Random Jets News

55 minutes ago, Rich said:

This was the low point for Smith for me.  Drafting Sergie Bautin in the first round when no one even knew who he was.   Then the draft believes they drafted Sergei Brylin, which was wrong, because they were scrambling. 

Bautin's NHL stats?  In 2 years played 130 games.  5 Goals, 25 assists (30 points).

Brylin, had that been who we had drafted, at least had a 13 year career with the devils.    Drafted in the 2nd round by the devils.

I have the Jets book "Coming up Short" by Curtis Walker and he seems to intimate (unless my memory is failing me) that Smith deliberately talked Fergie into trading Babych to the Whalers for Ray Neufeld to sewer Fergie and take his job.  Also, among other things Smith did to destroy the Jets:

Smith was largely responsible for forcing Dale Hawerchuk, the Jets franchise player, out of Winnipeg. Years later, Hawerchuk would state "In my era there were two Winnipegs. There was the John Ferguson era, which was positive, upbeat, a really community-driven team. And then the Mike Smith era, which was negative and pessimistic. That ran through the media. I thought I'd be a Winnipeg Jet forever, but at the end Mike pretty much made it impossible for me to really push forward with my career there."[11]

Smith made some questionable trades that would come back to haunt the Jets. During the Summer of 1993, Smith would send future Olympian, and Frank J. Selke Trophy winner Kris Draper to the Detroit Red Wings for $1.00.[12] Smith would also trade NHL All-Star Phil Housley to the St. Louis Blues for Nelson Emerson and Stephane Quintal. On November 25, 1993, Smith would trade star forward Stu Barnes along with a sixth round selection (previously acquired from the St. Louis Blues; Chris Kibermanis) in 1994 to the Florida Panthers for Randy Gilhen.

Mike Smith was mainly responsible for dismantling a young, and promising Winnipeg Jets team. By the time Smith was relieved of his Managing duties in January 1994, the Jets were last in the Western Conference.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Smith_(ice_hockey,_born_1945)

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I have the Jets book "Coming up Short" by Curtis Walker and he seems to intimate (unless my memory is failing me) that Smith deliberately talked Fergie into trading Babych to the Whalers for Ray Neufeld to sewer Fergie and take his job.  Also, among other things Smith did to destroy the Jets:

Smith was largely responsible for forcing Dale Hawerchuk, the Jets franchise player, out of Winnipeg. Years later, Hawerchuk would state "In my era there were two Winnipegs. There was the John Ferguson era, which was positive, upbeat, a really community-driven team. And then the Mike Smith era, which was negative and pessimistic. That ran through the media. I thought I'd be a Winnipeg Jet forever, but at the end Mike pretty much made it impossible for me to really push forward with my career there."[11]

Smith made some questionable trades that would come back to haunt the Jets. During the Summer of 1993, Smith would send future Olympian, and Frank J. Selke Trophy winner Kris Draper to the Detroit Red Wings for $1.00.[12] Smith would also trade NHL All-Star Phil Housley to the St. Louis Blues for Nelson Emerson and Stephane Quintal. On November 25, 1993, Smith would trade star forward Stu Barnes along with a sixth round selection (previously acquired from the St. Louis Blues; Chris Kibermanis) in 1994 to the Florida Panthers for Randy Gilhen.

Mike Smith was mainly responsible for dismantling a young, and promising Winnipeg Jets team. By the time Smith was relieved of his Managing duties in January 1994, the Jets were last in the Western Conference.[13]

Wow, thanks for these reminders. Good grief.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Thank you for reminding me about the glory days of Sergei Bautin

Anyone still have the poster of the 5 rookies who scored 20 goals?

Every time he touched the puck, nervousness set in.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Thank you for reminding me about the glory days of Sergei Bautin

Anyone still have the poster of the 5 rookies who scored 20 goals?

what year was that?
In 1992-93 the Jets had 4 rookies that scored 20 goals - Davydov, Tkachuk, Selanne and Zhamnov.  They had two vets who also scored more than 20 - Steen and Darrin Shannon.  

At that time Winnipeg set the record for having 4 rookies hit 20 goals or more in the same season.

Third String Goalie: The 1992-93 Winnipeg Jets Rookie Goal Scoring Records - 1992-93 Winnipeg Jets Teemu Selanne Jerseys

3 hours ago, Rich said:

This was the low point for Smith for me.  Drafting Sergie Bautin in the first round when no one even knew who he was.   Then the draft believes they drafted Sergei Brylin, which was wrong, because they were scrambling. 

Bautin's NHL stats?  In 2 years played 130 games.  5 Goals, 25 assists (30 points).

Brylin, had that been who we had drafted, at least had a 13 year career with the devils.    Drafted in the 2nd round by the devils.

Wow even bob is like yup let’s go Sergei Brylin but he plays for red army not dynamo Moscow but.  Mikhail smith. 

OG jets did have some euro flavor tho. 

Teemu. Zhamnov. Steen khabibulin in my opinion 2nd best jets goaltender in history behind our current guy. I was a young one but I loved khabibulin. Dude was like my first hockey hero really. Idol. Whatever.  I played goal. And yup. Tried to copy him. lol. We played at the jets arena and I got to sit where he did. It was cool. So so young tho. 

Edited by Goalie

44 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Wow, thanks for these reminders. Good grief.

Every time he touched the puck, nervousness set in.

Remember Cuilback spinning it. "Jets' forwards appreciate defensemen who can move the puck up the middle."

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

To me Bob Murdoch was the reason Dale left. Who tells an offensive forward in the 80s to play D?

Firing Fergie was a massive fire and to this day I blame that on the demise of that franchise. 7 straight playoff years and then we went to off/on for the rest. Also sneezy John Paddock who was bad at both jobs.

The Housley to STL trade wasn't bad. Quintal was solid and Emerson could pot em.

Stu Barnes trade was bad.

17 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

what year was that?
In 1992-93 the Jets had 4 rookies that scored 20 goals - Davydov, Tkachuk, Selanne and Zhamnov.  They had two vets who also scored more than 20 - Steen and Darrin Shannon.  

At that time Winnipeg set the record for having 4 rookies hit 20 goals or more in the same season.

Third String Goalie: The 1992-93 Winnipeg Jets Rookie Goal Scoring Records - 1992-93 Winnipeg Jets Teemu Selanne Jerseys

Yup it was 4. Here is the poster I just dug up from storage. The fifth was a dog apparently.

PXL-20240526-163837777.jpg

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

46 minutes ago, bb1 said:

I still remember watching a game with Davydov that he circled the opposing net like 4 times lol..can't remember if he scored lol...lot of skill 0 grit.😊

Did he spend a lot of time in Denmark in 1995? Specifically Aalborg? LOL....

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On 2024-05-24 at 7:12 PM, JCon said:

Again, no surprise. Anyone who has paid attention to TNSE knows that they're loyal to "their" guys even if it means blaming the fans for not buying up all the tickets, rather than looking in the mirror. 

Cue the Principal Skinner meme, no it's the fans that are out of touch. 

Read the transcript of his press conference introducing him as the head coach.

One of his answers he provided was he's looking for a 5-10% improvement next season with the Jets.

Regular season, playoffs, both? What exactly does this mean? 

Knowing I'm missing all of the public convo's had with SA to date so maybe this was already addressed in detail in some other media forum but wouldn't the improvement be win the Stanley Cup?

Maybe address the specific things/improvements they need to do to not only make the playoffs but to be a successful playoff team? 110 points in regular season is fantastic but means nothing if you're wiped out quickly in the first round.

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Read the transcript of his press conference introducing him as the head coach.

One of his answers he provided was he's looking for a 5-10% improvement next season with the Jets.

Regular season, playoffs, both? What exactly does this mean? 

Knowing I'm missing all of the public convo's had with SA to date so maybe this was already addressed in detail in some other media forum but wouldn't the improvement be win the Stanley Cup?

Maybe address the specific things/improvements they need to do to not only make the playoffs but to be a successful playoff team? 110 points in regular season is fantastic but means nothing if you're wiped out quickly in the first round.

If it's TNSE, the 5-10% improvement is in their bottom line. They could lose all their games, gain 10% in net revenues, and call it a successful year. 

Thought Ariel’s presser was solid. Seems like a guy all the players went to bat for also. Scheifele morrissey Lowry Helle all did. That has to be a good thing. 

did people expect them to put up 110 points? I don’t think so. That’s a huge improvement from where we were before bones came in here. Huge. 

the playoffs are on the players. We will see if Chevy and crew make some moves. There’s a few guys who stood out positively like morrissey Scheifele Connor Lowry. A few who didn’t like pionk and Ehlers and Toffoli and even Monahan. 

the improvement comes from what Chevy does. Arniel in a tough spot tho. Pretty tough to duplicate 110 points. But if they get 96 and win round 1. Is that improvement? 

will be interesting to see who Arniel adds to our staff. Wonder if they sign a woman coach. Or a vet like Todd McLellan to run the PK.