Random Jets News

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Chevy with a three year extension. Must be nice to be mediocre and still employed. 

How has been mediocre as a general manager?

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

This is very good news. Now get on with hiring new coaches to get this team back on track.

To Chevy and co.:

Dont Fuck It Up GIFs | Tenor

Missed the playoffs two of the last three seasons. He's won 3 playoff series in 11 seasons. Given the comments by Statsny, PLD etc, the culture is poor. I'd argue all of those things means he's done a mediocre job. Only GMs with their clubs for a longer period are Armstrong (won a cup) and Poile (at least made it to a finals).

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Missed the playoffs two of the last three seasons. He's won 3 playoff series in 11 seasons. Given the comments by Statsny, PLD etc, the culture is poor. I'd argue all of those things means he's done a mediocre job. Only GMs with their clubs for a longer period are Armstrong (won a cup) and Poile (at least made it to a finals).

It's not just the GM's responsibility for a team to be successful, though. That falls on the coaches and players, some of whom have already paid the price.

His primary duties are to draft and manage the roster and salary cap. What's been mediocre about either?

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's not just the GM's responsibility for a team to be successful, though. That falls on the coaches and players, some of whom have already paid the price.

His primary duties are to draft and manage the roster and salary cap. What's been mediocre about either?

GM is also responsible for hiring the coach, so the buck ultimately has to stop at Chevy.

Having said that, I'm fine with the extension.  I think Chevy has done a good job at the draft and filling in pieces through free agency when needed.  He has also done a good job signing players like Helle, Connor, Morrissey to long term deals.  Navigated issues with Trouba and Kane through trades (people can try and blame Chevy on these, but this is a reality any GM in Winnipeg is going to have to deal with).

I also think this is Chevy's last crack at a coach and a mini over haul of the roster, if you believe the turmoil and trade requests that are coming.  If Chevy can't make this team competitive within the next couple of years (need to at least make the playoffs next year), then it is time for a new GM and a complete rebuild.

well either way I can't wait to hear who will be hired, if it's someone I've heard of or if everyone else has heard of him or if it's someone completely new....sigh I've said it before and I'll say it again, I bet if Ducky were still here he would have probably have been a front runner

1 minute ago, Rich said:

GM is also responsible for hiring the coach, so the buck ultimately has to stop at Chevy.

Having said that, I'm fine with the extension.  I think Chevy has done a good job at the draft and filling in pieces through free agency when needed.  He has also done a good job signing players like Helle, Connor, Morrissey to long term deals.  Navigated issues with Trouba and Kane through trades (people can try and blame Chevy on these, but this is a reality any GM in Winnipeg is going to have to deal with).

I also think this is Chevy's last crack at a coach and a mini over haul of the roster, if you believe the turmoil and trade requests that are coming.  If Chevy can't make this team competitive within the next couple of years (need to at least make the playoffs next year), then it is time for a new GM and a complete rebuild.

You're right. He's managed the coaching part of his duties particularly poorly, so he deservedly wears that. That doesn't take away from what he's done well, though. And I'd have to imagine he's been extended due to the latter; the pros outweigh the cons. That isn't to say he's not on thin ice, nor does it mean he's been rewarded for the mediocre performance of the team on the ice.

All that being said, getting this next coaching hire right is so important. 

I am not sure why anyone thinks Chevy hasn't done a good job on the coaching front? Chipman hired Noel basically and then when that turned out to be a poor decision Chevy brought in Maurice. who was an excellent coach for many years, but like EVERY coach ever hired had a shelf life. That shelf life expired and he had to put in an interim HC. Could he have gone outside the organization? Sure he could have but then you are settling for leftovers. I see nothing wrong with the way Chevy has conducted business in a hockey market that very few players want to come to and stay in. Winnipeg is not a desirable location for any player or coach if they have a choice. Let's all remember that.

28 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Ultimately if the team's not successful, it falls on the guy who put everything together, Chevy.

Has his management of the salary cap been good? Wheeler's contract was poor cap management. Little's deal was poor cap management. Schmidt's deal isn't great. 

We're going into an off season talking about needing to make room for Samberg and Heinola so was his roster management that great?

His drafting from 2011-2016 is great. 2017 and beyond has it been as good?

Clearly the culture has issues given both the on ice performance and the comments by multiple players.

He's had 11 years and we're now going to make it 14? 29 other teams have changed GMs in that period. 

34 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Totally agree. Getting the vast majority of our star players to sign extensions at reasonable contract levels is yeoman's work on his part.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Ultimately if the team's not successful, it falls on the guy who put everything together, Chevy.

Has his management of the salary cap been good? Wheeler's contract was poor cap management. Little's deal was poor cap management. Schmidt's deal isn't great. 

We're going into an off season talking about needing to make room for Samberg and Heinola so was his roster management that great?

His drafting from 2011-2016 is great. 2017 and beyond has it been as good?

Clearly the culture has issues given both the on ice performance and the comments by multiple players.

He's had 11 years and we're now going to make it 14? 29 other teams have changed GMs in that period. 

There is a culture problem in the locker room and it is 100% on the players. There were incidents that took place a couple years ago that shook that room to the core and it is 100% in the locker room and involving players.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am not sure why anyone thinks Chevy hasn't done a good job on the coaching front? Chipman hired Noel basically and then when that turned out to be a poor decision Chevy brought in Maurice. who was an excellent coach for many years, but like EVERY coach ever hired had a shelf life. That shelf life expired and he had to put in an interim HC. Could he have gone outside the organization? Sure he could have but then you are settling for leftovers. I see nothing wrong with the way Chevy has conducted business in a hockey market that very few players want to come to and stay in. Winnipeg is not a desirable location for any player or coach if they have a choice. Let's all remember that.

Coaching has been bad and Chevy is responsible for that. It's been really bad. The last head coach had to fire himself. Not sure how Chevy gets a pass on the abysmal coaching that Winnipeg has had. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Coaching has been bad and Chevy is responsible for that. It's been really bad. The last head coach had to fire himself. Not sure how Chevy gets a pass on the abysmal coaching that Winnipeg has had. 

Paul Maurice lost the room, but when he had it he was as good as any coach in the NHL. It is revisionist history to base his entire tenure on his last season and a half. EVERY coach loses their room eventually. Even O'Shea will.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

You can tell Maurice is as good as the rest by all the success he's had. 

That's right. 7th in career wins in NHL history, youngest coach ever to 500 wins.  If you are judging coaching strictly by Stanley Cup wins you are going to label a LOT of very good coaches as being poor. This isn't the CFL where you have 9 teams and you're bound to win one if you are a good coach. Tons of good coaches never win a Stanley Cup. It is very difficult to do so...just ask the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

we're planning on keeping Comrie around awhile longer right?

May be an image of text that says 'FANS WINNIPEG ETS WINHIPER ™ Jets upcoming UFA's: Stastny Sanford FA Brooks Comrie OF THE WIN Dubois RFA's: Appleton Svechnikov Harkins UFA: Unrestricted Free Agent RFA: Restricted Free Agent Does not include players on the Moose roster'

Like to see Stastny back but only for the right price, Sanford meh,Brooks same.Comrie played well. Dubois of course, Apple. Svech not fast enough imo, Harkins definitely.

Just now, GCn20 said:

That's right. 7th in career wins in NHL history, youngest coach ever to 500 wins. 

First in career losses.

Only managed 92 playoff games in 23 seasons behind the bench. 

41-51 in the playoffs. One Stanley Cup appearance. 16-23 with the Jets. Managed to get out of the first round twice. 

If we're giving Chevy an extension, then it can't be the players he brought in. Must have been bad coaching. 

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Totally agree. Getting the vast majority of our star players to sign extensions at reasonable contract levels is yeoman's work on his part.

There is a culture problem in the locker room and it is 100% on the players. There were incidents that took place a couple years ago that shook that room to the core and it is 100% in the locker room and involving players.

The thing you guys are missing is that Chevy is always behind 99 % of the other Gm because of our market. We have to overpay and give longer term.

Just now, bb1 said:

The thing you guys are missing is that Chevy is always behind 99 % of the other Gm because of our market. We have to overpay and give longer term.

It's totally not an equitable situation in the NHL. Only thing he can really control is drafting and who he hires for coaching. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's totally not an equitable situation in the NHL. Only thing he can really control is drafting and who he hires for coaching. 

Yup,where do you think Fa want to go ,Florida or Manitoba?