Around The NHL 2020/21

JCon

True story. In 1976, there was a Winnipeg Transit strike in February. I always took the bus to the U of W where I was attending. I tried hitch hiking the first day of the strike. I was walking north on Osborne Street close to Confusion Corner when a big Caddy stopped & the guy inside said, "Get in". I told him I was on my to schoo,l & would appreciate him dropping me off at the Bay which he said okay.

About a minute or two into the ride he put his hand on my thigh & was smiling at me. Never said a word to me. The guy was a fat **** in his 50's. I told him to stop but he squeezed even harder. I realized I was in danger so I figured I had to do something. I started punching him as he drove, banged on my door, started kicking the dash with my feet. I was screaming I was going to kill him if he didn't stop. I remember giving him a couple of shots with my fist to the side of his face. He quickly pulled over & I bailed. So, as I was in a bad situation & felt I had to do something... punching the guy's lights out was a definite possibility. If he hadn't stopped I don't know what I'd have done. I might have killed him as I was ina panic. I kept what happened to myself. Never told my parents or friends. I didn't go back to classes until the strike was over. 

So, punching a guy's lights out? Yeah. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

True story. In 1976, there was a Winnipeg Transit strike in February. I always took the bus to the U of W where I was attending. I tried hitch hiking the first day of the strike. I was walking north on Osborne Street close to Confusion Corner when a big Caddy stopped & the guy inside said, "Get in". I told him I was on my to schoo,l & would appreciate him dropping me off at the Bay which he said okay.

About a minute or two into the ride he put his hand on my thigh & was smiling at me. Never said a word to me. The guy was a fat **** in his 50's. I told him to stop but he squeezed even harder. I realized I was in danger so I figured I had to do something. I started punching him as he drove, banged on my door, started kicking the dash with my feet. I was screaming I was going to kill him if he didn't stop. I remember giving him a couple of shots with my fist to the side of his face. He quickly pulled over & I bailed. So, as I was in a bad situation & felt I had to do something... punching the guy's lights out was a definite possibility. If he hadn't stopped I don't know what I'd have done. I might have killed him as I was ina panic. I kept what happened to myself. Never told my parents or friends. I didn't go back to classes until the strike was over. 

So, punching a guy's lights out? Yeah. 

I bet he thought twice about trying that again. Some people earn their ass-kickings fair and square.

6 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I bet he thought twice about trying that again. Some people earn their ass-kickings fair and square.

The last time I ever hitch hiked. Horrible experience. Which is why I'm surprised an NHL player under contract would just let it happen. I don't believe assistant coaches let alone a lowly video coach wields that much power. 

34 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

True talent? I imagine this is based on overall team talent? I disagree vehemently. You telling me teams like Edmonton, Montreal, Minnesota, Nashville, etc have better overall team talent than the Jets??? B.S. I dont care what kind of analytic/fancy stats they used.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

What a piece of ****. Sounds like the typical fancy stats ******* who's never played the game and is just a nerd fan who wants to hang with the jocks. Gtfo. The Athletic LOVES guys like that... 

I only saw his tweet because I follow Bob Irving.  Bob had his own opinion, which of course, I am sure we all agree with!

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

What a piece of ****. Sounds like the typical fancy stats ******* who's never played the game and is just a nerd fan who wants to hang with the jocks. Gtfo. The Athletic LOVES guys like that... 

Dom cries every time his model breaks. Which unsurprisingly happens all the time - including in the Oilers/Jets series.

"I counted at least 30 uncalled penalties on DacMavid!!/1!!1@!" (that's an actual quote, btw)
lmafo, 30 eh. okay buddy. 

What about when Nurse slashed Lowry in the face? Or when Nurse launched the puck over the glass? Or when Smith played the puck outside the trapezoid?

Oh, how about when the refs blew the play dead, even though Smith clearly didn't have the puck and the Jets scored a literal GOAL with 3 minutes left in the game?

What a hack. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I only saw his tweet because I follow Bob Irving.  Bob had his own opinion, which of course, I am sure we all agree with!

Inexplicable? Hilarious. Two forward lines and two D pairings in a game that went to triple OT. I guess the simple explanation doesn't cut it...

11 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Dom cries every time his model breaks. Which unsurprisingly happens all the time - including in the Oilers/Jets series.

"I counted at least 30 uncalled penalties on DacMavid!!/1!!1@!" (that's an actual quote, btw)
lmafo, 30 eh. okay buddy. 

What about when Nurse slashed Lowry in the face? Or when Nurse launched the puck over the glass? Or when Smith played the puck outside the trapezoid?

Oh, how about when the refs blew the play dead, even though Smith clearly didn't have the puck and the Jets scored a literal GOAL with 3 minutes left in the game?

What a hack. 

Here's my fancy stats. We win, they lose. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Helle was not up to last year's Vezina standards.

Agreed.  This award (like many others) is based on stats.  That GAA and a .916 Sv% doesn't get you a Vezina anymore.  If anyone should have a beef, it's Varlamov.

Stats aside, he's probably the best of the bunch, if that makes sense.

Good thing Helley probably couldn't care less about this now.

Edited by Wideleft