It's time to hand the ball to Streveler.

White Out

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The problem is we rely too much on Harris at the expense of other talented players. I remember back in the 80's when Willard Reaves was running for anywhere from 1500 to 1800 yards a season we still had our passing game with Joe Pop, Murphy, Boyd & Tuttle having thousand yard seasons & we never missed a beat. We could score from anywhere on the field. But this offense? I don't get why it's either or with LaPo. We centre around the run game & it takes away from the passing game.  We should be able to do both but we don't.

The problem isn't that you run the ball a lot to Harris, he is a great running back any team would love to have. I think the problem is he is only one you throw to and that's the issue

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

The problem isn't that you run the ball a lot to Harris, he is a great running back any team would love to have. I think the problem is he is only one you throw to and that's the issue

exactly…. and the numbers prove out that when Harris is our most targeted receiver we are less effective as an offense...  I'm not suggesting that we don't use him, just that we also use our other skill players as well and in an effective manner, not just running short routes in the box with few targets or attempting to block for Harris...

The Bombers were prepared to back up Harris until Oliveira went down early in the year. We were all anxious to see what this kid could do. 

However, it’s not like Augustine can’t be an accomplished ball carrier. He, like many others, could be used periodically, but that’s just not the team’s philosophy.

When we learn to spell off players in game situations, like Streveler in the last game, then this team will be much fresher, and much stronger.

We run Harris a lot yup..in different ways and seem to be riding him a lot.

That being said Gable has 2 less rushes (played one fewer game too)

Powell has 2 fewer rushes..same amount of games..prob takes more punishment too behind an inferior oline 

Nobody seems to mention that those teams are walking the line of hamstringing themselves..especially considering we lead league in td passes..so we will be fine..

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

We run Harris a lot yup..in different ways and seem to be riding him a lot.

That being said Gable has 2 less rushes (played one fewer game too)

Powell has 2 fewer rushes..same amount of games..prob takes more punishment too behind an inferior oline 

Nobody seems to mention that those teams are walking the line of hamstringing themselves..especially considering we lead league in td passes..so we will be fine..

how many receiving, or overall combined touches do those players have in comparison to Harris though? after this last game Harris is on track to have 370 touches for the year, 50 more than either of those other two you mentioned... for most players that's the equivalent to playing 3 or maybe 4 more games than others...

but, even if he is able to carry that type of work load, why should he? we've shown that our production in yards and points are better when his use is managed and the ball is distributed to other play makers... Harris is a beast and if anyone can do it, he can... but the reality is, it isn't really what's best for him or the team...

and not to mention that neither of those you mentioned, Gable or Powell, have been able to play a complete season since coming to the league... Gable is averaging a little over 10 games a season since 2013 and Powell a little over 11 games a season since 2015... there is no reason to think that they won't suffer the same fate this year based upon history alone... I know you can't predict injuries but I can only anticipate future actions based upon past actions... theirs's tell me that there is an injury in both of their futures...

8 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Stats after week 9
Nichols: (161/228) 70.6% - 1,757 yards, 14 TDs, 4 INTs
Streveler: (9/13) 69.2% 82 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

I still think Nichols is our starter for the foreseeable future.

Did you darken big Chris' interceptions because you are blaming him for the picks ?

35 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Stats after week 9
Nichols: (161/228) 70.6% - 1,757 yards, 14 TDs, 4 INTs
Streveler: (9/13) 69.2% 82 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

I still think Nichols is our starter for the foreseeable future.

Particularly if Streveler is playing 2 minutes per game and thus unable to amass a decent sized body of work.

45 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm just saying, with significantly less playtime he's turned the ball over more. That stat line doesn't include any turnovers on downs (like the one against CAL, I think he had one against OTT too?)

actually it doesn't... the data you provided would indicate to me that Nichols has 4 INTs and Streveler has 2 INTs... 4 is more than 2 and in this case the provided information would indicate that Nichols has actually turned the ball over more than Streveler has...

2 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

and not to mention that neither of those you mentioned, Gable or Powell, have been able to play a complete season since coming to the league... Gable is averaging a little over 10 games a season since 2013 and Powell a little over 11 games a season since 2015... there is no reason to think that they won't suffer the same fate this year based upon history alone... I know you can't predict injuries but I can only anticipate future actions based upon past actions... theirs's tell me that there is an injury in both of their futures...

Neither Saskatchewan or Edmonton would be completely devastated if either of them got hurt too.  They would be missed but the entire offense doesn't revolve around them.

19 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

actually it doesn't... the data you provided would indicate to me that Nichols has 4 INTs and Streveler has 2 INTs... 4 is more than 2 and in this case the provided information would indicate that Nichols has actually turned the ball over more than Streveler has...

I meant given the sample size. Of course Nichols would have more turnovers, he's made ~230 pass attempts to Strevelers 13. If you were to gross up Streveler's current stats (Nichols has 17 times more passing attempts than Streveler) his numbers are gaudy:

153/221, 1,394 yards, 17 TDs,34 INTs.

Of course this is based off his current small sample size, and by no means is this extrapolation perfect... feel free to provide a better argument than "Streveler because he's just better".

Edited by Eternal optimist

3 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

true, but... 1984 was a different era and a different game... defensive players are so much bigger and so much stronger these days and the amount of punishment one receives takes it toll, I don't care who you are...

the number of touches coupled with Harris' age show tell us that it isn't a matter of 'if', but 'when' it happens...

Defensive players could take more liberties back then with offensive players like leading with the helmet legally. The game was more physical back then as the rules were different, I'd say. There were more safeties playing headhunter by emulating Jack Tatum in those days.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I meant given the sample size. Of course Nichols would have more turnovers, he's made ~230 pass attempts to Strevelers 13. If you were to gross up Streveler's current stats (Nichols has 17 times more passing attempts than Streveler) his numbers are gaudy:

Of course this is based off his current small sample size, and by no means is this extrapolation perfect... feel free to provide a better argument than "Streveler because he's just better".

I've never said that Streveler is better than Nichols... but on the other hand, I don't discount the possibility that he could be better than him... but I'm a firm believer in playing the best player, or, the player that gives us the best chance to win... unfortunately, I'm not the person who gets to actually evaluate and make that decision...

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm just saying, with significantly less playtime he's turned the ball over more. That stat line doesn't include any turnovers on downs (like the one against CAL, I think he had one against OTT too?)

As if he's in any way to blame for being stuffed on third down. Come on. He's far and away the best short yardage QB in the league. Every QB gets stuffed on third down from time to time. Very rarely is it the QBs fault. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Defensive players could take more liberties back then with offensive players like leading with the helmet legally. The game was more physical back then as the rules were different, I'd say. There were more safeties playing headhunter by emulating Jack Tatum in those days.

and I agree with you that the rules 'back in the day' allowed a more physical type of game play... however, those guys, as tough as they were, were not the physical beast that today's players have become... not to say they were strong, mean, aggressive, and at times even played dirty, lol... but you would also see these guys sitting in the locker room smoking too, lol... today's players are bigger, faster, and stronger than those of days gone by... they also play more games than those before them...

truth be told, it's probably hard to compare the two eras fairly... but you don't see today's professional running backs have the length of career that a lot of running back of the past had...  but regardless, I don't think any modern player can approach 300 to 400 touches a year for many seasons without blowing something out... a lot of todays professional running backs have already seen similar action at the college level, a lot have been used like a loaned out mule already by the time they make the pros, lol...

if nothing else, it's worth knowing and watching how it pans out...

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

As if he's in any way to blame for being stuffed on third down. Come on. He's far and away the best short yardage QB in the league. Every QB gets stuffed on third down from time to time. Very rarely is it the QBs fault. 

Alright that's fair... but he also has 2 fumbles (which WPG recovered). I'm just saying he's a bit over-hyped on the boards here. I've never seen a team sitting 6-2 calling for a starting QB change. Although the offense hasn't been stellar, even back in 2011 when they were 7-1, nobody was calling for Pierce's (or LaPo's) head.

18 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

and he could very well have 250 attempts with 175 completions, 20 TDs and still only 2 INTs... we just don't know... but we do know that at least 1 of his 2 INTs was not on him, the ball went off the hands of a Bomber receiver, a ball that should have been caught easily, and was intercepted... there are all kinds of reasons, situations, or whatever, that play into things such as this...

however, if you were to compare Bo Levi Mitchell and Nichols career numbers you'd see that BLM also has more INTS, but, he also has a win/loss record of 70-16 compared to Nichols 43-28... which QB do you take?