2019 GREY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

JCon

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing the CFL does not do so it misses out on revenue. What do we see the minute a Super Bowl champ is crowned? The NFL selling tee shirts & caps with the name of the Super Bowl champs on them. We don't do any of that. I can't believe just how cheap the CFL is or just short sighted. I hate to say this as I'm 60 plus but it doesn't help having a 55-60 year old insurance salesman in Ambrosie running the league instead of someone like a sharp Mark Cohon who knows how to promote, market & advertise. Letting him get away was a huge mistake but not really a surprise. 

There is a boatload of Grey Cup merchandise sitting in the Bomber store right now. The winning team puts out championship gear every year. 

46 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

There is a boatload of Grey Cup merchandise sitting in the Bomber store right now. The winning team puts out championship gear every year. 

But not an ad as soon as the game is over to get your team championship merch like RIGHT NOW when it's hot!!! The stuff the players are wearing on tv in the locker room. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But not an ad as soon as the game is over to get your team championship merch like RIGHT NOW when it's hot!!! The stuff the players are wearing on tv in the locker room. 

Yeah that stuff was for sale right away. 

Championship merchandise is sold, but I agree with the larger picture stuff. The cfl does miss out on marketing.

40 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Maybe if you partnered with a a group with a world class production company that there would be things like grey cup video or behind the scenes show like hard knocks 🤔

Not worth giving up our game... 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

I just feel like you're looking for stuff to be angry about right now... 

No, even though it may seem that way, I just think the CFL has to look at the way they do business in everything they do. It shouldn't just be all about cutting personnel, players & team expenses. Everything they do needs to be examined financially for new opportunities as well as the way to do things better &/or more profitably. Their business model is broke. Nothing they do should be a sacred cow, so to speak. If they can't look at other ways to make money then they have to seriously look at an infusion of money from outside investors like Redbird Capital & the XFL to stay alive. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, even though it may seem that way, I just think the CFL has to look at the way they do business in everything they do. It shouldn't just be all about cutting personnel, players & team expenses. Everything they do needs to be examined financially for new opportunities as well as the way to do things better &/or more profitably. Their business model is broke. Nothing they do should be a sacred cow, so to speak. If they can't look at other ways to make money then they have to seriously look at an infusion of money from outside investors like Redbird Capital & the XFL to stay alive. 

Or a global player initiative to open the league up to foreign markets? Don’t look now, but you are embracing the Ambrosie vision to find new revenue sources and parroting what he has been saying about needing a new business model for the CFL. 

5 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Or a global player initiative to open the league up to foreign markets? Don’t look now, but you are embracing the Ambrosie vision to find new revenue sources and parroting what he has been saying about needing a new business model for the CFL. 

Wow, sign a player from Germany & surely the Deutchmarks will come...  "Papa. wollen Fang spielin???"

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Maybe if you partnered with a a group with a world class production company that there would be things like grey cup video or behind the scenes show like hard knocks 🤔

Yeah, love that idea. 

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't think Jpan said that. 

The NFL wouldn't be the juggernaut it is now without the vision of Ed & Steve Sabol who founded NFL Films. They did unique storytelling about the NFL & it's players. Now there is an historical library of the greats on film & video in their library going back to the early 60's.  One of the most famous was Football Follies & "Hey Mom". They credit those videos with really launcing the popularity of NFL Films. So, in honour of Mothers Day today. For all our Moms out there....

https://youtu.be/CP1ZtcH5RQM

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2021-05-08 at 7:39 PM, Noeller said:

Im gonna sell my car so i have a bunch of money to spend on rims for my car. 

Partnership at some level could be useful of course. However its pretty simple to put together a dvd with the games and some background info on a season. Almost any college has a class of kids that does this many times a year. It doesnt take a bunch of MIT grads to see this is a good idea and profitable, especially when several other leagues already do it. The fact that our brain trust cant see even these simple streams of revenue and capitalize wont be fixed by any partnership that doesnt destroy what we have. 

The league needs fresh blood with new creative ideas and ways to market to a younger audience.  The rock, redbird, and the XFL can only offer money. Money, is a symptom of the bigger problem in the cfl. All the money in the world wont change that problem. Our league leadership has been complacent for a long time. 

Hockey has taped into the national resources very well for my entire life. (the us is another thing, but hockey has always been well monetized here.) But in my life time ive seen hockey day in canada, and the WJHC explode. The WJHC went from a pretty small thing when I was a kid, to a march madness level event that taps into parts of the national market that dont follow the NHL. 

That happened because people who are passionate about hockey in canada were allowed to take leadership/ownership of events and grow them organically. People who arent passionate about Canadian football cant save Canadian football. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Partnership at some level could be useful of course. However its pretty simple to put together a dvd with the games and some background info on a season. Almost any college has a class of kids that does this many times a year. It doesnt take a bunch of MIT grads to see this is a good idea and profitable, especially when several other leagues already do it. The fact that our brain trust cant see even these simple streams of revenue and capitalize wont be fixed by any partnership that doesnt destroy what we have. 

The league needs fresh blood with new creative ideas and ways to market to a younger audience.  The rock, redbird, and the XFL can only offer money. Money, is a symptom of the bigger problem in the cfl. All the money in the world wont change that problem. Our league leadership has been complacent for a long time. 

Hockey has taped into the national resources very well for my entire life. (the us is another thing, but hockey has always been well monetized here.) But in my life time ive seen hockey day in canada, and the WJHC explode. The WJHC went from a pretty small thing when I was a kid, to a march madness level event that taps into parts of the national market that dont follow the NHL. 

That happened because people who are passionate about hockey in canada were allowed to take leadership/ownership of events and grow them organically. People who arent passionate about Canadian football cant save Canadian football. 

And just like football, hockey is a regional sport. We could learn from hockey, despite some glaring issues. 

Edited by JCon

34 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The Rock and Redbird don't know how to do marketing? 

55 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The Rock and Redbird don't know how to do marketing? 

Where did you get that? I clearly said that Leadership is the issue, and the leadership has to be passionate and progressive.  

A marketer who doesnt care about your product cant help you more than you can help your self. The xfl/redbird only cares for how much the cfl can do for them.  They have a massive pile of their own problems to deal with in respect to the XFL.  Expecting redbird/the rock to fix the CFLs issues are like expecting some one to put out your kitchen fire, while their house is burning to the ground. 

Like I said, the CFLs future and repairs could involve the XFL in some fashion. As ive mentioned before in multiple threads, keeping both games unique and independent. But it isnt the path to saving the CFL at all. It could be a brick on the path, or it could not be. 

The path to fixing the CFL starts and ends in the cfl league office / bog. American tv revenue now is a worse idea than american expansion in the 90s.  They have to try and sell their product, and develop it, to their own market. They arent in any better position to sell our product to our country than we are.  

We have seen great marketing minds fail to build and strengthen markets in football. The aafl, afl, nfle, xfl 1 and 2 had no lack of great marketing people.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It seems if a Canadian football fan is under 45 they are NFL fans. The over 45 crowd likes the CFL so that doesn't bode well for the future of the CFL if present day fans  stop attending games as they age& die off. That's the problem. Does anyone here think Randy Ambrosie has any clue how to change that??? I sure as hell don't.

At some point the CFL has to look at age demographics & if young fans want 4 down football on an American sized field then what can they do? Ignore it & die a slow death?? If a new league rises up with teams in Canada, the US & Mexico it would be complete stupidity to not be a part of it over a principle that 3 downs is superior & we must save our game when the 20 & 30 somethings don't give a ****. That's just the way it is. They don't care about the 50 & 60 year olds yelling at clouds. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

you're missing on of the best parts of marketing. You don't always wait to see what people want and then sell that to them. You often have the ability as a marketer to TELL people what they want and then show them why.

It's also been mentioned that young people don't necessarily like 4 down ball more then 3 down ball. They like the NFL because of hype etc around it. This is shown true when you look at the growth of american college ball compared to the growth of NFL. Most young canadians DON'T watch american college football. If they liked the NFL because of the rules, it's fair (not totally accurate though) to assume college ball would have similar growth patterns in Canada. Again it doesn't. So why are people (in Canada) watching the NFL but not college? And what can the CFL learn from understanding that?

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

you're missing on of the best parts of marketing. You don't always wait to see what people want and then sell that to them. You often have the ability as a marketer to TELL people what they want and then show them why.

It's also been mentioned that young people don't necessarily like 4 down ball more then 3 down ball. They like the NFL because of hype etc around it. This is shown true when you look at the growth of american college ball compared to the growth of NFL. Most young canadians DON'T watch american college football. If they liked the NFL because of the rules, it's fair (not totally accurate though) to assume college ball would have similar growth patterns in Canada. Again it doesn't. So why are people (in Canada) watching the NFL but not college? And what can the CFL learn from understanding that?

Love this...

Listen, there's a whole generation of us that were brought up loving the 3 Down Game for what it is. Why can't another generation grow up loving it for what it is? Marketing is right.....how do we get through to those kids. I'm not willing to just give up and say "we can't do it - let's just go American..."