Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Morning Big Blue

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Views 216.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • WinnipegGordo
    WinnipegGordo

  • I liked the part where @SpeedFlex27 quoted himself so he could regale us with his illustrious curling memoir.

  • Whether he comes back to Winnipeg or not, Strev will be a Bombers legend for life, after that playoff run (and all he did within it) and the post championship celebration... Afaic, he is a Bomber for

Featured Replies

On 2026-07-23 at 5:57 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think he does the tour like Rourke & E;lgersma do. Eventually, he'll get desperate if he truly wants to play... I think he'd play in the UFL before the CFL. Our stupid rookie salary cap will keep hin=m way. A name player who was a Heisman Finalist comes up here to the CFL wanting to prove himself by playing for $75000 Canadian? Never happen.

Where would Pavia fit in here? They'd have to cut Perkins.

We could sign him for whatever we want. There is no rookie cap. There is only a NAT first contract cap but no SMS restrictions on IMPs.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

We could sign him for whatever we want. There is no rookie cap. There is only a NAT first contract cap but no SMS restrictions on IMPs.

"2. CFL (Canadian Football League)    •   2026 Minimum Salary: $70,000 CAD (approx. $51,000–$52,000 USD, FX-dependent)    •   Notes: CFL does not distinguish a separate rookie minimum — the league minimum applies to all players under contract. Summary: Roughly $70,000 CAD is the baseline salary for any player, including rookies, under the CFL collective bargaining framework." (Source: Linkedin).

There is a rookie salary cap.

Whether American, Global or Canadian, players are subject to this cap. The Bombers just can't sign Pavia for whatever they want. Imagine the complaints to the CFLPA if Canadians had to adhere to $70,000 Canadian salary cap yet an American like Pavia could sign for 8 times that??? That would make zero sense. The CFLPA would never negotiate such a thing.

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"2. CFL (Canadian Football League)    •   2026 Minimum Salary: $70,000 CAD (approx. $51,000–$52,000 USD, FX-dependent)    •   Notes: CFL does not distinguish a separate rookie minimum — the league minimum applies to all players under contract. Summary: Roughly $70,000 CAD is the baseline salary for any player, including rookies, under the CFL collective bargaining framework." (Source: Linkedin).

There is a rookie salary cap. Why do you argue with everybody over everything??? You must think you're the sonly smart person here & we're all just a bunch of clueless dumbasses.

Whether American, Global or Canadian, players are subject to this cap. The Bombers just can't sign Pavia for whatever they want. Imagine the complaints to the CFLPA if Canadians had to adhere to $70,000 Canadian salary cap yet an American like Pavia could sign for 8 times that??? That would make zero sense. The CFLPA would never negotiate such a thing.

This is the minimum salary, not the maximum you can pay a player. I'm sorry, but you are wrong about this. If the Bombers want to pay him 150k they can

From CFLdb

.Player salaries by position, age, years of experience or team are not known to the public. The CFL does not have a pay scale by position or experience, though it has introduced a scale for draft picks.

Edited by GCn20

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"2. CFL (Canadian Football League)    •   2026 Minimum Salary: $70,000 CAD (approx. $51,000–$52,000 USD, FX-dependent)    •   Notes: CFL does not distinguish a separate rookie minimum — the league minimum applies to all players under contract. Summary: Roughly $70,000 CAD is the baseline salary for any player, including rookies, under the CFL collective bargaining framework." (Source: Linkedin).

There is a rookie salary cap. Why do you argue with everybody over everything??? You must think you're the sonly smart person here & we're all just a bunch of clueless dumbasses.

Whether American, Global or Canadian, players are subject to this cap. The Bombers just can't sign Pavia for whatever they want. Imagine the complaints to the CFLPA if Canadians had to adhere to $70,000 Canadian salary cap yet an American like Pavia could sign for 8 times that??? That would make zero sense. The CFLPA would never negotiate such a thing.

I think you're confusing minimum for cap. Minimum is the lowest he can be paid, not the maximum. Draft picks absolutely have a maximum salary for their 1st contract. I don't think americans do.

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"2. CFL (Canadian Football League)    •   2026 Minimum Salary: $70,000 CAD (approx. $51,000–$52,000 USD, FX-dependent)    •   Notes: CFL does not distinguish a separate rookie minimum — the league minimum applies to all players under contract. Summary: Roughly $70,000 CAD is the baseline salary for any player, including rookies, under the CFL collective bargaining framework." (Source: Linkedin).

There is a rookie salary cap. Why do you argue with everybody over everything??? You must think you're the sonly smart person here & we're all just a bunch of clueless dumbasses.

Whether American, Global or Canadian, players are subject to this cap. The Bombers just can't sign Pavia for whatever they want. Imagine the complaints to the CFLPA if Canadians had to adhere to $70,000 Canadian salary cap yet an American like Pavia could sign for 8 times that??? That would make zero sense. The CFLPA would never negotiate such a thing.

There is a cap for drafted players, Global or Canadian. There is not a cap for American players, whether they are a rookie or not. You are mistaken on this.

And the reason for that is so that teams are able to attract high profile guys who won't show up for peanuts

1 hour ago, Mike said:

There is a cap for drafted players, Global or Canadian. There is not a cap for American players, whether they are a rookie or not. You are mistaken on this.

The quote said all players. Not just Canadians. Just going by what it said. In all the research I did online, it never once said anywhere that Americans weren't subject to a cap. If you can find a reference supporting what you said then please post it here as I couldn't.

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The quote said all players. Not just Canadians. Just going by what it said. In all the research I did online, it never once said anywhere that Americans weren't subject to a cap. If you can find a reference supporting what you said then please post it here as I couldn't.

Again...your quote said Minimum....that's not what a cap is. A cap is a Maximum. Your quote doesn't even support your own argument....even for Canadians because it's not addressing a cap at all. That quote is purely about the minimum (lowest) a player can be paid.

I found it incredibly hilarious that everyone was being so respectful to speedie after he attacked GCn20 for always turning everything into an argument while referencing something that proved he was wrong. Then he doubled down on his own lack of reading comprehension.

Absolute cinema. No notes. Chef's kiss.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I found it incredibly hilarious that everyone was being so respectful to speedie after he attacked GCn20 for always turning everything into an argument while referencing something that proved he was wrong. Then he doubled down on his own lack of reading comprehension.

Absolute cinema. No notes. Chef's kiss.

I was quite surprised as well. I didn't retaliate because it's happened to me as well and I couldn't throw a stone in a glass house...lol

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The quote said all players. Not just Canadians. Just going by what it said. In all the research I did online, it never once said anywhere that Americans weren't subject to a cap. If you can find a reference supporting what you said then please post it here as I couldn't.

From CFLdb:

The minimum player salary as dictated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement is $70,000 starting in 2023 for all players (American, National and Global players). See Section 9.01 of the CBA for full details. The 2019 CBA introduced a rookie salary structure for Nationals first contract consisting of 2 years plus a team option. Starting in 2023, a Max. Min salary (interpret as you will) is defined as $70,000 for the first two years of the contract, with a maximum housing allowance or signing/roster bonus of $7,500 per season and maximum 50% + 1 bonus based on snaps of $7,500 per season for a maximum earnings of $85,000 for first and second round picks in their first two seasons, with the third season base salary not exceeding the second year base salary by more that 10%. Third and fourth round picks have similar restrictions, except the housing allowance or signing/roster bonus is capped at $5,000 per season for a maximum earnings of $82,500. Fifth round picks and higher along with undrafted Nationals have the same restrictions except the optional housing allowance or signing/roster bonus for the first two years of the contract are capped at $2,500 limiting earnings to a maximum of $80,000 per season. There are no restrictions on the amount of contracts or bonuses for American players signing their first CFL contract. See Section 9.02 of the CBA for more details.

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He needs to be great. Like, really great. He needs to come out and pants the guys in front of him. He's gotten kind of a knock for being soft off how long the injury lingered last year. Right when he needed to step up last year too, and got a chance.

But an early non-football injury could be a pulled hammy from working out or something pretty minor. If he falls off early due to injury I think the chances he gets picked up by another team will go up too .

Manu is going to be out 12-14 weeks according to Campbell. He had an injury over the summer that he did not disclose to the team. After the first day of camp, the injury was bothering him so they took a look and it wasn't good news.

Edited by bigg jay

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Very good chance they release him outright now. Non-disclosure of injury allows them to do so without a medical settlement.

YUP...prob end of road for him in NFL I think...prob no team now will take a flier that late into season, so depending on what the injury was/is we could see him maybe late in the yr...if not I bet he here in camp next yr

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Manu is going to be out 12-14 weeks according to Campbell. He had an injury over the summer that he did not disclose to the team. After the first day of camp, the injury was bothering him so they took a look and it wasn't good news.

wow that’s brutal. basically done til the start of next years football season. even if recovery goes well, to get back into shape and get sharp it’ll be far too late

54 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Very good chance they release him outright now. Non-disclosure of injury allows them to do so without a medical settlement.

yup.

48 minutes ago, Booch said:

YUP...prob end of road for him in NFL I think...prob no team now will take a flier that late into season, so depending on what the injury was/is we could see him maybe late in the yr...if not I bet he here in camp next yr

If he did, i’d offer him a deal up here and put him right on the 6 game for the year. pay him to recover, get him in the room and working with marty even just in terms of coaching our system and film etc. Let him go between recovering at home if he wants and spending a few weeks here at a time for the medical team, resources and coaching.

I’m sure that won’t happen on either end, but i’d do it.

If Detroit cuts him, they'll have to pay out an injury settlement. Manu will have earned a little over $3 million USD.

He's not going to be in a rush to head up here. He'll wait through another off-season cycle and see if he gets into a NFL camp next year which is pretty likely. He's a 6'8 guy with a 7 foot wingspan who can move his feet. NFL teams aren't going to forgot that even if Detroit has struggled to develop him so far.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Very good chance they release him outright now. Non-disclosure of injury allows them to do so without a medical settlement.

They'd need a settlement to release him. Otherwise can keep on NFI list or shift to PUP reserve list if they think they might activate him later this season or have him sit on IR all season.

Can't get out of contract guarantees that easy.

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

I found it incredibly hilarious that everyone was being so respectful to speedie after he attacked GCn20 for always turning everything into an argument while referencing something that proved he was wrong. Then he doubled down on his own lack of reading comprehension.

Absolute cinema. No notes. Chef's kiss.

Doubled down on what, asshat?? That I got a salary cap for Canadians & Globals wrong instead of a minimum salary?? All I said was that I researched & couldn't find any references to what was explained. The way the agreement is written is confusing & clear as mud, No doubt done delibertely to keep everyone in the dark. I'm not the one arguing that coaching isn't holding back the Bombers, GCn20 is. He wants to put the blame on the players while giving the coaches a pass, then he opened himself up for criticism. as he won't stop.

Now, based on what was stated, I'll accept what was posted as I asked for proof of clarification. And I got it. I'm not going to argue something when I was incorrect. I actually learned something new today regarding the CBA. BTW, I have a question for you. How much did your law degree actually cost you with the discount coupons you cut out & sent in to the Subpoena Colada School of Law on the back of DC & Marvel comics?

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Doubled down on what, asshat?? That I got a salary cap for Canadians & Globals wrong instead of a minimum salary?? All I said was that I researched & couldn't find any references to what was explained. The way the agreement is written is confusing & clear as mud, No doubt done delibertely to keep everyone in the dark. I'm not the one arguing that coaching isn't holding back the Bombers, GCn20 is. He wants to put the blame on the players while giving the coaches a pass, then he opened himself up for criticism. as he won't stop.

Now, based on what was stated, I'll accept what was posted as I asked for proof of clarification. And I got it. I'm not going to argue something when I was incorrect. I actually learned something new today regarding the CBA. BTW, I have a question for you. How much did your law degree actually cost you with the discount coupons you cut out & sent in to the Subpoena Colada School of Law on the back of DC & Marvel comics?

I’m super happy to see you took my advice about not being such a reactionary, angry old man seriously.

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I was quite surprised as well. I didn't retaliate because it's happened to me as well and I couldn't throw a stone in a glass house...lol

I never set out to criticize you. The legal beagles here like Jesse & Noeller laughing at me can go shove it cuz chances are they don't know anymore than I did to begin with. But the good part was that I learned something new today which is a good thing in itself.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I’m super happy to see you took my advice about not being such a reactionary, angry old man seriously.

You're welcome.

  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Do we really need another quarterback?

Until we get an update on Dru and Zach, we only have Elgersma and Perkins who are healthy so i would not say it's a position of strength at the moment.

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

Do we really need another quarterback?

You’re new to the cfl. I knew it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.