Zach Collaros

Brandon

I still feel like Ottawa takes him in the expansion draft and tries to lock him up before free agency.

Winnipeg might have to pay to get that opportunity.

You don't think they take a combo of Willy and Glenn?

At most Ottawa will draft 1 QB.  They need/want to stock up NI's in the draft, and drafting a QB gives that team the opportunity to protect more NI's.  Collaros, Willy, Glenn are all free agents anyways.

And of those three, if you were the GM...which one would you set your sites on talent wise only?. except in Glenn's case I guess age would have to be a factor

Glenn's not a winner.  A guy who threw 12 passes before this season takes over the 4th quarter of a close game while he fades away.  Personally I'd have zero interest in Glenn as a starter if I were Ottawa, or any CFL team if I'm setting the goal at winning a Grey Cup.  I'd target BLM heavily, offer Calgary the 1st overall pick in the draft and a high pick in 2015 too.  Willy hasn't played enough, and while I like that Collaros has that mentality where he's able to put it all together in the 4th quarter, I have some doubts that he's working in a great environment for a young QB with Milanovich on a very good football team that would be hard to replicate elsewhere.  I'm not sure Collaros could step onto a bad team and make them a good team.  I think BLM is much more likely to be that guy, he's got the best arm (all things considered, strength accuracy placement) of all the QB's in the league IMO and he doesn't lack poise.  McPherson had a nearly perfect QB rating as a starter with Milanovich BTW.  That's when he was the next big thing.

i keep shaking my head whenever i see someone suggest that Ray won't be our QB next season...

I guess as long as there is a good backup.  Harris is a free agent is he not?  Likely #2 and #3 will be gone with at least 3 teams heavily hunting QB's in the off-season.  If Ray misses half of next season, then what?

i keep shaking my head whenever i see someone suggest that Ray won't be our QB next season...

I don't disagree with you Bluto .... but Ray is what 35? At SOME point you have to consider it, especially if you think you have a young, viable option on hand. Look at Montreal. They kept Calvillo for too long imo.  

RR turns 34 next month...that's not bad at all. With good protection he's got 5 seasons left.

I don't disagree with you Bluto .... but Ray is what 35? At SOME point you have to consider it, especially if you think you have a young, viable option on hand. Look at Montreal. They kept Calvillo for too long imo.  

he's 33 (going on 34). if you don't think that his play level and style (and the fact that he was the least sacked QB in the league before a weirdo injury) suggest that he has a minimum 3 good years left then i don't know what to tell you.

I guess as long as there is a good backup.  Harris is a free agent is he not?  Likely #2 and #3 will be gone with at least 3 teams heavily hunting QB's in the off-season.  If Ray misses half of next season, then what?

Harris is a free agent too... more of a pocket style passer a la Ray. but if i'm honest, i think that Portis will be our next Collaros-type story to emerge.

Well, I hope Walter is clear on whether trades are allowed before the exp draft...!  We could be left out in the cold otherwise...

Ottawa would be crazy not to grab Collaros (or Willy) AND Glenn if they are available in the exp draft.  Solid QB depth could turn them into a contender from Day One.

This draft could net them two QBs, at least three starting NI OL - maybe from BC, Sask and Montreal, a starting NI DL with depth (Calgary, Edmonton) and maybe even ratio-breaker like Giguere or Brouillette... plus some nice ST like Berger, McCartney, Stephan, Newman, Yurichuk.... all before free agency.  Wow.

There are teams that just have no choice but to leave real talent unprotected...  man, I hope Walters can trade for something.

I still feel like Ottawa takes him in the expansion draft and tries to lock him up before free agency.

Winnipeg might have to pay to get that opportunity.

You don't think they take a combo of Willy and Glenn?

At most Ottawa will draft 1 QB.  They need/want to stock up NI's in the draft, and drafting a QB gives that team the opportunity to protect more NI's.  Collaros, Willy, Glenn are all free agents anyways.

And of those three, if you were the GM...which one would you set your sites on talent wise only?. except in Glenn's case I guess age would have to be a factor

Glenn's not a winner.  A guy who threw 12 passes before this season takes over the 4th quarter of a close game while he fades away.  Personally I'd have zero interest in Glenn as a starter if I were Ottawa, or any CFL team if I'm setting the goal at winning a Grey Cup.  I'd target BLM heavily, offer Calgary the 1st overall pick in the draft and a high pick in 2015 too.  Willy hasn't played enough, and while I like that Collaros has that mentality where he's able to put it all together in the 4th quarter, I have some doubts that he's working in a great environment for a young QB with Milanovich on a very good football team that would be hard to replicate elsewhere.  I'm not sure Collaros could step onto a bad team and make them a good team.  I think BLM is much more likely to be that guy, he's got the best arm (all things considered, strength accuracy placement) of all the QB's in the league IMO and he doesn't lack poise.  McPherson had a nearly perfect QB rating as a starter with Milanovich BTW.  That's when he was the next big thing.

While I don't discount the potential of what you're saying about Collaros being true to an extent, let's not try and compare him to McPherson. McPherson has 240 pass attempts in his CFL career and Collaros already has 210 this season alone. He's put up more scoring drives, less turnovers and more yardage than McPherson ever did and honestly, Collaros has the *it* factor I like to see in a QB. I want a guy who can take over in the fourth quarter and make you confident that no matter what, he's going to give you a chance. Can he complete nearly 70% of his passes without Milanovich? Probably not. But he can take what he's learned and put a new team in a good position to thrive with him as their starter.

As much as I prefer Mitchell, I know he's not available so I'm all in on Collaros. Winnipeg needs him.

seeing as Ottawa, Hamilton and Montreal will likely be the other teams in for ZC, i'd obviously prefer him to go west...

You don't think Hammie is fine with Burris and LeFevour?

Burris is an UFA and i think Austin will take the opportunity to start over with someone younger.

Collaros is only a five hour drive from home in Hamilton too.

So what would you give up for Collaros?  Next years first round pick?

Given that he's a FA after this season that would be a rather *ahem* high price. Maybe pull an Eskie move and deal a 3rd or similar for the exclusive right to talk to him? But obviously that doesn't guarantee anything, and given the Ottawa complications he may be smart just to wait it out and hope for a bidding war to develop.

What ticks me off about this situation is Ray's injury. (as if out own injury situation isn't bad enough)

There's probably a very small window if anything is going to happen and I just don't see Toronto jettisoning a QB who's winning big games for them.

(Unless, of course, they'd love a soon to be unemployed actor in return.)

So what would you give up for Collaros?  Next years first round pick?

Given that he's a FA after this season that would be a rather *ahem* high price. Maybe pull an Eskie move and deal a 3rd or similar for the exclusive right to talk to him? But obviously that doesn't guarantee anything, and given the Ottawa complications he may be smart just to wait it out and hope for a bidding war to develop.

Considering all that, giving up a first rounder should be considered. Or maybe a second rounder and Henoc Muamba...then Toronto can work on signing him till Feb. 15

So what would you give up for Collaros? Next years first round pick?

Considering all that, giving up a first rounder should be considered. Or maybe a second rounder and Henoc Muamba...then Toronto can work on signing him till Feb. 15

I don't even think you need to include a 2nd rounder in that trade with Henoc. Collaros for Henoc straight up.

So what would you give up for Collaros? Next years first round pick?

I don't even think you need to include a 2nd rounder in that trade with Henoc. Collaros for Henoc straight up.

Since they're both pending FA's with the dispersal draft coming up, you might be right. Plus TO has a history of starting NI LB's.