2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

19 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

surely people here are smart enough to know the difference between someone stating an opinion as a matter of fact and stating an opinion based on how one feels... a fact is a statement that can be proven true or false... an opinion is an expression of a person’s feelings that cannot be proven... if you can prove that it wasn't how I felt or feel then you are correct, I'm wrong, but, good luck with that one, lol...

as an example, if I were to say one of the following:

a) if you don't know the difference between someone stating an opinion on how they feel or stating an opinion as a matter of fact, then you my friend or an idiot...

or...

b) if you don't know the difference between someone stating an opinion on how they feel or stating an opinion as a matter of fact, then that causes me great concern...

statement a can be proven to be correct or incorrect... if you're capable of proving that you have an IQ greater than 70 than you are indeed technically NOT an idiot, whether you choose to demonstrate it or not is not relevant...

however, statement b can NOT be proven or disproved as you have no way of knowing whether or not that I indeed have great concerns regarding your reading comprehension abilities, or anything else for that matter... there are no stats, documentation, or narrative otherwise that could substantiate the validity of my statement whether you agree or not...

it's really not that complicated... 

Do goofy images searched for and taken from the internet have any relevance ?

18 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

a fact is a statement that can be proven true or false... an opinion is an expression of a person’s feelings that cannot be proven...

it's really not that complicated... 

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/

noun

1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Not making up one's own definition of a word is usually a good starting point for discussion.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I said Nichols wasn't as tough as others who play the game,  an then you asked if that was because of his parents,  I basically said who else would be responsible for his genes. .  And his quick turtling at times might make people question his courage.  My opinion was that we wouldn't win a grey cup with Nichols as the QB.   

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/

noun

1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Not making up one's own definition of a word is usually a good starting point for discussion.

then you should take that up with the Borough Of Manhattan Community College... 

link for ya...

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

And therein lies part of the problem.  We have moved from things like dictionaries to "cheat sheets" because facts matter less and less.

yeah, it becomes a necessary evil when people aren't smart enough to interpret or understand the definition provided by a dictionary...

I'll make it real simple for ya all... if you can prove that the statement below wasn't how I felt, or for that matter, still feel, I'll concede that I was wrong, otherwise, you all are just being dicks...

"it's time to pass out apples and road maps to all three of them, MOS, Lapo, and Hall... well, after the playoffs anyway..."

7 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

I'll make it real simple for ya all... if you can prove that the statement below wasn't how I felt, or for that matter, still feel, I'll concede that I was wrong, otherwise, you all are just being dicks...

"it's time to pass out apples and road maps to all three of them, MOS, Lapo, and Hall... well, after the playoffs anyway..."

You can have that opinion.  It's just a really really dumb one, in my opinion.  It's dumb because you haven't been a fan long enough to remember the Blue Bombers merry-go-round of failure, which amounted to having a re-roll of personnel every 2-3 years.  By the way, here's a fact for you:  with the new salary cap structure for coacing staff, firing three people at once would be just about as dumb a move as you could possibly make because if would have a severe impact on coaching salaries for several years.

15 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

You can have that opinion.  It's just a really really dumb one, in my opinion.  It's dumb because you haven't been a fan long enough to remember the Blue Bombers merry-go-round of failure, which amounted to having a re-roll of personnel every 2-3 years.  By the way, here's a fact for you:  with the new salary cap structure for coacing staff, firing three people at once would be just about as dumb a move as you could possibly make because if would have a severe impact on coaching salaries for several years.

you know what? I have no problem with you disagreeing or having a different opinion than mine... in fact, I can even appreciate your different point of view... but, you can't say that how I feel isn't how I feel, regardless of whether you think I'm right or wrong...

9 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

If my opinion is that it is warmer in Winnipeg than Nairobi in the month of January, my opinion is wrong.

It is really that simple.

Opinions can be misinformed, making them fundamentally wrong.

not true, because you making a statement of fact, not opinion, that it is warmer in Winnipeg than Nairobi in the month of January... something that can easily be disproved by a simple google search... it is really that simple...

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People confuse the fact that they are entitled to an opinion with the idea that because they can have an opinion that it's also true. 

Not the case. Opinions can and are frequently wrong no matter how you feel about them

no, people confuse the fact that when they include a element of an actual fact to support their opinion that it's no longer merely an opinion and can be wrong because the fact you included to justify your opinion is wrong...

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People confuse the fact that they are entitled to an opinion with the idea that because they can have an opinion that it's also true. 

Not the case. Opinions can and are frequently wrong no matter how you feel about them

Exactly

Edited by Geebrr