16 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It could be the fact that Stephenson just barely won that nomination.  

Or maybe didn't even win if you believe Glover and co..... I do think Bergen makes sense as she represents a large part of the ideology within the party. It just doesn't seem like a good strategic choice for appealing to Manitobans that generally don't identify with her politics.

Rural PC strongholds will vote for the most leftist PC candidate, but battleground ridings will shy away from candidates that are too far to the right. Maybe she'll stay far behind the scenes and she might be good at that, but picking someone like her that clearly represents the rural right doesn't seem to be a good look for electability.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Not only is she rural right but she's never had to fight hard to win her seat as it was a very safe seat.

No, but winning the nomination is hard. 

Bergen solidifies the rural vote that may not want to fall in line behind Stefanson  Sure, they want to vote PC but someone needs to ensure they actually go out and vote. 

They're already going to lose Winnipeg but why not motivate the Konvoy crowd to make some noise.

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Anyone else think she’s sliding in now to throw her hat in the ring for party leader when Stefanson inevitably gets turfed after losing the fall election?

"To be fair".

"Bergen said Thursday the hat was not hers, and she put it on while at a restaurant in her constituency five years ago.

"Somebody asked me, 'Hey, put it on and let's get a picture,"' Bergen said.

"Knowing what I know now about what that means, I certainly would never have put it on and I wish I hadn't because it doesn't in any way represent me or what I believe or the way I live my life."

That makes me feel soooo much better about who she really is.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

"To be fair".

"Bergen said Thursday the hat was not hers, and she put it on while at a restaurant in her constituency five years ago.

"Somebody asked me, 'Hey, put it on and let's get a picture,"' Bergen said.

"Knowing what I know now about what that means, I certainly would never have put it on and I wish I hadn't because it doesn't in any way represent me or what I believe or the way I live my life."

That makes me feel soooo much better about who she really is.

Okay, fair enough about the hat. She didn't know what it meant. Suspension of disbelief. 

But, her actions and her words have shown who she is and she is most definitely a MAGAt. 

• 2 weeks later...

seems like crazy conspiracy stuff, but would the PCs go so far as to stage a situation ahead of time........and would Obby go along with it? Or maybe this is all just a big misunderstanding and taking something small and blowing it way out of proportion in the moment..... either way, this is super weird. I always respected Obby as a player, but as a politician, I'm not so sure...

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Reading those tweets and the others who say they were present... it's hard to take what they also say to heart as they all seem to be heavy NDP followers.      

I'd need a video or at least someone who is impartial to fully believe.  

I guarantee that wouldn't matter. 

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

seems like crazy conspiracy stuff, but would the PCs go so far as to stage a situation ahead of time........and would Obby go along with it? Or maybe this is all just a big misunderstanding and taking something small and blowing it way out of proportion in the moment..... either way, this is super weird. I always respected Obby as a player, but as a politician, I'm not so sure...

This is all about painting Kinew as violent.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I guarantee that wouldn't matter. 

It does matter. 

One guy has a squeaky clean, positive role model, beloved in his community background.    The other has a criminal history and a checkered past and stories of having violent outbursts even after trying to move on from the checkered history. 

The only people saying the accused is innocent are people who want his political party to win.     

I don't doubt that dirty political games are being played here but the general public will need more convincing evidence of no wrong doing.  

If Khan is proved to be a liar then that will kill any bit of good will he has.

If Kinew is proved to be a bully ,  well it will be on par with what most people already think of him so I don't see it as damaging to his reputation.  

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I would not put it past any political party to do this, especially one desperate to remain in power.  Audrey Gordon is also trying to get in on the act and just like with Obby, there is no evidence to back up the claim:

Health Minister Audrey Gordon shouted across the aisle at the NDP leader accusing him of once shoving her off a corner at River Avenue and Osborne Street.

In a statement, Gordon said the alleged incident took place during the 2016 election campaign, when she was the PC candidate in Fort Rouge and was handing out flyers.

“He approached and physically intimidated me simply for being there — in broad daylight,” she said. “He came at me with such force that I was physically moved from the location I was standing in.”

Gordon said she is unsure if she was pushed or if she “subconsciously backed up from shock… While I may have forgotten some of the specifics, I have not forgotten how Wab made me feel.”

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/04/13/tory-sport-minister-accuses-ndp-leader-of-swearing-shoving

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

It does matter. 

One guy has a squeaky clean, positive role model, beloved in his community background.    The other has a criminal history and a checkered past and stories of having violent outbursts even after trying to move on from the checkered history. 

The only people saying the accused is innocent are people who want his political party to win.     

I don't doubt that dirty political games are being played here but the general public will need more convincing evidence of no wrong doing.  

If Kinew is proved to be a bully ,  well it will be on par with what most people already think of him so I don't see it as damaging to his reputation.  

I actually agree with you here. I'd like to see the video (which apparently does exist). The MPs saying it was overblown are from the NDP. 

I'm guessing there was some altercation with some cussing and not so nice pleasantries. And maybe a rough letting go of the handshake...like kinda a toss down of it. And that's what's being turned into a violent shove that left khan shaking!!

The PCs really have to be careful with accusations though. There was the one about paying nurses to quit. The ridiculous one about the feds saying they'd take away resource control from the provinces and now potentially this....

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

This is all about painting Kinew as violent.

They don't need to do that. There is a smoking gun that is just waiting for the election call to happen coming from some highly known native leaders.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Reading those tweets and the others who say they were present... it's hard to take what they also say to heart as they all seem to be heavy NDP followers.      

I'd need a video or at least someone who is impartial to fully believe.  

Me too. The man tweeting those is a high ranking NDP constituency board member in Brandon. 

I know someone who is friendly with both Wab and Obby and has said in the past that both are good (normal) dudes.  Not your typical slimeball politicians.     I also work with some one who has been friends with Obby since his playing days and she says it's completely not in his character to make accusations and lie.    

I've met both guys once (briefly) and both seemed to me like average guys and far from your typical greasy bastards.    I remember the first time I met Sam Katz, it felt like I needed a shower based on the grease coming off the guy.    Definitely had an untrusting vibe to him.  

When I met Doug Lamont and actually had a chance to ask him a few questions,  the guy gave the answers and the aura of someone who is completely clueless (similar to Judy Wasylycia-Leis).    

I also met Brian Bowman he seemed normal and less cringey as he comes off on tv,   Cunningham seems nice but in over his head.  Both guys were no where near as slimey as Katz not even remotely close.   If only Unknown Poster was still around to tell his Katz story.  

I'm guessing games are being played and it's a matter of who is embellishing.   Either way in the end the people of Manitoba are the only ones who lose because of all the b.s.     It would be nice to have elections where candidates are all strong and the one who offers the best platform without trashing each other wins.   I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.  

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

It does matter. 

This is exactly why this issue was brought up in the house. such a transparent smear job.  Even if he did swear and give a bit of a squeeze in the handshake... it really does not need to be brought up in house- that was pure performance art... I have no love for Kinew, but the 500k, endorsing Stephanson months later and this performance... I have lost A LOT of respect for Khan. 

On CBC local evening news, they interviewed two people who were in the vicinity when the alleged exchange took place. Both saw the two individuals and heard raised voices but could not hear the entire conversation. Neither saw any pushing or any reaction from Khan following.