Manitoba Politics

Wideleft

56 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Election this fall... 

Cons have to know they are getting bounced. Writing was on the wall for Pallister last year, which is why he bailed and left Stefanson to be the Kim Campbell scapegoat. Even if she had no gaffes (and boy she sure has) the NDP were taking over come the fall. So I think the glut of public spending is two-fold. Yes, it can be a last ditch attempt to buy votes, but it also sets up the incoming government. More spending equals more deficit down the road, and so as the new opposition they can scream “wasteful spending and fiscal irresponsibility” which is the stereotype of NDP governments, and most voters will forget where the spending started. These chess moves now are about setting up the future re-claiming of power. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Cons have to know they are getting bounced. Writing was on the wall for Pallister last year, which is why he bailed and left Stefanson to be the Kim Campbell scapegoat. Even if she had no gaffes (and boy she sure has) the NDP were taking over come the fall. So I think the glut of public spending is two-fold. Yes, it can be a last ditch attempt to buy votes, but it also sets up the incoming government. More spending equals more deficit down the road, and so as the new opposition they can scream “wasteful spending and fiscal irresponsibility” which is the stereotype of NDP governments, and most voters will forget where the spending started. These chess moves now are about setting up the future re-claiming of power. 

An old playbook, but that's all they have.

17 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What's gross is that their support rose, seemingly from cutting a bunch of cheques and blaming the feds for Manitobans' woes.

It's pretty pathetic.

Shows just how crappy a lot of Manitobans think both parties are really. Everyone hates this PC government but obviously don't fully trust the NDP either.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Shows just how crappy a lot of Manitobans think both parties are really. Everyone hates this PC government but obviously don't fully trust the NDP either.

I personally think it's Kinew, himself. I'm not sure what, exactly, it is about him.......but I think he's holding them back, personally. 

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I personally think it's Kinew, himself. I'm not sure what, exactly, it is about him.......but I think he's holding them back, personally. 

He has a past that makes it hard to trust him for many people. He comes off as cocky as well. I agree that he is definitely holding them back. The NDP should be 20 points up in the polls right now. Also the party itself has not said anything of substance as to how they would govern and people really despised the last NDP government. Polls could move a lot if they would just come out and promise no tax increases, and they would govern like Doer did as a more centrist government. Manitoba likes left leaning governments but only slightly left, Manitobans voted in Pallister back to back with massive majorities each time on the promise of economic restraint, balanced budgets, and elimination of big government. The NDP can take a softer tact to that but simply cannot be too far left of centre or they will scare away those that are disenfranchised with Stefanson's PCs. At the end of the day, we've plugged our noses and voted against that style of government over and over again. That's the reality Kinew faces right now if he wants a majority government.

The NDP's path to victory is to commit to health care, while running a balanced or near balanced budget, with a continued commitment to cutting red tape, while not being overly cozy with the unions. It's not as easy as it seems for him. He will have to break ranks with some of the old guard in his party just as Doer did.

Edited by GCn20

50 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The NDP's path to victory is to commit to health care, while running a balanced or near balanced budget, with a continued commitment to cutting red tape, while not being overly cozy with the unions. It's not as easy as it seems for him. He will have to break ranks with some of the old guard in his party just as Doer did.

1. Funding should be adequate, without any need for tax increases, at least until the next federal election. There is no reason to think the Trudeau / Singh coalition will reduce transfer payments

2. Doer actually gave most unions bigger pay increases than Selinger did - nurses and teachers for sure. It took a bit longer and involved more political fan fare, but in the end, the PC pay increases were not much lower, especially COLA in Jan. 2022

3. We have yet to see a government that has a clear vision of what red tape is, much less having the capability to remove it

I agree that the NDP needs to take an approach similar to Doer and that Wab may be holding them back. That said, when have the PCs shown ability to manage $? 7 years and no balanced budgets. Removing significant $ from the public education system without having a plan in place for a) how they will replace it and b) how education will be funded. Borrowing $ to pay for education rebates, seniors and cost of living. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

He has a past that makes it hard to trust him for many people. He comes off as cocky as well.

Is anyone prepared to admit that his race and that alone has a lot to do with it for many Manitobans? Not that I am advocating that this is at all a valid reason, but the truth is there are a lot of “I am not a racist, but…..” folks out there that don’t want an indigenous person as Premier and use the “well he has a criminal past” angle, when they were happy to ignore the white collar shenanigans of Pallister or more notably Sam Katz because their wealth could help them avoid criminal sanctions, or the moral quandaries of say a Vic Toews, but hold an Aboriginal person to a different moral standard to disguise their flat out bigotry. 

29 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Is anyone prepared to admit that his race and that alone has a lot to do with it for many Manitobans? Not that I am advocating that this is at all a valid reason, but the truth is there are a lot of “I am not a racist, but…..” folks out there that don’t want an indigenous person as Premier and use the “well he has a criminal past” angle, when they were happy to ignore the white collar shenanigans of Pallister or more notably Sam Katz because their wealth could help them avoid criminal sanctions, or the moral quandaries of say a Vic Toews, but hold an Aboriginal person to a different moral standard to disguise their flat out bigotry. 

I am a full blooded native man with treaty status. FULL STOP. I do not like violence against women. Many of my family, friends, and associates of native bloodline feel the same way. I am sure that his race has a lot to do with many people's perception of him for sure. However, it is ridiculous to suggest that it is the underlying motivator when discussing his past indiscretions. Violence against women is heinous. Are there racists in Manitoba? Yea...I see it and live it everyday man and that sucks for Kinew as well but don't try to play the race card as a reason a lot of people are unwilling to dismiss his past. He has to wear it as he has never adequately been able to convince many of his innocence.

Whataboutism is weak as well.

Undoubtedly many people will not vote for him solely on the reason of race. Sad but true. Others will object to him based on the nature of his past indiscretions. It is up to Kinew to make believers out of the latter, and so far he has not been very convincing.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

1. Funding should be adequate, without any need for tax increases, at least until the next federal election. There is no reason to think the Trudeau / Singh coalition will reduce transfer payments

2. Doer actually gave most unions bigger pay increases than Selinger did - nurses and teachers for sure. It took a bit longer and involved more political fan fare, but in the end, the PC pay increases were not much lower, especially COLA in Jan. 2022

3. We have yet to see a government that has a clear vision of what red tape is, much less having the capability to remove it

I won't dispute any of that. However, during the election cycle Doer sang a much different tune and Manitobans voted for it. What you do between elections can be explained away with a good spin doctor.

On 3/28/2023 at 3:32 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

What's gross is that their support rose, seemingly from cutting a bunch of cheques and blaming the feds for Manitobans' woes.

It's pretty pathetic.

History suggests that in such circumstances, the bump in popularity is usually short-lived. The Cons have a lot of accumulated mismanagement and stupidity to live down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/candace-bergen-manitoba-pc-election-campaign-1.6796138

Candice Bergen has signed on to co-chair the Manitoba Progressive Conservative election campaign, weeks after resigning her seat in the House of Commons.

Bergen, who was the member of Parliament for Portage-Lisgar for 15 years, says she aims to unite the provincial Tories in advance of the election scheduled for Oct. 3.

"I would say the role I'm playing now is reaching out, in terms of bringing people together, bringing all the different coalitions that make up our party together, and standing behind the leader," Bergen said in an interview Thursday.

Opinion polls suggest Bergen faces an uphill battle. The governing Progressive Conservatives have trailed the Opposition New Democrats in polls for two years — a trend that began when hospitals were struggling to deal with a surge of patients during the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The numbers did not improve when Brian Pallister resigned as premier in the fall of 2021 and was replaced by Heather Stefanson. The latest poll from Probe Research earlier this month suggested Tory support has nudged up a little but is still below that of the NDP, especially in Winnipeg, where most legislature seats are.

David Akin 🇨🇦 on Twitter: "So, yes, the new #CPC interim leader Candice  Bergen was once pictured wearing a MAGA hat. In Conservative Canada, this  is a feature, not a bug. Everywhere