GDT - Week 12 - Lions @ Champs

JCon

On 2021-10-25 at 2:09 PM, Bubba Zanetti said:

Mike Ludwig - Hot Take, you suck, blame yourself!

To be fair - Almost everyone who had Winnipeg ranked low did so because Harris is old and they didn't think Collaros could go very long without getting injured.

This will easily be Harris' worst season in many years due to injury (which IS an age related thing) - predicting that Oliviera would be an acceptable/good replacement is real tough given that all anyone had seen of him really was getting injured on special teams.

Collaros... well it's hard to predict that our OL would be so incredibly dominant... especially if you didn't think our run game would be as effective as it had been in the past.

Also wouldn't blame the predictors for not forseeing our defense being next level dominant given we had two rookies for corners to start the year.

Not sure why some of these observers were so surprised.  
This is a just meat and potatoes team, built from the OL/DL out.   Was apparent very early on, this year - that the GC beat down, was no fluke, and that this Bomber team would present a physical problem for anyone.
I noted back in 05, that this team had yet to take on the intensity and physicality approach of MOS, as a player......yet.
They....really....do ....now 

Edited by do or die

9 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

To be fair - Almost everyone who had Winnipeg ranked low did so because Harris is old and they didn't think Collaros could go very long without getting injured.

This will easily be Harris' worst season in many years due to injury (which IS an age related thing) - predicting that Oliviera would be an acceptable/good replacement is real tough given that all anyone had seen of him really was getting injured on special teams.

Collaros... well it's hard to predict that our OL would be so incredibly dominant... especially if you didn't think our run game would be as effective as it had been in the past.

Also wouldn't blame the predictors for not forseeing our defense being next level dominant given we had two rookies for corners to start the year.

Nothing happens in a bubble. Sure, the Bombers had some questions but did the best to keep their talent after winning the GC. Everyone else was on a wing and a prayer. 

Edmonton - you assumed that all the changes would come together and, somehow, Harris would find his way in a new system (again). 

Calgary - BLM coming off a major injury and raw rookie back-up. Also lost a ton of talent.

Saskatchewan - Trusting Faj to be someone he's never been. Plus, lots of turnover and a lack of oline. 

BC - Same oline issues and lack of receiver depth. 

So, yeah, the Bombers had some questions but I saw was writers trying to outsmart and be the first to pick a surprise West winner, trying to look clever. 

45 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I completely disagree about that OL statement. Wpg's OL has been Dominant for 4 years now. No changes coming into the year. If anything, that was the ONE thing that would have been easy to predict.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I completely disagree about that OL statement. Wpg's OL has been Dominant for 4 years now. No changes coming into the year. If anything, that was the ONE thing that would have been easy to predict.

They hadn't been just a little good so far this year... Collaros has barely been touched until Hadrick got hurt.

Most of the pundits vastly underrated our club based on what I seen was flimsy evaluation....This team was not just 'going away' after a Cup win....which was well deserved by the way....Kyle Walters is a very competent gm and never gets the credit deserved ....Couple that with the outstanding talent on this club  and you have a winner...Replacing a couple of very good players isn't that easy .... Walters was more than up to the task....What really stood out for me was the 'falling all over themselves' the media did at the begining of the year with their take on the Riders and Hamilton....LOL.....Their evaluation looks quite laughable now....

16 hours ago, do or die said:

Not sure why some of these observers were so surprised.  
This is a just meat and potatoes team, built from the OL/DL out.   Was apparent very early on, this year - that the GC beat down, was no fluke, and that this Bomber team would present a physical problem for anyone.
I noted back in 05, that this team had yet to take on the intensity and physicality approach of MOS, as a player......yet.
They....really....do ....now 

Back in '05 a full 10 years before he became our coach....that's amazing....tell me the lottomax numbers for next week...lol...jk DoD, it's a slow day....

16 hours ago, JCon said:

Nothing happens in a bubble. Sure, the Bombers had some questions but did the best to keep their talent after winning the GC. Everyone else was on a wing and a prayer. 

Edmonton - you assumed that all the changes would come together and, somehow, Harris would find his way in a new system (again). 

Calgary - BLM coming off a major injury and raw rookie back-up. Also lost a ton of talent.

Saskatchewan - Trusting Faj to be someone he's never been. Plus, lots of turnover and a lack of oline. 

BC - Same oline issues and lack of receiver depth. 

So, yeah, the Bombers had some questions but I saw was writers trying to outsmart and be the first to pick a surprise West winner, trying to look clever. 

I agree with the exception of Edmonton, Harris was coming into a system that he was very comfortable with and had a year under his belt as the QB in Edmonton. Their weakness was on defence and they made some good signings. All things looked up for Edmonton on paper. I don't think anyone could have predicted how badly they would implode. There really was reason to be optimistic if you were an Esk fan in July. Just shocking how poorly it all came together.

Saskatchewan was easily the most over rated prior to the season. I am unclear how the CFL pundits could knock Calgary down so much but raise Saskatchewan up when the exodus of talent from their teams was pretty much equal. 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I agree with the exception of Edmonton, Harris was coming into a system that he was very comfortable with and had a year under his belt as the QB in Edmonton. Their weakness was on defence and they made some good signings. All things looked up for Edmonton on paper. I don't think anyone could have predicted how badly they would implode. There really was reason to be optimistic if you were an Esk fan in July. Just shocking how poorly it all came together.

Saskatchewan was easily the most over rated prior to the season. I am unclear how the CFL pundits could knock Calgary down so much but raise Saskatchewan up when the exodus of talent from their teams was pretty much equal. 

Saskatchewan was actually picked by the majority to finish 4th or 5th in the West, based on a weak offensive line. They were the consensus #4 team out of the West. Calgary was pegged as the #1 team by almost all of 3DN. Edmonton was the most overrated as the consensus #2, with the Bombers in third. In the East, Hamilton was the unanimous #1, Ottawa was almost a unanimous #4, and Montreal shaded just ahead of Toronto as consensus #2, although 5 of the 9 writers picked the Argos to finish ahead of the Als (a pair who thought the Argos would finish last drops their overall ranking below Montreal). 
So based on where things stand, Hamilton was overrated as far as to where they would finish, the rest of the East is panning out as predicted. In the West Calgary and especially Edmonton were overrated, Winnipeg and Saskatchewan were underrated, and BC is just above what was predicted. 
The silliest rationale I found was were media said the Bombers would suffer by bringing back the core and not making enough changes to compete with the other teams who made moves, while at the same time saying Hamilton would dominate for precisely the same reason that their core was kept intact. Lazy analysis.