2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Okay, but, along with Lirim, they're pros. The hope was that Medlock could teach Marc how to be a pro and then push him. You bring in a vet kicker and let them teach him. 

Or hire Medlock to coach our new kicker for a couple of months.

16 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

McGuire's thrown the ball 3 times, completed 2, for 17 yards. He also ran 3 times for 9 yards. No one has any idea if he's any good or not yet. If we are forced to start him, my guess is he'll lose way more than he'll win. As for Danny Mac knowing what's up, we've had 1 backup QB, Streveler, show something since he's Danny's been scouting for us. I think you have to go all the way back to Brock to find a starting QB that the Bombers found.

BTW: I'm still hoping that Medlock signs with us. If not, that's another potentially huge problem.

Dane Evans says hello.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Dane Evans says hello.

Thanks for pointing out the 1 in a million that worked out.

In the last 50 or so years, the Bombers brought in Brock who became a good starter, Danny Mac who became great starter for other teams and Streveler who became a part time starter. Anyone else I'm missing?

7 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Booked my 2nd vaccine shot July 4 and just peeked at the 2021 schedule - only one Thursday night game (which the missus hates) but it coincidentally lands during our holidays. Looking forward to it... summer just got a lot more promising!

I started just taking the Fridays off after Thursday home games.

32 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

In the last 50 or so years, the Bombers brought in Brock who became a good starter, Danny Mac who became great starter for other teams and Streveler who became a part time starter. Anyone else I'm missing?

I’m confused. You decry our lack of developing starting QB’s ourselves, yet you don’t like the idea of us developing our own rookie kicker and would rather bring in another team’s castoff vet. 

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Well, with that doom & gloom attitude it's a wonder we won. Then again, you've never given the Bombers any credit at any time the past 18 months for their Grey Cup win. It was nothing but flukey circumstances & the other teams beating themselves. What fan waits 29 years to see their team win a championship & then dismisses it all as nothing but good luck??? You can't even enjoy the Bomber win by thinking if the ball had bounced the other way on every big play they'd have lost.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’m confused. You decry our lack of developing starting QB’s ourselves, yet you don’t like the idea of us developing our own rookie kicker and would rather bring in another team’s castoff vet. 

You're confused because you're not understanding what I'm typing. We've developed 2 starters and a part time starter at QB in 50 years. Therefore, it's unlikely that our current backup will develop into a starter, especially considering he got like 6 plays of CFL experience in total. It's very likely that he will struggle like most inexperienced QB's if we need to use him. BTW: Unlikely, doesn't mean it can never happen.

I don't mind the idea of developing a rookie kicker. I mind the idea of giving our rookie kicker the job without having to earn it by beating out a vet kicker and that doesn't just apply to kickers. Every player should have to earn their place on the team.

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, with that doom & gloom attitude it's a wonder we won. Then again, you've never given the Bombers any credit at any time the past 18 months for their Grey Cup win. It was nothing but flukey circumstances & the other teams beating themselves. What fan waits 29 years to see their team win a championship & then dismisses it all as nothing but good luck??? You can't even enjoy the Bomber win by thinking if the ball had bounced the other way on every big play they'd have lost.

I guess you haven't been understanding what I've been saying, so I have to say it again (Sorry to everyone else who does understand): We were a 4th overall team, 3rd in the West. We made a great trade for a QB at the last minute of the trade deadline. We had a wonderful playoff run that got us the cup. Our GC win was more like Calgary's cup when they came from 3rd in the West to beat us all those years ago. We got some luck and some bounces, but every team gets those. That's not gloom, doom, fluky or dismissive. It's what happened. I don't have to tell myself that we were a dominant team that was destined to win the cup to enjoy the win, which I very much did.

Edited by TBURGESS

31 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You're confused because you're not understanding what I'm typing. We've developed 2 starters and a part time starter at QB in 50 years. Therefore, it's unlikely that our current backup will develop into a starter, especially considering he got like 6 plays of CFL experience in total. It's very likely that he will struggle like most inexperienced QB's if we need to use him. BTW: Unlikely, doesn't mean it can never happen.

I don't mind the idea of developing a rookie kicker. I mind the idea of giving our rookie kicker the job without having to earn it by beating out a vet kicker and that doesn't just apply to kickers. Every player should have to earn their place on the team.

I guess you haven't been understanding what I've been saying, so I have to say it again (Sorry to everyone else who does understand): We were a 4th overall team, 3rd in the West. We made a great trade for a QB at the last minute of the trade deadline. We had a wonderful playoff run that got us the cup. Our GC win was more like Calgary's cup when they came from 3rd in the West to beat us all those years ago. We got some luck and some bounces, but every team gets those. That's not gloom, doom, fluky or dismissive. It's what happened. I don't have to tell myself that we were a dominant team that was destined to win the cup to enjoy the win, which I very much did.

No, we understand your constant negative views, unfortunately. We read them all the time. The Bombers will never be good enough as far as you're concerned with always something to ***** about.

You know what? I don't care if they were the third place team in the West. It made the run to the Grey cup that much better. To beat the Stamps & Riders in their buildings in front of their disbelieving fans, especially in Regina was so satisfying. Avenging that Western Final loss at Winnipeg Stadium that cut a hole in my heart from 47 years before... for me was something I waited a long time to see. Then to watch them physically dominate the so called best team in the CFL so much so that their star rookie qb had a meltdown numerous times was incredible to watch. Hamilton acted like a bunch of punks all week long leading up to that game & I enjoyed every moment of their suffering as it SHUT. THEM. UP. They were beaten so badly that the Tiger Cats have never said they beat themselves. It was an old fashioned ass whupping. So, they finished third??? So what? I don't care where they started in the playoffs as the West's third seed, it's where they finished that counted. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Well to be fair, Evans, Mitchell, Harris and collaros where all thrown into the spot light via injury to other starters....Masoli too maybe? I can't remember. It's not as uncommon as it used to be.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

We hadn't won a Grey Cup in 30 years either.  I have more confident in this current regime to know what they have in a quarterback than previous ones.   And with 2 qb's now per team there will be a decent collection of QB's floating around if Zack gets injured. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, we understand your constant negative views, unfortunately. We read them all the time. The Bombers will never be good enough as far as you're concerned with always something to ***** about.

You know what? I don't care if they were the third place team in the West. It made the run to the Grey cup that much better. To beat the Stamps & Riders in their buildings in front of their disbelieving fans, especially in Regina was so satisfying. Avenging that Western Final loss at Winnipeg Stadium that cut a hole in my heart from 47 years before... for me was something I waited a long time to see. Then to watch them physically dominate the so called best team in the CFL so much so that their star rookie qb had a meltdown numerous times was incredible to watch. Hamilton acted like a bunch of punks all week long leading up to that game & I enjoyed every moment of their suffering as it SHUT. THEM. UP. They were beaten so badly that the Tiger Cats have never said they beat themselves. It was an old fashioned ass whupping. So, they finished third??? So what? I don't care where they started in the playoffs as the West's third seed, it's where they finished that counted. 

No you obviously don't. You know what? I don't care about your spin and I waited as long as you to see the Bombers win a GC again. Last time they won the GC, I was in the stands and on the field afterwards. I don't care how Hamilton acted in your mind or that we shut them up. I do care that we won and that it was a great performance. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wait, I missed this. Brock was just a"good starter" ??? WTF?

He was a good starter. He ran up a bunch of passing records and had one of the best arms I've ever seen. He's in the hall of fame for a reason but, we never won a GC with him. We traded for Clements who took Brock's team to the promised land by beating Brock and the Ticats. The big game losses are the difference between good and great IMO. I'll take Clements over Brock every game day.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Well to be fair, Evans, Mitchell, Harris and collaros where all thrown into the spot light via injury to other starters....Masoli too maybe? I can't remember. It's not as uncommon as it used to be.

To be fair, I looked up the stats:

Evans, Signed 2017, Started 3 games in 2018, took over in week 7 2019, lost the GC.

Harris, Signed with Jacksonville, Arizona, Hartford, Buffalo, Orlando in 2011 and Toronto in 2012, Played in 2 games in 2012, played in 1 game in 2013, Started 1 game in 2014, Started the 2015 season due to Ricky Ray's injury, replaced by Ray for the end of the season and the playoffs, 2016 became Ottawa's starting QB.

BLM, signed in 2012, first start and break out year in 2013. He played in 5 games and got 3 starts. He's the best example of a young QB becoming a good starter in his 2nd pro season and he got it because both Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn were injured, not because he was the #2 guy.

McGuire, Signed with the Bomber in 2019, got 6 plays in one game after the Bombers lost both Nichols and Streveler. Bomber fans expect him to be the next BLM.

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

McGuire, Signed with the Bomber in 2019, got 6 plays in one game after the Bombers lost both Nichols and Streveler. Bomber fans expect him to be the next BLM.

Jesus tap dancing christ..... there is a vast vast difference between thinking a guy has potential enough to be a decent backup and expecting the kid to be one of the next BLM. 

Personally I really like his skillset and he showed very well in preseason so I am hopeful he can become a guy who can play. Streveler was nothing before he got his shot, why can't Mcguire do that too?

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Jesus tap dancing christ..... there is a vast vast difference between thinking a guy has potential enough to be a decent backup and expecting the kid to be one of the next BLM. 

Personally I really like his skillset and he showed very well in preseason so I am hopeful he can become a guy who can play. Streveler was nothing before he got his shot, why can't Mcguire do that too?

It's not about 'can't do'. It's about what's most probable and that's not to be a good starting QB if he has to take over from Collaros.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

No you obviously don't. You know what? I don't care about your spin and I waited as long as you to see the Bombers win a GC again. Last time they won the GC, I was in the stands and on the field afterwards. I don't care how Hamilton acted in your mind or that we shut them up. I do care that we won and that it was a great performance. 

He was a good starter. He ran up a bunch of passing records and had one of the best arms I've ever seen. He's in the hall of fame for a reason but, we never won a GC with him. We traded for Clements who took Brock's team to the promised land by beating Brock and the Ticats. The big game losses are the difference between good and great IMO. I'll take Clements over Brock every game day.

Yeah, I like Clements as well but they were the 2 of the Top 3 qbs in the CFL at the time of the trade. The other was in Edmonton but went to Houston next season. The rest of your logic is ...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4748fp174jtgmbf23rif

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Thye only thing I'll agree with you on is that yes, Brock didn't win a championship here. Whose to say it wouldn't have happened under Murphy in 1984 but it didn't as he was in Hamilton. We'll never know if he would have.

Clements was a great fit but he also lost 4 out of the 5 years he was the Bombers qb in the playoffs. Whose to say Brock wouldn't have won a couple of Grey Cups he had stayed. Clements & Brock were 2 of the Top 3 qbs in the CFL when the trade was made in 1983. The other qb played in Edmonton & he left for Houston the next season along with his Head Coach. So, to me it's a wash...

Brock got some bad advice from his agent Gil Scott who soured him on playing here. Scott has always been about the money & never about the fit. If you read his book you'll know Brock regrets his actions & wishes he wouldn't have left. Even playing in the NFL for more money after he left Hamilton didn't change the way he felt. That it was a huge mistake & he has regrets today. But such is life. We all have different paths to wander. Some good & some not so good. It's up to us to make the best of it....

As far as your other takes here about the Bombers on this thread, well...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4748fp174jtgmbf23rif

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It's not about 'can't do'. It's about what's most probable and that's not to be a good starting QB if he has to take over from Collaros.

Yeah well the most probable outcome is rarely the best possible outcome. WHy worry about that? I like the guys skill set, he showed some good awareness in the pocket in preseason, I choose to be excited about a young player rather than worry about the odds of him making it big. Be positive, we've been able to celebrate a championship team for 2 years now. Let's not get bogged down in negativity. Streveler and McGuire are not like a lot of the backups this team has brought in in the past. Sooner or later they're going to fall backasswards into somebody. why not now?

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah well the most probable outcome is rarely the best possible outcome. WHy worry about that? I like the guys skill set, he showed some good awareness in the pocket in preseason, I choose to be excited about a young player rather than worry about the odds of him making it big. Be positive, we've been able to celebrate a championship team for 2 years now. Let's not get bogged down in negativity. Streveler and McGuire are not like a lot of the backups this team has brought in in the past. Sooner or later they're going to fall backasswards into somebody. why not now?

I've been savouring this win now for 19 months. I don't give a damn about our so called record developing qbs. Most if not all teams in the CFL struggle doing the same. We won. That's all I care about. And I agree McGuire shows a helluva lot of promise as a backup. Who knows, maybe Streveler gets cut in Arizona & is back here by September. We just don't know.

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Of course the best possible outcome is rarely the probable outcome. In other news the sky is blue. Why worry that our backup QB has little to no CFL experience? Because we are likely going to need him to win games for us this year. It's very telling that you look at the probable outcome and call it negative. It means you know I'm right, but you don't want to admit it.

Speedy... Tell you what. I'll give you that Brock was a great QB who never found a way to win the big game so we can stop arguing about things that happened 40 years ago and don't have any meaning anymore. Better? How 'bout we talk about the rookie kicker being given the job, the DB situation, the backup QB and the loss of PLAP. At least that's relevant.