Is MOS Our Danny Barrett?

rebusrankin

So Danny Barrett, heck of a nice guy, spent 3 years as a QB coach and then took over a really bad Saskatchewan Roughriders club. 2 pretty bad seasons to start things off. Then 5 years in the playoffs with essentially a .500 record and he's let go. Kent Austin comes in and gets them over the top.

MOS was a ST coach, takes over Winnipeg when we were really, really bad. 2 losing seasons to start. Then two years in the playoffs losing in round 1. Year 5 seems to be trending towards a .500 mark and a 1 and done in the playoffs.

So is MOS our Barrett?

O'Shea isn't showing he can win us a Grey Cup with some of the decisions he makes. For a guy with 5 1/2 seasons under his belt & he pulls a stunt like that? The handling of the Nichols/ Streveler situation tonight just shows how his stubbornness will be our downfall. Why did he put Nichols back in?? Why wouldn't he play Streveler earlier to get experience? Please don't say the game was still close & taking Nichols out would have meant we gave up. There was no way we were ever going to win this game. This would have been a perfect opportunity to play Streveler to give him much needed experience. One can only hope that Walters speaks to him about what happened & it doesn't happen again.  Someone has to talk to O'Shea about this.  

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

O'Shea isn't showing he can win us a Grey Cup with some of the decisions he makes. For a guy with 5 1/2 seasons under his belt & he pulls a stunt like that? The handling of the Nichols/ Streveler situation tonight just shows how his stubbornness will be our downfall. Why did he put Nichols back in?? Why wouldn't he play Streveler earlier to get experience? Please don't say the game was still close & taking Nichols out would have meant we gave up. There was no way we were ever going to win this game. This would have been a perfect opportunity to play Streveler to give him much needed experience. One can only hope that Walters speaks to him about what happened & it doesn't happen again.  Someone has to talk to O'Shea about this.  

From the horse's mouth.

"Matt gives us the best chance to win."

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

From the horse's mouth.

"Matt gives us the best chance to win."

He does. Streveler is a rookie.. He's not the guy you go with right now. Hes a rookie 9 games in to his CFL career. I like Streveler and feel he has high upside if developed properly but hes super young and green still. He needs time. Despite the Nichols bashing, he is our best chance to win. 

Ive seen enough backup QBs over the last 20 plus years to know you dont rush them. 

Just now, Goalie said:

He does. Streveler is a rookie.. He's not the guy you go with right now. Hes a rookie 9 games in to his CFL career. I like Streveler and feel he has high upside if developed properly but hes super young and green still. He needs time. Despite the Nichols bashing, he is our best chance to win. 

Ive seen enough backup QBs over the last 20 plus years to know you dont rush them. 

Playing the fourth quarter after it was evident the game was over isn't rushing him. It's grooming Streveler by letting him have actua lgame experience.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

We weren't winning that game down 24 with 3 minutes to go. What does playing Nichols there accomplish? If that's not the time to put the promising rookie in to get reps, when exactly is that time? Anyone who is infuriated by this is completely justified. 

If there wasn’t a better time to keep Streveler in the game, then I don’t know what’s what. 

Players complained about the booing when Nichols went back in, but they weren’t booing Nichols..they were booing that decision to remove Streveler. 

We weren’t going to win that game at that point, but Streveler gave us energy and excitement, but O’Shea didn’t see that. Bad read on his part. 

It was a moment everybody saw..except O’Shea.

11 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So Danny Barrett, heck of a nice guy, spent 3 years as a QB coach and then took over a really bad Saskatchewan Roughriders club. 2 pretty bad seasons to start things off. Then 5 years in the playoffs with essentially a .500 record and he's let go. Kent Austin comes in and gets them over the top.

MOS was a ST coach, takes over Winnipeg when we were really, really bad. 2 losing seasons to start. Then two years in the playoffs losing in round 1. Year 5 seems to be trending towards a .500 mark and a 1 and done in the playoffs.

So is MOS our Barrett?

I was kinda thinking this myself.  I do believe when the O'Shea years end he'll have brought this franchise to a much better place than where he found it, and I would certainly keep at least some of the cultural changes he and Walters have brought to it.  But I'm starting to think the 12-6 record and getting to host the WSF is about the ceiling of what he can do.

He'll have had 5 years after this season, and if he completes another he'll have been the longest tenured Bomber head coach since Cal (Dave Ritchie was 5 1/2 years).  I think that's enough chances that any coach could ask for to win a cup.

If he doesn't do it within another year, I think we gotta consider moving on.  Question is would we reinstall Lapolice to that role and give him another crack at it now that Joe Mack is gone?  Or do we gotta get an outsider to do it who might have a completely new way of doing things?

Lapolice has been in a lot of ways better than I expected him to be as OC since my expectations were essentially zero but if someone wants to make him their HC, they can have him. He will be the same guy he was as HC here and hopefully we could take advantage of his numerous coaching blunders for some free victories. 

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

I am a Nichols supporter and agree with what you're saying.  I don't think we should move on from him at all because I believe he will get it right and Lapolice will get a rhythm going with the offense again.

But I agree with the posters who say Streveler should have finished out the game in garbage time.  Nichols took a few shots and after the last one I would have called it a night for him for his long term health sake.  It was garbage time so it was the perfect time for Streveler to get more snaps under his belt.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

If there wasn’t a better time to keep Streveler in the game, then I don’t know what’s what. 

Players complained about the booing when Nichols went back in, but they weren’t booing Nichols..they were booing that decision to remove Streveler. 

We weren’t going to win that game at that point, but Streveler gave us energy and excitement, but O’Shea didn’t see that. Bad read on his part. 

It was a moment everybody saw..except O’Shea.

O'Shea has mentioned several times that Streveller has already played more than was expected this season, as if that is a valid reason to quit developing him and let him sit.  Since Nichols return they have severely limited Streveller's opportunities and have not made use of his abilities since the B.C. loss.   Is it a coincidence that LeFevour was also restricted to only one dimension?

If we don't win a playoff game this season I think the time will have come to evaluate keeping MOS on as HC. That will have made it 5 seasons as HC & no playoff wins. All bets are off if we miss the playoffs. After games like last night fans have to wonder if he's the guy that can win us a Grey Cup as HC. He took over a very bad football team & made them contenders. Maybe another coach can lift the team higher.

I just remember the Ray Jauch years 1978-82.  He lost in the playoffs in 78. 80, 81 & 82.  He left for the USFL but by that time the team was looking to make a change at HC anyway & he just hastened the process.  Cal Murphy took over in 1983 & won a Grey Cup in 84 with most of Jauch's veterans on that GC team with the exception of Dieter Brock who was traded to Hamilton for Tom Clements. 

I have a feeling that MOS can only take this team so far & someone else may have to come in & finish the job. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

O'Shea has mentioned several times that Streveller has already played more than was expected this season, as if that is a valid reason to quit developing him and let him sit.  Since Nichols return they have severely limited Streveller's opportunities and have not made use of his abilities since the B.C. loss.   Is it a coincidence that LeFevour was also restricted to only one dimension?

Goalie's going to explain to us why leaving players on the bench is good strategy, especially if the incumbent is stinking out the joint. Unless of course, a player decides to leave to try to find an opportunity to play elsewhere .. then it will be irrelevant. I wonder how long Streveller will be happy sitting on the bench while Nichols struggles.

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we don't win a playoff game this season I think the time will have come to evaluate keeping MOS on as HC. That will have made it 5 seasons as HC & no playoff wins. All bets are off if we miss the playoffs. After games like last night fans have to wonder if he's the guy that can win us a Grey Cup as HC. He took over a very bad football team & made them contenders. Maybe another coach can lift the team higher.

I just remember the Ray Jauch years 1978-82.  He lost in the playoffs in 78. 80, 81 & 82.  He left for the USFL but by that time the team was looking to make a change at HC anyway & he just hastened the process.  Cal Murphy took over in 1983 & won a Grey Cup in 84 with most of Jauch's veterans on that GC team with the exception of Dieter Brock who was traded to Hamilton for Tom Clements. 

I have a feeling that MOS can only take this team so far & someone else may have to come in & finish the job. 

O'shea receives at least one more "Mulligan" from Walters, and if he needs to he will use it to replace Hall.